relax

Author Topic: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this  (Read 16668 times)

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Re: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »

Features                                  April 11, 2007

New Noise Code Means Quieter Precinct
BY RICHARD GENTILVISO

Although it's almost three months away, it wasn't hard to imagine summertime when temperatures soared above 70 degrees last week. But the lazy, hazy, and noisy days of summer will also see the advent of a new noise code this year, revised by the city for the first time in over 30 years when it takes effect on July 1.

Signed into law by Mayor Michael Bloomberg more than a year ago (Local Law 113 of Dec. 29, 2005), the code is intended to alleviate noise complaints, which continue to be the number one quality of life issue for city residents. "There is an average of 1,000 noise complaint calls to 311 every single day," the mayor said on Aug. 21, 2005 during his weekly radio broadcast.

In 2002, Bloomberg came to Astoria Park to announce "Operation Silent Night", a citywide initiative by the New York Police Department that specifically targeted areas with chronic and disruptive noise. Among the areas cited were 30th Avenue to Newtown Road, 30th to 33rd Street, Shore Boulevard, Ditmars Boulevard and Astoria Park South, all in the 114th Precinct.

"I know about Astoria Park, I know about Shore Boulevard," said Captain Ralph Forgione, the new executive officer of the 114th Precinct at the March meeting of the community council. Reviewing prior complaints, Forgione said he expected more this summer, especially about motorcycles.

"[The] motorcycles start coming in waves around 11 at night," said a resident of Astoria Park South. "If they're not registered or inspected, I will ticket and confiscate [the motorcycles]," said Forgione.

Full article here.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline gertrude

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »
Thank you so much for starting this thread. What is it with Astoria and exhibitionists on modified bikes? I have the joy of living on 42nd Street near Broadway, a few blocks from the Harley Davidson Store on Northern Blvd, so I definitely know all the noise and speed. We are also lucky enough to have two of these exhibitionists living on our street who love to rev for 1/2 an hour and do laps to set off every car alarm in the neighborhood. I will happily call 311, but I have noticed that some cops are owners of these of bikes, so do they really care?

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 06:57:30 PM »
>bump<

It's motorcycle season in full swing. Just got back from shopping around Steinway and while it's never been like Fifth Avenue, it's becoming trashier than ever with the addition of cruising motorcyclists.

There's all kinds of inconveniences we have to put up with in exchange for cheaper rent; however, this is the one thing that puts me over the top, making me want to move out of here.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 09:35:38 AM »
The Harley's were racing up and down the street last night (Ditmars), and cross streets (28th St, 29th St, 23rd Ave) from 10PM, through Midnight. And at 2:45AM there were 3 modified bikes that were racing by as well. This is the loudest I've ever heard them. I've emailed Vallone, and filed complaints with 311. Please consider doing the same if you hear them - there is no reason for this level of noise in a neighborhood at 2:45AM.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 11:50:12 AM »
I'll agree with merm that last night was the absolute loudest I have ever heard them. They kept going around the block and doing it over and over and over again. We usually have nature sounds going on at night to block out outside noises/traffic when we sleep, but last night whenever they would drive by they were blocking out our nature noises. A-holes. :x
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 03:39:30 PM »
Folks - we must make the calls.  It is the only way to get any of our local politicians to do anything.  This issue has been around since I was a teenager (we moved here in 1973).  The problem was that most everyone was was a first generation immigrant and they really did not know how to navigate the system.  The new Astorians know better and can write the letters or make the calls.  I am personally distributing fliers to residents opposite the park on all sides with instructions on who to call and what to say.  Please read my first comment at the top.  If they receive a few hundred complaints, they must react.

Thanks,

DR

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 07:34:15 PM »
I just called about an hour ago, but I swear, whatever happens after I call makes them *worse*  :x

Did you hear the triple "gunshot" noises as they went up and down Hoyt?? Sounded like three cannonballs right outside, then another three down the block a few seconds later, then MORE.......

