relax

Author Topic: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this  (Read 16665 times)

amynuzz

Re: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »
we were talking to a few neighbors outside our building this morning about doing exactly that - i think there would be a good turnout if we try and get a group together for the next council meeting (Tues July 10, i think).  Wow, before I could even type that one sentence, 2 bikes screamed past my window.

and by the way - i've also had mixed feelings about being put through to 911.  but when i look down shore blvd and see an ice cream truck sitting there with kids all over the place, i think it's totally appropriate to agree to speak to 911. 

though, last summer a drunk driver with a car full of people blew the stop sign and hit the barricades to the river well past midnight.  it was an open-window night and woke everyone on the block.  i'll bet we all called 911 and it took them an astonishingly long time to show up...maybe an hour?  so i wonder what kind of an impact our calls have, other than creating a good 311 record.

anyway a trip to the next tuesday night meeting could help salvage some peaceful summer nights...i plan to be there.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2007, 09:48:56 PM »
Am I going deaf?  It is a lovely Saturday night and I am sitting in my Living Room on 19th Street opposite Astoria Park and have not heard a single motorcycle go by for over two hours.  I did receive a response to my letter from our precinct claiming that they are really clamping down hard on the racing motorcycles.  Apparently, they have issued many summonses and even arrested a few individuals.  Do you think the message is getting out?  I have noticed a great many police cars in the area recently.  Has anyone else noticed a difference?

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2007, 09:51:32 PM »
I must admit I've noticed a few less motorcycles over the last few weeks. I still hear them racing down 29th Street every once and a while, but it's not quite as bad as the beginning of summer. It only happens maybe 3x a day now instead of 10x maybe. Last night I had a few bad ones racing down 29th Street near Ditmars at about 10:00pm, but after those two incidents it seemed a bit better.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »
I've noticed too! Yeah they're still out, one last night was especially noisy, but I haven't had to call the cops as much. There were nights I called twice it was so bad, and I can't stand this issue being ignored any longer.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2007, 10:09:33 PM »
My feeling is that our calls to 311 and our precinct are making a difference.  Once we let up, they will start coming around again.  If you hear  bikes racing, make the calls!

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2007, 10:44:27 PM »
Tonight they're acting up again......gonna hafta call before bedtime.

I think the Mayor is paying attention, heard on the news the other morning that NYC is starting to crack down on noise pollution in general, including construction, trucks etc.  :lol:
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

PizzaTheHut

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2007, 11:36:38 PM »
I live above the boulevard and can hear them buzzing past at night as I'm drifting off to sleep.  They don't really bother me that much; but if you guys hook me up with a stock, I could see if I can pick them off with baseballs from my window before they get to you.

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2007, 10:32:03 AM »
I'm a motorcyclist- and I have to say, I probably get more annoyed than most of you do. I don't understand how I can easily ride a motorcycle without redlining my engine at every stoplight to make sure everyone in a 10 mile radius knows I'm compensating. It's not that hard to ride my motorcycle at a reasonable noise level. I could even have an after market muffler on and still be able to keep it quiet.
It is really annoying that those jerks give us a bad rap in public, and I hope everyone on this board is able to make the distinction between a true rider, and an annoying over-revving poseur (Usually spotted by improper positioning of a helmet, and wearing a wife-beater, XL Shorts and Sandals while riding).

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2007, 03:03:41 PM »
They haven't been as bad on 33rd Street lately - though I keep seeing packs going up 31st and making lots of noise.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2007, 04:33:23 PM »
I get the occassional bike zooming down 48th Street, which actually I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't set off every freaking car alarm! 

Nighthawk

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »
Before anyone questions my position, I'm a motorcycle rider AND an active community service volunteer with the police department...

Astoria riders usually break up into a few sordid groups:

1A) Sportbikers (Obnoxious type)
- These guys don't know the first thing about riding. No licence, no training, no helmet, bike is stolen and runs like absolute **** because they have no idea how to tune it. They spend more money on the frooty "MotoGP Racer" outfit then they actually spend on the bike itself. These are the dopes who only ride from their house to the park when the weather is clear so they can talk like 50cent, rev their motor and see who is loudest, pretend they're an outlaw moto-gang, and front about how cool they are. These people need to either get locked up, or smack into the nearest tree at a buck50...either way is fine by me, (provided they don't hurt anyone else in the process). Go down to Astoria park on a clear hot summer night and MARK MY WORDS...you'll see at least one guy wipe out or get ticketed while he's trying to outdo another guy's stunts.

1B) Sportbikers (Cool type)
- These guys are harmless. They're moto enthusiasts with LEGITIMATELY EQUIPPED AND OPERATED sportbikes who don't go fast unless they're on a race track. You don't have to worry about these guys, and it's VERY easy to lump them together with the obnoxious sportbikers. For shame, if you do!

