relax

Author Topic: Roller Hockey?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline fishbulb

• Activist
Roller Hockey?
« on: March 20, 2007, 04:14:54 PM »
Okay, I'm not a young and spritely fellow anymore, but I used to play roller hockey in the day and it was a fun way to keep in shape.  I have all the gear for ice hockey, but dragging it all the way to Chelsea Piers is well, a drag.  Anyone know of any roller hockey leagues in Astoria?  I see people rollering around with sticks from time to time, I assume they are playing and not trying to enact some Kevin Smith movie.  I seriously want to get back into it.

Offline Cookie

• Resident
Re: Roller Hockey?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 09:38:28 PM »
I used to play too, but don't have any gear except skates with me.  The only place I can see playing around here is in the park next to the Astoria Boulevard N train station.  I see some kids there playing sometimes.  Let me know if you find some people to play and I'll get a stick.

Offline azanga

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 12:34:12 PM »
I'm interested if we can find a place.  I have ice hockey gear that I lug up to Central Park in the winter time which is fun, but would love to play during the summer months as well.

BigBryan

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »
Sometimes I see people play in that pocket park on Hoyt Ave N between 21 St and Astoria Park.

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:57:55 AM »
Sometimes I see people play in that pocket park on Hoyt Ave N between 21 St and Astoria Park.
This park is commonly refered to as the "cheesebox" (due to it's triangular shape).  You usually find kids around Saturday mornings skating around.

Just to add to this BB on the history of Astoria:  Hockey used to be HUGE in Astoria.  Matter of fact, Astoria was once listed in GOAL Magazine (the former official magazine of the NHL) as one of the largest areas in the country for Roller Hockey.  The largest kids league was run out of Most Precious Blood school.  Games were held in the playground behind the school.  Matter of fact, if you get a chance to walk through it when it's open, you can still see faceoff circles painted on the ground.  Unfortunately, the league no longer exist.

Cheesebox was a popular place to play since the asphalt is very clean and smooth.  There are still nets which are supplied there by the City.  Although now I'm starting to see more and more soccer players use the area.  Sign of the times I guess.

There is of course the roller rink over by PS.204 (28th between 36th and 37th Avenue).  The league there is run by the YMCA over in Long Island City.  Some pretty good competition from what I've seen there.  I'm sure the summer league is well underway. 

By the way, Astoria has produced one NHL player and a couple of college/junior players (including myself....though I'm now relegated to my Chelsea Piers leagues in my old age).  Most people thought more would come out as time went on.  But most of the kids in the area aren't pushed into sports like the kids were when I grew up.  So hockey has, unfortunately, gone the way of the do-do bird in Astoria. 

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:43:34 AM »
I actually found a Roller Hockey Rink in Astoria!
I rode by the other day on my bike.
It's Across from the Holmes School on 28th Street between 36th and 37th Ave.
I don't know what the deal is to get on there, but I can see that it is a full on hockey rink with boards & everything.

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:28:11 PM »
I actually found a Roller Hockey Rink in Astoria!
I rode by the other day on my bike.
It's Across from the Holmes School on 28th Street between 36th and 37th Ave.
I don't know what the deal is to get on there, but I can see that it is a full on hockey rink with boards & everything.
See my post directly above.

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »
See my post directly above.

:-D I'm a dumb@ss- sorry about that

Elroy

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 10:34:32 AM »
Hey I've got a stick and blades but I suck, can I play too?

Elroy

Offline Anthony88

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
Hey NYC goalie,,, i know this thread is very old but I just joined the Astorians,  it brings me back to my young years so much, I was born and raised in Astoria and started playing hockey at the age of 4.     Where/whom did I play for???  Yep u said it yourself Most Precious Blood.  Hockey was very HUGE in Astoria as u said.  I remember our schoolyard with the boards going down only one side of our yard, during the all star games every year I remember going down into the cafeteria where they would serve us hot chocolate between periods. Wow such wonderful memories,, when we first started, ages 4-6 I remember we would get sweatshirts as our jersey with a little guy with a hockey stick on front,, as we got older our first real jersey were Flyer jerseys,,, we were the MPB flyers,, we had much talent on our teams,, coach (mr. Myers) was a great influence on all us kids At the time,, we were a great organization that brought many championships to MPB,,, miss that time so much,,,,, ohhhh and yes I'm gonna go back to schoolyard to check out those faded circles, etc,,, thanks again

Offline brooklyn/queensconnection

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »
hey if anyone is looking to play any roller hockey my friends and i play in hoyt park near the astoria blvd train stop on the N/Q line we have 2 nets and have a goalie and extra goalie equiptment if anyone plays goalie and ants to come down hit me up at sofaisking88@gmail.com or stop by hoyt park on tues, thur or sundays we arrive at 10 am and start by 11am so if anyone is down to play come on down.
 frm ray

Offline m4tuna

• Tourist
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
hey if anyone is looking to play any roller hockey my friends and i play in hoyt park near the astoria blvd train stop on the N/Q line we have 2 nets and have a goalie and extra goalie equiptment if anyone plays goalie and ants to come down hit me up at sofaisking88@gmail.com or stop by hoyt park on tues, thur or sundays we arrive at 10 am and start by 11am so if anyone is down to play come on down.
 frm ray

You guys playing yet? Me and a few guys have been playing weeknights at Dutch Kills rink...we're playing this Saturday morning if you're interested. No nets, just been shooting into cones, decent rink though (semi poopie asphalt, but at least you can wrap the puck around the boards)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life