relax

Author Topic: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this  (Read 16125 times)

Offline Debbie

• Senator
Re: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2007, 09:01:07 AM »

I'm not old enough to remember Vallone Senior's methods, and I wonder what they were? Maybe if that shoe fits we need to wear it! I can tell you firsthand that today's methods involve reposessing stolen bikes, arresting/ticketing illegit riders, and writing down licence plates of riders who jet from a vehicle stop, to be arrested at a later date...which is why you see dopes "fold up" their licence plate.

One year, word has it that something occured between the bikers and one of Vallone Sr's sons.  This may be just plain old gossip.  Anyway, that entire summer, there were two police officers assigned to 19th Street.  One was on the Hoyt Avenue North side and one on Ditmars.  When the one on Hoyt Avenue North (he was undercover) saw that the bikes were racing down 19th Street, he would radio the cop at Ditmars and the biker would get ticketed or worse!  That was the quietest summer ever!  This does not need to happen every night, just randomly so that these guys do not take the chance of racing down a residential street. 

Offline ddanny999

• Activist
  • Residential Evil 4
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »
On July 1st, the new noise code takes effect that allows the NYPD officers to ticket motorcyclists if their vehicle is audible at 200 feet:

SUBCHAPTER 6
SPECIFIC NOISE SOURCES
PLAINLY AUDIBLE AND OTHER STANDARDS
§24-236  Motor vehicles.
(b) Motorcycles.  No person shall cause or permit any motorcycle to operate on a public right-of-way where the muffler or exhaust generates a sound that is plainly audible to another individual at a distance of 200 feet or more from the motorcycle.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »
I hope the new noise code works.  A lot of effort and thought went into crafting it, but the proof will be in how it works.  I'm praying it helps reign in my noisy nightclub neighbor and I would be happy if it can get the bad motorcycle folks to be more quiet.

Offline cthulhu

• Citizen
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2007, 06:48:29 PM »
They're at it again tonight up near Ditmars. Saw a pack of 6 or so on the kawasaki-style motorbikes with colorful jackets and helmets. They go way to fast and the lead bike was popping a wheelie the whole way up 21st street RIGHT NEXT TO PS122 when kids were getting out of the after school program there. Saw and heard them again on Ditmars and down Crescent I think.

Called 911, told them. "Well send assistance right away" the operator said. "I don't need assistance! Go get these bikers!"

Hello? Any cops in Astoria these days?

oh--I see some people got parking tickets today. :roll:

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2007, 07:50:32 PM »
Again, this is a major topic for discussion during our meeting with our representatives.  I am trying to organize this.  The key is to get enough of us to attend in order to make an impresssion!

SeminoleB

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »
They're at it again tonight up near Ditmars. Saw a pack of 6 or so on the kawasaki-style motorbikes with colorful jackets and helmets. They go way to fast and the lead bike was popping a wheelie the whole way up 21st street RIGHT NEXT TO PS122 when kids were getting out of the after school program there. Saw and heard them again on Ditmars and down Crescent I think.

Called 911, told them. "Well send assistance right away" the operator said. "I don't need assistance! Go get these bikers!"

Hello? Any cops in Astoria these days?

oh--I see some people got parking tickets today. :roll:

That's just dumb for those guys to be riding like that in a neighborhood, let alone near a school, and even further alone the fact that it's right AFTER school where the chances of a kid running out are even greater.  More than a few bad apples give us sportbike riders a bad name.

On July 1st, the new noise code takes effect that allows the NYPD officers to ticket motorcyclists if their vehicle is audible at 200 feet:

SUBCHAPTER 6
SPECIFIC NOISE SOURCES
PLAINLY AUDIBLE AND OTHER STANDARDS
§24-236  Motor vehicles.
(b) Motorcycles.  No person shall cause or permit any motorcycle to operate on a public right-of-way where the muffler or exhaust generates a sound that is plainly audible to another individual at a distance of 200 feet or more from the motorcycle.

First off, while I think obnoxiously loud bikes in an area this populated (although mine could probably be considered close, it's not Harley-without-mufflers-loud), this law will be really tough to enforce and hold up in court.  Plus, the fine is something ridiculous (IIRC $440 bucks).

On top of all of that; ever heard one of the police motorcycles?  THOSE things are loud enough to fail the 200' test.

Trust me, I ride a sportbike that has an aftermarket exhaust and even I think the way some of these guys ride is pretty obnoxious.  There's no need to be revving the thing constantly or testing its redline when you're riding through a neighborhood.  It's just inconsiderate.  But, no matter where you are or what you're doing, there's gonna be a-holes in this world. 

We live in a noisy city and it's part of the cost/charm/experience of living here.  When I hear a dump-truck bed/semi-trailer crashing onto it's frame as the driver goes too fast over a bump, the trash trucks that seem to be driving by my window, the sound of jackhammers at 8 AM, the neighbor's dog barking as the million (it seems like) people pass by, the bus going by (which is probably 500', and two streets away, but I can hear it every time), the gypsy cabs honking outside someone's house, motorcycles flying by at redline and constantly revving their engines, etc., I realize and understand it's just part of living in New York City.  That's why there's "No Hoking.  $350 fine." signs with cabbies laying on the horn and cops doing nothing.

Noise it the universal language of NYC.  I don't agree with an obscene amount of noise or ANY of the unsafe riding practices in the neighborhood and I wish you guys the best in your fight.  All I ask that you please don't let it get to the point of a crusade against all motorcycle riders.  We're not all guilty by association.   

Offline SmazenySyr

• Resident
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2011, 03:02:32 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but it steams me that these groups of racing bikers are out nearly every Saturday night in the summer and nothing seems to be done about it. Tonight, they've been racing up our block for the last hour (it's 2:00 am), and when I called the precinct to complain, there's no answer! A recording just advises you to call 311...and 311 is so swamped with noise complaints that they don't answer either--they just recommend filling out their "Night Noise Survey"...which doesn't get sent to any city agency. So...aside from earplugs, what are people doing about it?

Offline eblack

• Senator
  • Kickstarter for Lyla Tov Monsters coming June 4th!
    • Lyla Tov Monsters
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but it steams me that these groups of racing bikers are out nearly every Saturday night in the summer and nothing seems to be done about it. Tonight, they've been racing up our block for the last hour (it's 2:00 am), and when I called the precinct to complain, there's no answer! A recording just advises you to call 311...and 311 is so swamped with noise complaints that they don't answer either--they just recommend filling out their "Night Noise Survey"...which doesn't get sent to any city agency. So...aside from earplugs, what are people doing about it?

I've called my local precinct before and was told not to call them directly.  This wasn't about a noise complaint, but all the same, they said to call 911.  911 is for any immediate matter, it seems, not just emergencies.  So, if the law is being broken, like they're speeding on the street, call 911.

Offline Clearview

• Council Member
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2011, 09:08:55 PM »
dont call vallone he is a biker too

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life