relax

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 148528 times)

cara

Re: Hello
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2005, 03:14:14 PM »
Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs is such a fun read!  And he would argure that you are not the only one that loves John Cussack.  (All women, the author claims, are in love with John Cussack, or more specifically, the character Lloyd Dobler from Say Anything.  I think it is true.)

samru

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
you and and chuck klosterman are right.  i don't know what it is about john cusack, but he's got something.  for some reason though, rob fleming (high fidelity) tends to do it more for me than lloyd dobler.  is there something wrong with that?

Offline artgirl

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2005, 03:25:09 PM »
So funny... I was just recommending that book to someone today... :)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2005, 10:56:26 AM »
Quote from: daveed
Ha! That's a great term!

Chuck, dooce's (Heather's) dog, today.

zeno

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2005, 09:24:10 PM »
Hi,

@samru and others

Hi samru :-), nice to meet you:

I'm still Zeno (unless you know me in person or are doing a little investigative work on your own).

I started the Public Announcement thread for three reasons.

(1) I wanted to alert people to the fact that what Orwell was talking about has indeed become a reality in many parts of the world and some parts of "here" as well, soon to become "complete" if awareness of this issue is not raised to the next power soon. Not to beat a dead horse Yet Again, but the USA PATRIOT ACt is one such fine example of the encroachment of Dystopian Reality; the nationwide Architecture of the Surveillance Network instituted in China and England is yet another.

(2) I wanted to be as repetive and obnoxious as possible in order to get people to genuinely develop a sincere hatred of the concept of "Big Brother".

(3) I wanted to show the people who read this board that there is indeed a powerful Movement aboard internationally that is attempting through propaganda and legal action to mitigate the evil dream made reality aspect of Orwell's "Nineteen Eight-Four" as well as to alert younger generations that have never heard of this classic to stop, sit down for one moment to actually read it. This work has had the most profound impact on my life since I first read it in the year of 19 and 84 and I wanted to share my pre-pubescent epiphany with others who haven't yet experienced it. A word of warning though: the words in this book also had the negative effect of alienating me from the society in which I found myself...iow, I became a true representation of the word "Thought-Criminal".

However, i have grown quite bored with this thread and now feel that I was shoving this apocalyptic message down people's throat even when they have already grown tired of hearing it, which btw was using the same tactics that the hypothetical Big Brother and his cohorts would use, in fact.

And I emphatically Hate Big Brother.

Hope to meet you all soon in public and maybe together we can work this thing out.

----ZER.

sass4prez

« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2005, 07:03:13 PM »
Hi Astorians!

I recently moved to Astoria with my boyfriend.  We used to live in Brooklyn and Manhattan.  Astoria totally blew us away and we are so happy to be here.  Sometimes, I just want to rub my face in the ground.  

I don't hold any strong political or religious beliefs, and my cultural pursuits are firmly non-pretentious.  I don't work out or anything but all the nice playgrounds in the area make me wistful for playground tag.    

After lurking on Astorians.net for a few weeks, I went to the Freeze Peach for the first time last night and it was really nice!  

Anyhoo, thanks for reading --I really look forward to meeting people in the neighbourhood and making new friends!    

PS.  About John Cusack mentioned earlier in this thread... I actually accidentally met him a few years ago!!!  He signed my physics textbook because I had nothing else for him to sign.  I opened my mouth to say something clever, incisive, hilarious; I wanted him to look at me with startled eyes and ask me to marry him.  So imagine how horrified I was to hear myself say THIS bare branch of a phrase:  "Physics is fun."   :?

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2006, 04:43:26 PM »
No introductions in awhile?

I like to post but do not like to write. A horrible combination.
 :?

Not readily outgoing, but flexible and open to easy adventures.

Celebrating 10 years in Astoria. Enjoyed Brooklyn, native of CA (southern).
From a large family of 7, visit most of them from time to time near Seattle.

http://www.ammi.org/site/site.php
http://www.yesnetwork.com/
Favorite interest is cinema (movies, yeah) and baseball (Yankees). Now the the angels angels of Anaheim break my heart. (Los los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, who makes up these team names?)

Dont get me started on politics, but if you do feel free to offer me a sedative or a gag.

Life, Liberty, Happiness
Peace, Love, Joy

Do you like Tigger?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigger
My birth year is 1968, too hoo hoo hoooo

"Winchell last performed as Tigger in 1999, in Winnie the Pooh: Seasons of Giving.

Lisp and laugh

For Tigger, he created a slight lisp and laugh, crediting his British wife with Tigger's "TTFN" catchprase - "ta-ta for now", itself coming from BBC radio comedy It's That Man Again.

In 1974, he earned a Grammy for best children's recording with The Most Wonderful Things About Tiggers from the film Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too.

