relax

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 149920 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Hello
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2005, 06:46:44 PM »
Hey frozenfoot, thanks for the welcome!

I actually had considered contacting the people at Waltz to play there at some point.  The harpsichord is not horribly large, so maybe it would fit?  I'll have to check it out.   I can play the piano, but I'm not an artistic pianist.  Playing the harpsichord takes a totally different technique!  But it's understandable not to know that, so I won't hold it against you.  :D

Thanks again for the welcome!  I like tea very much, too.
Meg

Quote from: frozenfroot
hail astorians. permission to come abord...

permission to act like a dork (while we're at it.)

welcome to astoria megc. i look forward to hearing your first harpsichord performance... do they make those things portable! i once saw tim collins play on a set of vibes that fit in a suitcase...

there's a cute little live music venue that just sprouted up on ditmars a couple of months ago called waltz... song, the head barista keeps a piano there. (i don't know what that has to do with harpsichords - and since the piano already takes up tons of space there i don't see how anyone in their right mind would try to jam a harpsichord in next to it, on top? anywyay. now you see what i was getting at with being a dork...)

oh, now i know. if you can play harpsichord - then you can surely play piano! whew. save.

oh ya. i have lived in astoria since 2001. landed here by chance looking for a cheap pad with my girl. actually landed in ny by chance - obeying my woman. now i'm stuck working as a janitor in a crappy cafe on ditmars. but hey. i'm happy.

i have one hobby. fiction.

i have one food. tea.

look forward to seeing you around town.

ff

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2005, 06:50:23 PM »
Quote from: megc
Hey frozenfoot, thanks for the welcome!

Oh man, that should have been frozenfroot.  Sorry about that!

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2005, 08:00:49 PM »
Er -- this is the first time I've ever noticed that it wasn't frozenfoot.

Good thing to know you can always learn new things about your friends.
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »
There seems to be a slew of people lurking about who haven't written a proper (or improper) introduction about themselves.  

A little character development is a good thing

So... those of you who are interested in spilling a detail or two... please... spill forth.  For those of you who prefer fiction - now's your chance to be whomever you always wanted to be

J

cara

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2005, 09:39:30 PM »
I'll go.

My name is Cara. I'm fairly new to astorians.net.  I live in Brooklyn-- in Bed-Stuy with my sweetheart-- but work in Astoria/LIC.  I help with the Ravenswood CSA group (that's my official job).  That means that I get to see about six of you face-to-face every week.  

I cook a lot.  I'm concerned with food access.  I'm trying to garden, but I have a black thumb.  I've been "nesting" a lot in the past year, just trying to make a little home life for myself.  (read: I daydream about new shelf configurations.)  I'd like to say that I read, but I've been struggling to read the same book-- Africa in Chaos-- for a month.  Today I finished a book that was such drivel that I tried to hide the cover from other people on the subway so that they wouldn't think I was stupid.  I don't watch television, but listen to NPR whenever I'm home.  I'm struggling to cultivate "personal style".  I'm not addicted to coffee, but I can fall asleep almost anywhere, so perhaps I should be.

I'm 24 until next month.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2005, 09:53:10 PM »
Awwww, this was my first thread here on the board!  I love reading the old messages, so fun.   :D

I am terribly sentimental about the smallest things, sometimes.

DreamchildNYC

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2005, 11:40:30 PM »
Sorry, I actually started a different thread with my hello...

http://astorians.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=883

Anyway, hello again ;-)

nicolaluna

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2005, 11:48:12 PM »
hi people!  :lol:

i'm nicole; i work part-time at the amazing freeze peach cafe, and part-time at a menial student tech-help-desk job in manhattan.  

i love cappucinos, hiking, rooftops, fireworks, lobster (soaked, not dipped, in butter), and cultural anthropology.
i love ursula k. leguin, the color purple, travel, and the sound of wild geese.
i am not a stander above men, or women, or anyone else for that matter.  i love good (?!) poetry, watching the moon or sun come up over a deserted mountain-top, and domestic cats.  
i desire to continue adding to this list.  it may get very long.  
i am still crushing on my beloved boyfriend; as well as patti smith.  go figure.  i belileve in magic: with a "c."  i am pagan, and open to (respectfully :wink: ) discussing what-ever-all that means!

i came to the city to study indigenous american cultures and languages at hunter college, but my program petered out right about the same time as i got here.  even though i'm 28, i'm an undergrad.  i'm not going for the paper, but for the material, and what i plan on doing with it....  so, currently i am withdrawn but not giving up, and hope to eventually transfer to far away arizona....  but, definitely not till i have made astoria my home for number of years!  i have been here for a year-and-a-half so far.

