relax

Author Topic: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this  (Read 15787 times)

Newtownian

Re: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 12:25:30 PM »
First of all, I want to set up camera where they race.. Then, as they come flying down push a mannequin on a skates across the street.. Then watch them wipe out! I should look this up on you tube! I'm sure you'd REALLY hear some screaming. :evil:

This is of course all in jest.

Newtownian

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 12:28:18 PM »
oh, one more bit that ticks me off about the motorcycles.

There is a guy in our neighborhood that takes up a whole parking space for his bike. I was driving around looking for parking for 40min (alt-side) and this douche bag took up whole spot! Meanwhile, there is a space between two driveways. It's about 5-6ft long (too short for a car) always available! Talk about selfish.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »
I agree with all of you that nothing will happen about the motorcycle noise unless people in the neighborhood report and complain to the pols and the police and no offense to the spirit of activism in these posts but you are not the first Astorians to complain about this issue.

The neighborhood has a long history of 'loudmouths', many in my own family (and I say this with pride, not derision) who take this seriously and DO know how to work the system but nothing ever gets done.

In my opinion it's simply no use to say to the authorities "do something." You need to tell them what to do and in my 40+ years of Astoria living the only action taken that has had any affect to abate (not eliminate) the noise is the setting up of roadblocks/check points by the police, along Ditmars and other major streets AND closing off Shore Boulevard on weekend evenings/nights.

But these kind of checkpoints requires a huge effort in terms of staffing and expense and I don't think the city wants to spend the money. It also means inconvenience to every driver held up in traffic, car honking, and people who resent the police presence -- all which generate more complaints, so there is a trade-off here.

I had asked this in another posting on this subject: What other actions do you think would help alleviate this problem? In my experience it's always helpful to have a solution to every complaint.

Grand28, I am responsible for the speedbumps on 19th Street.  It took a great deal of perserverence to get them in.  Our local representatives were shocked that a citizen was able to do what they had tried (they claim) for years to accomplish but could not.  Long story so I will not go into it.

You may recall that one summer many years ago, checkpoints were indeed set up.  The reason this happened is also a long story.  Anyway, I seem to recall it was a time when the city was in a state of recession, but they dedicated two cops every night.  They should do this again, occasionally.  A few years ago, they staged a 'raid' on Shore Blvd. and confiscated some bikes.  They should do this again too.  They are professionals by the way, and should know how to go about doing this.

SeminoleB

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 11:26:45 PM »
Even as a motorcycle rider, and a somewhat loud one at that, I understand where you guys are coming from.  Racing on city streets, revving the engine needlessly, or even riding in packs late at night is not very conscientious of those around you.  Living in a city that is so crowded, we all owe it to ourselves to watch out for others wishes (I won't go into anything about people on cell phones, texting, honking, etc.). 

I will speak in "I," just for simplification.  I'm not making an attack or defending myself so much as I'm trying to play Devil's Advocate :evil:.  There are always at least two sides to every argument.

As for the parking in full car spaces: First of all, my main goal is to be able to chain my motorcycle to a street sign.  Coming with living in such a dense city, also comes the added bonus of a higher theft rate.  Since finding a garage that is reasonably priced or allows sharing with other motorcycles is tough, I am unable to properly secure my motorcycle off the street.  Chaining it to a sign is about the best deterrant I have. 

Just because the motorcycle is smaller and could fit between two driveways, doesn't mean that I should be forced to not secure it if I can, just because I might take up an entire spot on the street.  I pay the same registration and insurance that you do and should be afforded the same rights.  You have the same access to the spaces as I do.

Also, I have had an issue with someone hitting my motorcycle when I was parked perpendicular to the curb to save space, in between cars.  There was enough room for them to parallel park but, whoever it was, didn't look or realize the bike was back there, and they hit it, knocking it over.  They also weren't kind enough to leave a note and my insurance had to cover it.  Not fun for me.

But, there is an easy way to address the situation: Write them a note asking if they would mind parking in the spot between two driveways.  If the person is chaining up their motorcycle, they might not want to park it in the smaller spot (if there is not a sign there) and try to understand why.  If it continues to aggravate you, then maybe you could work out a deal to help secure them a spot around a sign (eg, park a little behind/in front of one so that it can be held for them).  Personally, I'd be willing to do that; they might too.

I'd also be more than willing to park on the sidewalk on the passenger side of the road, if I didn't get a ticket or end up ticking someone off who can't get out of their car as easily (so, they have to let people out BEFORE getting to the spot).

We all have to live together and put up with each other's actions, all within reason, of course.  I agree with calling 311 about excessive noise and definitely with calling 911 on anything that endangers lives. 

However, it can definitely go too far that it would affect us legal riders.  The cops won't be able to tell us apart and we'll be harassed, just because we happen to be on a motorcycle in Astoria. 

I can't go off on every person I hear telling a stupid story about breaking up with their sig. other while riding on the train because it's not illegal to talk on the phone in public.  Even if I'd like to stand on the platform and interrupt their conversations.  All I ask, as a motorcycle rider, is that there doesn't become a vendetta against all riders.