2A) Harley guys (Obnoxious types)
- Midlife crisis 58 year old guy who wants to relive his 20's before his joints lock up from arthritis. Acts like he's Peter Fonda in Easy Rider. They're so different from the sportbikers that they're ALIKE! These guys too, are guilty of spending ludicrous amounts of money on a 20,000$ chrome p**is extension, throwing loud pipes on it, and pontificating about how their Harley is better than ANY other kind of bike.

2B) Harley guys (Cool type)
- Again, generally middle aged gentlemen who know every nut and bolt of their bike and are just out there to enjoy the ride. Not only are they harmless, but being that they're older they can offer tons of good advice to any younger rider.

3) Cruisers
- Not a sportbike, not a Harley. Just a plain looking bike. (Think: Honda CB) You don't see many cruiser bikes in Astoria, or in general because they are not popular around here. Cruisers are great on gas, generally not that quick, and mainly used for cheap transportation. You won't get much trouble from these guys.

4) Chinese food delivery guys
- Just a joke, lol...

I was in the park the other night, and some idiot poser decided to do a burnout under the Triboro. The smoke was so thick passing cars couldn't see a thing. Then it was like something out a movie...this marked patrol car cuts through the smoke like a flashing KNIFE and physically boxes in the offending rider. I don't know what happened as I had to leave, but he was standing there for a while with the rider. I'm guessing something might have been up with the rider's paperwork?

A good friend of mine is a 15+ year veteran cop at the 114, and I asked him about this "Motorcycle Initiative" they've started...and he said it basically amounts to rustling up the guys under the Triboro and bangin' them with tickets. I asked him what happens if a policeman sees a moving bike acting stupid, or if someone runs from a legit vehicle stop. He said the policy is "BYE-BYE~!" Quality of life complaints DO NOT justify the endangering of pedestrians, policemen, riders, and other passers by via a high speed pursuit. Therefore, In case it wasn't stressed enough already, I want to stress again: NYPD cannot and WILL NOT chase a motorcycle in motion unless the rider just committed a MAJOR crime. Even then, there is a slim to nil chance you're catching a 120 horsepower sportbike that weighs all of 400 pounds...with a big stupid CrownVic. The long and short of it is that if you see/hear a motorcycle acting like a jerk, just remember this:

Motorcycles are the ULTIMATE Darwin tool. Be civilized and you're ok, act like a jerk and I assure you the other option is not as appealing...

I'm all about anti-crime initiatives, but it really burns me when I see resources wasted like this. Go read up on community occurences, and you'll see that due to shortages, our leaders have just taken away another two policeman "slots" at our 114, meaning there's now two less policemen working in there. This stupid city can't even keep the veteran cops from running away, nor can it convince 21 YEAR OLD COLLEGE KIDS to sign up for a paltry 25k a year (before the tax-man!)...and now we gotta waste time breaking motorcyclists' chops? I say give Traffic Agents the power to go down there and bang offensive riders with tickets, and let the regular police deal with assaults, robberies, etc. (Sorry if that paragraph was off topic.)

To anyone who paints all motos with one brush and/or is pro-ZERO-tolerance, I say this: Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. You say you want tougher police presence to bust motos? Odds are if you want the police to use zero discretion, then I'll bet you are the same one who would turn around afterwards and complain that "THEY'RE JUST SITTING THERE NOT DOING ANYTHING BUT WRITING TICKETS!" or "THIS INCREASED COP PRESENCE FEELS LIKE A POLICE STATE!!

P.S.- Glad to join the board!

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »
The noise is a quality of life issue.  Enough is enough.  Thank you for all the distinctions; I am certain that the 'riders' who plague us are of the Obnoxious type.  Having lived here since the 70's, I can attest to the fact that the police were once able to control this.  They used various methods.  This happened the year that Peter Vallone Senior really decided to tighten the screws.  I think he did this due to a personal experience with the bikes.  Anyway, any police presence that puts an end to this is welcome by me, and I am not particularly thrilled by the thought of a 'police state'.  My experience with Police comes from Anti-war demonstrations and believe me, when the invasion of Iraq commenced, the cops were very tough.  They arrested many of us and they were brutal in some cases.  I would however, be absolutely thrilled if they were able to do something about the noise level that these bikes produce.  They race, and they need to be stopped.

Nighthawk

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
It's a real quagmire, the obnoxious riders...

I'm not old enough to remember Vallone Senior's methods, and I wonder what they were? Maybe if that shoe fits we need to wear it! I can tell you firsthand that today's methods involve reposessing stolen bikes, arresting/ticketing illegit riders, and writing down licence plates of riders who jet from a vehicle stop, to be arrested at a later date...which is why you see dopes "fold up" their licence plate.

