relax

Author Topic: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this  (Read 16391 times)

Offline Alison

• Senator
Re: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2007, 01:07:21 PM »
I once called the 114th precinct about making a report when my windshield got smashed (omg, I'll never let that go, haha), and they told me to call 911. I was like, "really? This isn't exactly an emergency - the car is being fixed, it happened last night sometime, no one is hurt, I just wanted to have a report done for my records," and he told me again to call 911. So, if its not an emergency, it might be good to call 311 or the precinct, but they might tell you to call 911.

I live on Steinway, and they were screaming north on my street last night, pretty late (maybe 1 am?). I heard them coming, and I looked out the window just in time to see 3 bikes blow through the red light at 21st Ave (good thing no one was traveling through the intersection) and they were FLYING. I don't have any experience estimating speeds, but they were going way, WAY faster than I've ever seen anyone go on I-95 (I used to have a view of 95 at my old job in CT, and the average speed was 70ish). How they don't crash and burn every night, I have no idea.

I had never heard them before, but maybe that's because I'm usually asleep at that hour. Seeing them blow that light was scary - I don't drive a ton, but when I do, I do a lot of my driving at off-times. If I had been driving right then on 21st Ave, I would have just traveled through the light like normal, and probably been killed, even in a car - they were definitely going fast enough to do some MAJOR damage.

I have to admit, I didn't call 311/the precinct/whoever (neg nod me now!) but I did wait a little while to see if they came through again. They didn't, but if they had, I would have called.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »
For those of you who are discouraging us from dialing '911', I would just like to remind you that drag racing is dangerous and illegal.  This is what is going on down 19th street across from the park every night.  They line up at Hoyt Avenue North and race all the way to Ditmars.  Someone will get hurt someday.  They also curse at cars that are following the speed limit because they cannot get around them sometimes.  This has gone too far.  This is the letter that I have sent to the Inspector and I suggest you all do the same thing:

ASTORIA RENNAISANCE COMMITTEE
c/o Debbie Riga
24-09 19th Street
Astoria, NY 11102
917-576-1924

Inspector McCarthy
114th Precinct
34-16 Astoria Blvd.
Astoria, NY 11103

May 30th, 2007

Dear Inspector McCarthy,

I am writing to you on behalf of hundreds, if not thousands of residents of Astoria who have to deal with the noise of motorcycles throughout the day, and particularly during the night.

This issue has been in existence for decades.  The number of motorcycles and the resulting noise has increased; what has changed is the profile of the residents of the area.  While my parents were reluctant to do anything, there are hundreds of younger, professional residents who will do whatever it takes to end this cycle (pardon the pun).

Attached, please find a series of responses to a blog posted on Astorians.com recently.  There have been 681 views of this particular issue on this website thus far.  In addition to this, you will find a flyer that has been circulating throughout the area.

We often hear from the precinct that there is not much that can be done, and that chasing down motorcycles poses a danger to the general public.  Whilst this may be the case, there are actions that have been taken (albeit occasionally, based on the pressure that the precinct received from our local representatives) in the past that were effective.  These include:

Undercover police presence in the area.
Police checking licenses and registrations.
The posting of a police car on either the Hoyt Avenue North side of Astoria Park or the Ditmars side of Astoria Park.
Stopping motorcycles, which have been racing down 19th Street at the corner of 19th and Ditmars. 
Police speaking to the owners of motorcycles who park on Shore Blvd and warning them not to race.
Ticketing for noise pollution.

We understand that your resources may be limited, and indeed there are other pressing issues.  We also know that this particular situation has NEVER been tackled, head on and fully by our precinct.  This is a major quality of life issue that needs to be addressed.  We ask for your commitment this summer to address this.

Thank you,

Cc:
Councilman Peter Vallone Jr.
District Manager George Delis
The Honorable Mayor Mike Bloomberg

Offline eblack

• Senator
  • Kickstarter for Lyla Tov Monsters coming June 4th!
    • Lyla Tov Monsters
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 05:31:49 PM »
911 is an odd thing.  Years ago, I was visiting my brother in Manhattan when I didn't live in the city.  He called 911 because a car alarm was going off.  I thought that was crazy, but they took care of it.

Years later, I called 311 (what a great invention!) because a car alarm was going off for a half an hour.  They put me through to 911.  It seems that some "non-emergencies" still go to 911, so don't bother discouraging people from calling it.  It's the proper protocol.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 08:39:06 PM »
Seriously, if I'm the only one calling 911 they're going to think I'm just one crackpot making stuff up. I'm calling 2x/night if need be.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2007, 11:02:20 PM »
For those of you who are discouraging us from dialing '911', I would just like to remind you that drag racing is dangerous and illegal. 

I thought we were talking about noise. If it's drag racing and people running red lights, yes, that's 911 appropriate.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2007, 11:09:47 PM »
Yes indeed - drag racing all around the park... all night long... it would be nice to open the windows for some air but who can sleep through 10 to 20 of these bikes racing down the street!

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »
Even when I called 311 re: the noise, they asked if it was "in progress" and switched me to 911. Which suits me just fine. When noise is relentless and excessive, it's harassment.

in fact, the motorcycles just set off some car alarms for the second time in the past hour.  :ticked:
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2007, 12:22:24 AM »
I received a copy of a letter to Inspector McCarthy.

May 14, 2007

Inspector Brian McCarthy
Commander
114th Police Precinct
3416 Astoria Boulevard
Astoria, NY 11103

Dear Inspector McCarthy:

I am enclosing two more e-mails regarding motorcycle noise in the Astoria area. I know this is a problem your department takes very seriously and I appreciate whatever measures you take to enforce the laws in this area.

Thank you for your courtesy and cooperation in the matter.,

Very truly yours,
Peter F. Vallone, Jr.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2007, 01:06:49 PM »
 :? Am I the only one that's never heard a motorcycle in Astoria? I live near Ditmars by the park and I haven't heard one yet.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2007, 01:45:45 PM »
Things were relatively quite by bedtime last night.......until the wee hours when a loud {{{BANG!!!}}} woke me up  :-o Sounded like a gunshot right outside the window. My cat was freaked and my heart was racing... but luckily that was it  :-(

Offline alia

• Citizen
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
last night the motorcycles not only kept me up, they woke up my 3 year old. he slept through the fire engines and the police sirens (we live at 21st st and hoyt), but the blessed motorcycles woke him up out of a sound sleep.

so, i'm now going all medieval mom on their asses. sign me up for whatever.

so sleep deprived i want to cry.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2007, 05:58:37 PM »
Just call 911.

Offline costa01

• Council Member
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 12:41:09 AM »
I'm new to this side of Astoria and to the website in general, but have we tried organizing ourselves and going to a police council meeting about this. They meet the 2nd Tuesday of every month, if there are a bunch of us they would have to take it seriously.  I agree with the others that I have no problem with someone riding legally, but the races and the noise are out of control on Astoria Blvd at night.  Would anyone be up to going to the Police Council?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »
I think a group outing to the Community Council would be a good idea. 

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »
Even better: Get the loudest motorcycles to ride past the building during the meeting  :mrgreen:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life