Anyway, I plan on calling again a little later b/c I know they'll still be out there.

Freakin' a-holes.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

svalka

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »
I'd like to add to all of this that motorcycles with modified or removed mufflers are not merely a nuisance/disturbance. The high frequencies and decibel levels (especially those incredibly loud "gun shot" noises) can cause real damage to your hearing, especially if you are a pedestrian on the street as they go whizzing by. This is a real noise pollution/public health issue. Protect your ears!!!

Handyman

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 08:42:25 PM »

Did you hear the triple "gunshot" noises as they went up and down Hoyt?? Sounded like three cannonballs right outside, then another three down the block a few seconds later, then MORE.......

Freakin' a-holes.

I did hear that.  I was wondering what made that noise.    Are we really suspecting gunshots, or could it have possibly been backfiring?

I'm off Hoyt South and 23rd and I can't decide if it's worse than normal or just that since this/these threads started I've noticed them more.    Do you think we can get them to stop the trucks from downshifting on the bridge too??

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 09:05:42 PM »
They were going down 31st Street last night.  It was quite loud - I wonder if the tracks may magnify the sound?  (the trains drown it out though when they're overhead, I would bet).  I haven't heard them on 33rd Street recently.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »
McDirk, I wonder if those were the same group I heard on 48th Street & Broadway last night.  It wasn't too late, though, maybe right before sundown. 

I'm off Hoyt South and 23rd and I can't decide if it's worse than normal or just that since this/these threads started I've noticed them more.    Do you think we can get them to stop the trucks from downshifting on the bridge too??

The bikes coming from Astoria Park down Hoyt Avenue South were the bane of my existence when I took that god-awful walk from the the train to my apartment on 18th Street.  Worse than the bikes, in my opinion, were the annoying and blinding custom headlights, but cars are for another thread!

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 11:38:35 PM »
Getting the trucks to stop bouncing and downshifting would be heavenly..........a dream that may never be realized but another thing I fantasize about constantly.

I'm pretty sure the gunshot noises was actually backfiring, like the jerkoff figured out that clever trick that his a$$wipe pals will now emulate.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 04:52:23 AM »
I agree with all of you that nothing will happen about the motorcycle noise unless people in the neighborhood report and complain to the pols and the police and no offense to the spirit of activism in these posts but you are not the first Astorians to complain about this issue.

The neighborhood has a long history of 'loudmouths', many in my own family (and I say this with pride, not derision) who take this seriously and DO know how to work the system but nothing ever gets done.

In my opinion it's simply no use to say to the authorities "do something." You need to tell them what to do and in my 40+ years of Astoria living the only action taken that has had any affect to abate (not eliminate) the noise is the setting up of roadblocks/check points by the police, along Ditmars and other major streets AND closing off Shore Boulevard on weekend evenings/nights.

But these kind of checkpoints requires a huge effort in terms of staffing and expense and I don't think the city wants to spend the money. It also means inconvenience to every driver held up in traffic, car honking, and people who resent the police presence -- all which generate more complaints, so there is a trade-off here.

I had asked this in another posting on this subject: What other actions do you think would help alleviate this problem? In my experience it's always helpful to have a solution to every complaint.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 09:27:29 AM »
Speed bumps along Hoyt for starters.

Snipers- you know, round up the people with criminal tendencies who would otherwise shoot innocent people, and let them have at it with the motorcycles. Cheap and effective.

(Okay, that's pushing it, but it's one of those fantasy-solutions of mine when I get really upset about it........how about if we give them pellets instead of bullets?  :roll: )

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 10:59:23 AM »
Last weekend, police were staked out on 20th avenue and ticketing illegal engines/(whatever makes them loud, I have no idea) and no helmuts.

If something is illegal, I get it and it is annoying. I've walked by these guys and it actually offends my aural cavities. If you don't like it because it is a regular motorcylce and it is too loud, you live in the wrong city.
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life