Thanks for listening to my opinion. 

Offline don

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 05:33:24 PM »
Bravo!
But some peple just hate motorcycles.
Ride safe

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 10:02:59 PM »
Well, the noise pollution season is in full swing  :oops: The other night, I couldn't sleep AT ALL due to the violent noises outside my window. I think I called 911 two or three times while half-asleep. It's torture, some of these motorcycles are obscenely loud.

Just like right now!! I'm not letting up. From now on, if the noise gets to the point where I'm stressed out and it's not letting up, I'm calling 911. Been putting up with this crap my entire life.  It's either :ugly: and :killme: or :police:
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 11:11:14 PM »
{{{sigh}}} they're still out in full force, despite a second call to 911 (and a dispatcher who sounded exasperated.)

I'm furious. Why can't they be stopped?! I'm going nuts for lack of sleep.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline ddanny999

• Activist
  • Residential Evil 4
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 02:58:53 AM »
Here is a better way to handle motorcycle (and boom car) noise problems:

Call 311 and file a complaint every night that you hear loud motorcycles.  Copy down the incident numbers as they give them to you.

Call or visit the 114th Precinct and request to speak to Community Affairs (Officer Chatham, Officer Caponay).  Present the incident numbers that show there is a history of motorcycle noise in your immediate area.  Go to the 114th Precinct Council monthly meetings and speak directly with Inspector McCarthy.

If you don't speak up about it, the problem will continue.

The NYPD currently has Operation Silent Night program where they target noise offenders.  Riders caught with loud aftermarket exhaust systems can receive a summons.  Also, the revised noise codes take effect on July 1st that will hopefully give the NYPD additional enforcement powers in handling problems like this.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 03:04:17 AM by ddanny999 »

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 03:58:07 AM »
I was waiting outside at Agnanti the other night, and there were groups of motorcycles turning at the Ditmars/park intersection at least once every 5 minutes. I feel for you guys that live right there.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 08:37:40 AM »
Isn't 911 for emergencies only?  Noise isn't an emergency and should be reported to 311, the department of environmental protection or the local precinct.  911 operators are not supposed to handle noise complaints, and one wouldn't want to tie up the phonelines from real emergencies.  You should report the noise, but just to the right department :)

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »
You know what? We need to rethink "noise pollution" as more than a mere nuiscance; it's harassment. If somebody kept pounding on my door shouting, "Wake up!! Wake up!!!" all night long, I wouldn't be calling 311.

In any case, every time I DO call 311, they put me right through to 911. It takes less time to call 911 directly (so the 311 operator doesn't need to explain to 911 what it's about first as per procedure.) Each call takes about a minute and a half, and I'm not the least bit worried that I'm "tying up the line."

This morning, there were cars and motorcycles SO LOUD around 6:30, I wanted to cry from exhaustion. They stopped around 8 and the silence was beautiful, but I had to get up by then.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »
While jogging around the park tonight, noticed quite a few cops on Shore Drive, and they looked busy. When one obnoxious Harley dude turned right to go up toward Ditmars, one of the cops headed in that direction.

Don't know if they were specifically looking for motorcycles, but it was good to see.

Right now, just had to call 911 as the drag racing has started loud as ever. I'll take my phone to bed if need be, some of these guys are brutally obnoxious beyond the basic annoying loudness.

SeminoleB

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 12:26:14 AM »
This bums me out.  Mainly because it is not fair to you guys that have to deal with it.  It really sucks that us two wheel faithful and conscientious are going to be the ones that will probably really suffer.

Again, for what little it's worth, I apologize for the ill behavior of my moto brethren and hope that you can find some solace sometime soon.

Just don't throw a rock at me if I happen to go by Astoria park sometime :)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2007, 03:18:05 AM »
Christine, have you tried calling the local precinct? I would think they'd be more well-equipped to deal with it than 311 or 911. I understand that noise is a big issue, but I wouldn't call 911 about motorcycles just as I wouldn't call 911 about the guys upstairs playing atrociously loud music every night. Both things keep us awake and make us very angry, but 911 isn't around to deal with that sort of thing.

But getting so worked up about the motorcycles is not helping your ability to sleep. For your own sake, try to calm down about it, while you calmly call the local precinct and calmly write letters to the local council members and possibly even Bloomberg about getting cops to enforce noise laws at night, if they're going to at all. To the motorcycle riders: enjoying your bike around the park is one thing, but it's not right to be cruising around on a purposely loud bike for all hours of the night in a residential area.

And this isn't meant to be patronizing so don't take it as such, but if you don't already have a fan in your room, that could also help to drown out the noise in the meantime so it's not quite as startling.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2007, 07:00:44 AM »
I think you should talk with Councilmember Vallone, Jr. and request a meeting with the Community Affairs Officers at the 114th Precinct - they both might be able to get more enforcement in your area.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life