Born in 1922 in New York, Winchell contracted polio aged six but beat speech impediments as he learned to throw his own voice. "

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2006, 05:42:42 PM »
Favorite interest is cinema (movies, yeah) and baseball (Yankees). Now the the angels angels of Anaheim break my heart. (Los los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, who makes up these team names?)

I used to live in SoCal ("the Southland!") but never connected with the Angels (I remember when they were called the California Angels - love the halo at the park!).  I was a pretty big LA Dodgers fan.   Now I don't have a team I'm really passionate about, although I do enjoy the Giants, having lived in the SF Bay area for a while. 

I prefer the National League to the American - who came up with that stupid Designated Hitter idea?!?!?

jray

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2006, 01:04:54 AM »
Hi Astoria,

I just realized that I got sucked into reading this entire thread that started quite some time ago. I've enjoyed living in Astoria since this past summer, but it was the transit strike that made me appreciate the hometowny help each other out neighborhood of this place. So after reading the thread, I can sum it up by saying that there are lots of married trekkies who work for non-profits. ok. Those are my kind of people, although not so into the trek thing (but my husband is totally a closeted fan)

Introductions thread...here we go...Modern dancer thinking about branching into video editing due to the "struggling" part of artist overtaking the art. Interning at a non-profit called movement research which has a publication that I will be leaving at freeze peach in the near future. I also teach sat prep. My temp work well runneth dry lately...I was working at a fashion company which was an absurd environment, but good stories, good pay, flexible hours, but happy it's over. Hubby and I are from west virginia, I dragged him here via illinois and we do love it here, much to my relief.

speaking of work, since i am in a dry patch right now, if anyone is looking for a great babysitter or other short term, flexible hours help, let me know. Or better yet, if I organized a "modern dance for adults who can hardly skip" class would anyone be interested? I taught beginning modern to undergrads when I was getting my MFA and it was quite a good time, the kids who sat in front of a computer screen all day particularly loved it.

See you all around. It was lovely reading about you all.  :wink:

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »
I'll let you guess my name. Been living here about 6 years, born in Queens/raised on L.I. SWF thirtysomething, one black cat named Mortimer (she's a female FYI.)

Usually in the cafe around lunchtime getting my java fix, and am determined to sample as many teas as I can for the new year. Why? Because they are there.

Currently looking for a job and in the meantime, indulging my mountain biking addiction. I'm the editor of our bike club newsletter and find that the cafe is a great place to work on it.

I also enjoy French language/culture, photography, hiking, traveling.....all that fun stuff.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2006, 07:44:15 PM »
I love this thread - and I thought it was time to bring it back to life... again.

If you haven't been formally introduced (by yourself) here's your chance.  If you wanted to know a bit about those you're communicating with... read on....

wernham-hogg

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2006, 11:20:02 PM »
O.K. I am new to the board although not new to Astoria. I am a thirtysomething SWM. I grew up on L.I. but have lived in NYC for over ten years. I am a playwright, but I work in the media industry to pay the bills. Things I love: James Brown, the Chrysler Building, "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Beth Orton, Arthur Miller, Yonah Schimmel knishes, "The Office", and chocolate. Things I hate: ignorance, 98% humidity, techno, the word "fashionista", and people who ride their bicycles on the sidewalk.

bettyspin

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2006, 09:43:33 AM »
Hi Meg,

Welcome aboard.  The harpsicord is an interesting instrument.  Definitely interested in talkig more about it. 

Enjoy Astoria!

-Betty

duluoz_cats

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2006, 02:05:09 PM »
O.K. I am new to the board although not new to Astoria. I am a thirtysomething SWM. I grew up on L.I. but have lived in NYC for over ten years. I am a playwright, but I work in the media industry to pay the bills. Things I love: James Brown, the Chrysler Building, "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Beth Orton, Arthur Miller, Yonah Schimmel knishes, "The Office", and chocolate. Things I hate: ignorance, 98% humidity, techno, the word "fashionista", and people who ride their bicycles on the sidewalk.

Welcome wernham-hogg!

Glad to have another fan of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Arthur Miller (and the Chrysler Building) around ... ! :) Just thanked you for your book recommendation, hope you'll post some of your Marquez & Miller faves there as well!

Offline autumn

• Resident
  • "Of Two Hearts"
    • JMC Designs - Beautiful Handcrafted Jewelry by Julie
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2006, 08:55:48 PM »
Hi, my name is Julie.  I've been to two Astorian dinners now and have had great fun meeting people and following this board.

About myself:  I am a native New Yorker, raised in Chinatown (yes, I'm Chinese), lived in various neighborhoods in Brooklyn and now, for the first time, in Queens.  My 9-to-5 job at an investment bank allows me to volunteer as an english tutor.  I decided to join astorians.com because I am also a food adventurer!

I love movies, traveling, food, working out, tai chi.  I do not like noisy neighbors, and I can't think of anything else at the moment ...

Besides that, I hope to visit Freeze Peach one of these days!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life