It's getting to a point where unless somebody comes up with a creative and peaceful way to fix said quagmire, here is what will happen:

Obnoxious riders will just take the licence plate off their bike, dress nondescript, and ride it with both middlefingers in the air MUCH FASTER than before to avoid EVERYONE, bucking every police checkpoint/vehicle stop until they reach their destination. It's very difficult to catch someone like that, because by the time the police radio squawks out a vague description "male on a black bike wearing bright leather jacket"...that rider is already in South Jersey!

Nobody with a good brain wants a police state over loud motos, obviously. But yes, the racing and hot-dogging needs to be stopped and I'm sure as we speak the department is cooking up something. I know TOO many guys who have gotten seriously wounded on motocycles, and one too many who DIED on their bikes.

Now I don't wanna go off topic here, nor do I wanna say the department is perfect...but to their defense I will say that much like motorcyclists, the good work done by good motorcyclists (rides for cancer, rides for the children, charity-toy runs)... and good policemen (arresting thieves, rapists, busting obnoxious motos) is often besmirched and overlooked due to the bad apples in every bushel. Such a shame. :|

The noise is a quality of life issue.  Enough is enough.  Thank you for all the distinctions; I am certain that the 'riders' who plague us are of the Obnoxious type.  Having lived here since the 70's, I can attest to the fact that the police were once able to control this.  They used various methods.  This happened the year that Peter Vallone Senior really decided to tighten the screws.  I think he did this due to a personal experience with the bikes.  Anyway, any police presence that puts an end to this is welcome by me, and I am not particularly thrilled by the thought of a 'police state'.  My experience with Police comes from Anti-war demonstrations and believe me, when the invasion of Iraq commenced, the cops were very tough.  They arrested many of us and they were brutal in some cases.  I would however, be absolutely thrilled if they were able to do something about the noise level that these bikes produce.  They race, and they need to be stopped.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2007, 02:57:13 PM »
Never mind "quality of life," it's harassment. This isn't the same as, say, grafitti.

Nighthawk

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2007, 06:33:35 PM »
Generally speaking, it would be extremely hard to charge a biker with any degree of Harassment. Harassment, as defined in the 40th Chapter of NYS penal law requires that "...He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no legitimate purpose..."

OR

"...He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same..."

Harassment is a crime committed BY one person AGAINST one person, not a group. It would be very hard to prove an obnoxious rider INTENTIONALLY follows ONE given person around with INTENT to piss them off with a loud bike, beyond all reasonable doubt. Harassment is more for a crazy ex who suffers from Fatal Attraction. :lol:

I DEFINITELY see what you mean though :mrgreen:...obnoxious motos are VERY aurally harassing, and I agree 100%. Unfortunately, short of the rider singling you and/or getting off his bike and shoving you, it's not possible to charge an obnoxious rider with any degree of Harassment. HOWEVER...I want to advise everyone the proper criminal offenses obnoxious moto riders can be charged with. Should you find yourself at any town meetings, feel free to speak out and cite these pieces of the NYS Penal law. Also, you may come to find yourself in a situation where you are asked by a policeman "Do you wanna press charges?"...and if you are, these are the criminal offenses you oughta aim for:

================================================
240.10 Unlawful assembly

A person is guilty of unlawful assembly when he assembles with four or more other persons for the purpose of engaging or preparing to engage with them in tumultuous and violent conduct likely to cause public alarm, or when, being present at an assembly which either has or develops such purpose, he remains there with intent to advance that purpose.

Unlawful assembly is a class B misdemeanor.
==============================================

==============================================

240.20 Disorderly Conduct

A person is guilty of disorderly conduct when, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof:

1. He engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior;  or

2. He makes unreasonable noise;  or

3. In a public place, he uses abusive or obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture;  or

4. Without lawful authority, he disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons;  or

5. He obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic;  or

6. He congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse;  or

7. He creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose.

Disorderly conduct is a violation.

====================================================

=====================================================
Section 120.20 Reckless endangerment in the second degree

A person is guilty of reckless endangerment in the second degree when he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person.

Reckless endangerment in the second degree is a class A misdemeanor.

=========================================================

Section 120.25 Reckless endangerment in the first degree

A person is guilty of reckless endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances evincing a depraved indifference to human life, he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death to another person.

Reckless endangerment in the first degree is a class D felony.

==========================================================

========================================================

Section 145.25 Reckless endangerment of property

A person is guilty of reckless endangerment of property when he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of damage to the property of another person in an amount exceeding two hundred fifty dollars.

Reckless endangerment of property is a class B misdemeanor
=========================================================

Hope this helps. :police: :2cool:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life