relax

Author Topic: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this  (Read 16492 times)

Offline Debbie

• Senator
What to do about the motorcycles - please read this
« on: March 26, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
Everyone - although someone has started a thread regarding the noise pollution already, I had to begin a new one because we (my neighbors and I) have been fighting this for years and have a bit of experience.

Yes indeed, every one of us must call 311 immediately.  This is where the calls get logged and even the Mayor has a look every now and then.  If the bikes are racing, which they often are, you may be put through to 911, which is fine, because racing is an illegal and dangerous activity.  Also, you should put in a call to our local precinct, 718-626-9311.  If they ask you to call 311, say the following - Thank you, I have already called 311 but since YOU are our local precinct and since you are responsible for the area, you need to know so that you can respond.  You must then give them the location where the bikes are creating the noise.  You should also tell them that these motorcycles gather by the East River, near Astoria Park.

My neighbors and I have begun distributing fliers regarding this.  If any of you are interested in giving out fliers and spreading the word, please send me an e-mail and I will send you an attachment.

We have been dealing with this for years, but this is the first time that I truly feel we can make a difference!  We must bombard them with calls.

Thanks,

DR

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Have to start a new thread re: Noise Pollution and Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:28:29 PM »
I think calling 311 does help and hopefully will get us more and better enforcement.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
What to do about the motorcycles - please read this
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:34:48 PM »
My neighbors and I are distributing these fliers:

MOTORCYCLE SEASON IS NEARLY HERE!!!

EVERYONE WHO LIVES IN THIS AREA KNOWS WHAT IS IN STORE FOR US!  AS SOON AS IT GETS WARMER, THE MOTORCYCLES WILL BE OUT, RACING AROUND THE PERIPHERY OF ASTORIA PARK.

LET’S NOT ALLOW ANOTHER SEASON LIKE THE LAST ONE!  IF WE ALL WORK TOGETHER, WE CAN GET OUR COMMUNITY LEADERS TO DEAL WITH THIS QUALITY OF LIFE ISSUE.

THE NEXT TIME YOU WITNESS OR HEAR THE MOTOCYCLES SPEED PAST YOUR HOUSE, PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL:

311 – TELL THEM THAT THE MOTORCYCLES ARE RACING, MAKING NOISE AND CREATING A HAZARDOUS SITUATION ON THE STREET.  IF THEY PUT YOU THROUGH TO 911, DO NOT WORRY; SIMPLY LET THE OPERATOR KNOW THAT RACING IS GOING ON AROUND ASTORIA PARK.

718-626-9311 – THIS IS THE NUMBER TO OUR LOCAL PRECINCT.  WHEN THE OFFICER PICKS UP, TELL THEM THAT THE MOTORCYCLES ARE OUT RACING.  DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO TELL YOU TO CALL 311.  TELL THE OFFICER THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY CALLED 311 BUT ARE FOLLOWING UP WITH THE LOCAL PRECINCT BECAUSE THEY ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE.

IF WE DO THIS CONTINUOUSLY, THEY WILL LISTEN TO US.  IF YOU WANT PEACE IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD, MAKE THE CALLS!

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:47:51 PM »
Can someone explain to me what is considered excessive noise and what is considered dangerous activity. I ride a Vespa and would like to know if I am under attack as well.
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline Melee

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:00:54 PM »
Not being involved in the above, but living on 21st near the park, I REALLY don't think a vespa is a problem! Nor is your average motorcycle. But when something 'hotted up' ie: the muffler has been removed, is driven at high, loud speeds repeatedly (ie: they are clearly doing circuits of the area) for an entire day/evening, generally in a pack of them (at least 2 or more bikes at a time), THEN we have a problem. Lets also add that there's an awful lot of needless revving going on. I have lived with people who own bikes, my father included, ridden a couple (tho not on my own) and have nothing against them in the normal course of things. This is not the normal course and I completely agree with the campaign to get this sort of behaviour policed because it is very disturbing to residents. Running red lights and speeding is also included in the behaviour - I've had to jump out of the way just crossing the road in front of my house, with the lights in my favour..

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:18:33 PM »
I agree with Melee - it's the bikes with the illegal straight pipes that are the problem.  I think they are usually the ones driving recklessly and popping wheelies as well.

Offline ddanny999

• Activist
  • Residential Evil 4
Re: What to do about the motorcycles - please read this
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 02:55:59 AM »
The NYPD needs to do a better job.  I also recommend speaking about the issue at the 114th Precinct Community Council (this evening).  The noise from loud motorcycles is deafening and a blight.  A lot of the riders who race and cruise in the area don't even live here in Astoria.

Motorcycles with stock exhaust systems are quiet, but many riders illegally install or modify the exhaust system to make them incredibly loud.  You can get more info here: http://www.noiseoff.org/motorcycles.shtml

Handyman

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:44:37 AM »
This has always been a big issue around the park.   Myself and JTrane had a bit of fun coming up with new ideas (obviously in jest) to stop them.

http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=2388.0

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »
I think when people talk about "motorcycles" that are noisy they don't have anything against bikes themselves per-se. It's just (as others are pointing out) the bikes that are modified after they are purchased and have the mufflers removed or modified. This makes them extremely loud. You can do the same thing to a car, but most people don't do it. If there were a lot of that going on you'd get the same response though. Noise is really the issue first, and second is that many of the people that have these modified bikes drag race up and down some of the streets in our neighborhood. If you don't live on a street where they do this you're lucky. I've seen several people nearly get hit by these guys, and they frequently run the red light in front of my apartment.

Can someone explain to me what is considered excessive noise and what is considered dangerous activity. I ride a Vespa and would like to know if I am under attack as well.

Offline rdc

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 07:43:46 PM »
Definitely going to be calling both of those numbers at least once tonight.

Offline Melee

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 09:44:06 PM »
Right there with you RDC. One of those nights, eh?

*sigh*

Offline don

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 10:05:54 PM »
I live across the street from astoria park and own a motorcycle. I obey all laws and will ride whenever i feel like it! Sure some people dont, but you guys are painting with a pretty broad brush. Ive gotten dirty looks from people just because i was riding a mototcycle.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »
Hey Don,

I don't mind bikes at all, as a matter of fact, they are preferable I think to cars because they take up so much less space and are more fuel efficient. It's just the guys that modify their bikes or drive recklessly that drive me crazy. Sorry if you get nasty looks from people when you're not doing anything wrong, it's not me!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 12:53:54 AM »
I agree with Merm.  Motorcycles are not the problem, motorcylces with straight pipes and engaging in exhibitionist behavior are the problem.  Many people ride responsibly, and I don't think anyone has a problem with them, but that does not change the fact that some folks use their motorcycles to make noise and draw attention to themselves, for whatever purpose.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 03:00:49 PM »
I live across the street from astoria park and own a motorcycle. I obey all laws and will ride whenever i feel like it! Sure some people dont, but you guys are painting with a pretty broad brush. Ive gotten dirty looks from people just because i was riding a mototcycle.

No one is saying that just because you own a bike that you are the problem.  I think we all know what I am talking about.  There is a group of 15 to 20 bikes that race down 19th Street, revving their engines, popping wheelies, racing and generally acting like a--holes.  They need to stop.  There are elderly people and children around our area who cross the street into the park.  These guys (and a few girls) are a menace.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life