:?: here's my question:  what do all of you think about sharing or not sharing our real names on this list?  i *personally* want people to know who i am.  but i think i understand that some people want to keep their anonymity.  a few people at the peach have mentioned to me that i can find them here on astorians, but then, so many of us have mysterious names; i don't know who anyone really is!  so, what do you think?

hello everyone!
nicole

zeno

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2005, 01:12:25 AM »
It was a pleasure reading your post and getting to know you better.
I am a pagan as well (when I'm not busy being Agnostic) but I have to say that releasing our "true" names on the board would not be a very good idea, speaking for myself.

Many people on the board write about controversial topics (myself included) and don't wish to fall prey to J.W. Randomness or B.B.
The amount of people who surf the net includes by default a number of "baddies" who are only too willing to exploit personal information.

If someone wants to confide in you their screen name in real life then that is up to them, but I don't relish people giving away that information (or any information for that matter) without a fight. The careless handling of personal info should be soley left in the hands of corrupt and uncaring mega-corporations.

Privacy is an important right that we shouldn't be in such a rush to relinquish.
Plus, you should know from your studies in Earth Religions the power inherent in a name and how the names that we have chosen (rather than given) do more justice to who we really are and the values that we hold.

Humbly yours,
----zeno.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2005, 08:47:31 AM »
Nicole, that was a great post!  I always enjoy talking to you at the cafe, so it's good to know a little more about you.  I worked closely with Ursula K. Leguin's daughter while I did my Masters degree in SF; Elisabeth is a baroque cellist and so, so much fun to play music with.

As far as real names vs. aliases, I understand the reasons for using either/both.  I've participated on certain boards that request one or the other, and each had valid reasons for those policies.  I, personally, have no problem using my real name, or variant on it.  But I won't demand that anyone use one name or the other.  I also find the stories behind people's aliases to be pretty interesting, for the most part.

I'm sure I will see you soon at the cafe or on the board.
Meg

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2005, 08:56:11 AM »
There's no such thing as B.B.

Hello I am merm :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:17:36 PM by merm »

daveed

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2005, 11:32:23 AM »
I concur with zeno's caveat that we should be aware of our privacy  when communicating online. That's why I refrain from giving out my address/phone number/surname on most message boards. This kind of information may show up in a google search, and I wouldn't want say, an employer to find out I've been ranting about coworkers or stuff like that.

For instance, my name STILL googles on webpages that refer to an article I'd written and an online petition I signed years ago.

Here it seems a little more informal, more like a neighborhood hangout, if you get my drift. So I was more comfortable with only *slightly* veiling my name. Besides, I don't think it takes a great mental leap to figure it out... :lol:

Hint: It's not "Zebulon"... ;) :D

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2005, 01:21:44 PM »
Quote from: daveed
I concur with zeno's caveat that we should be aware of our privacy  when communicating online. That's why I refrain from giving out my address/phone number/surname on most message boards. This kind of information may show up in a google search, and I wouldn't want say, an employer to find out I've been ranting about coworkers or stuff like that.

Or possibly, in an extreme case, you could get dooced.

daveed

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2005, 02:14:56 PM »
Ha! That's a great term!

You know, I've actually thought about who could see my website . Nothing salacious on it, but it's clearly geared toward promoting myself for a new job. I certainly wouldn't use it as a work-focused blog. Hellllll no.

Then again, my name is actually done as a jpeg on the site, and not as searchable html text. Hmm...

* starts digging dirt *

:wink:

samru

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2005, 03:04:31 PM »
as far as B.B. is concerned, i wouldn't be so sure that there is no such thing.

but in any case, my turn:
my name is sam and im 22.  i work at Childrens Rights, a non profit that tries to reform foster care, and most of the time, we succeed.  unfortunately, i never finished college so am stuck (for now) doing CR's bitch work.  it's not so bad though.  currently, im trying to save $ to get back to school and also figure out what it is that i really want have a career in, idealy, i would prefer not to sit at a desk all day long.  

in real life i like to read books, (right now it's sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs) listen to my parents vinyl collection, which is now mine, as well as Michael Jackson's Thriller, and assorted Prince albums.  also, my shameful secret is that i am hopelessly addicted to Degrassi: the next generation.  i like dogs, walking, how rain smells, as well as new sneakers, cowboys and indians, john cusack, and moroccan mint green tea.  i am a big fan of the NYC subway system.  i think all the problems it has, makes it even better.

i just moved to astoria on Oct. 1st, so i'm the new kid on the block (broadway, that is) and am still finding my way around.  hoping to make it over to freezepeach soon, as i need some friendly faces in my new hood.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life