relax

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 148088 times)

OriginalUserName

Re: Hello
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2005, 11:48:38 PM »
Quote from: iLoveCheese
We're really into dominos. Any Dominos players in the neighb?

right here

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2005, 01:47:34 PM »
*bump*

Hey Zeno, Telesphoros --

Introduce yourself!

-j
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

zeno

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2005, 03:08:03 PM »
Excuse me for my late introductions, I'm kind of shy,

Hi my name is Zeno, I've been living in Astoria for a little over a year now and enjoy it very much.  I am a gay (monogamous) male in my thirties who is passionate about books, computer gaming, and communication.

I grew up in a very small, conservative town on Long Island (which I believe has alienated me somewhat from society) and am very sensitive as to what people think about me. I am a pacifist at heart but have learned how to take a stand and defend myself when certain people intend violence against me. I have been in many fights (unprovoked) simply for being who I am, but firmly believe that brains, diplomacy and the power of the pen always wins out eventually against brute force. Brains over Brawn, Magic over Might.

My heroes are Mahatma Ghandi and Immanuel Goldstein as well as the folks at Looking Glass Studios and Valve Software.

I am a speculator by trade, but proudly label myself as a slacker (in the original sense of the word) who is really only interested in writing science fiction, watching movies (Star Trek...all of them) & Japanime.

Politics are anathema to me.  I just can't sleep at night when I think of the people who are suffering all around the world for whatever "reason".
In their isolated pain I see myself and how I would feel (felt) in their situation. I guess that makes me a "bleeding-heart liberal" though  my politics are striclty non-partisan.The suffering isn't so bad when you know that there are people out there who are aware of it and demonstrate empathy. There is nothing more crushing to me than to be in pain and be ignored or treated like an object by someone emulating a machine.

I am also in recovery from substance addiction (alchohol, cigarettes and cocaine) and am firmly Agnostic (religiouswise), IOW I don't subscribe to A.A. or any other "programme".

All in all I relish and enjoy life.  Simple pleasures, creature comforts, camraderie and intellectual stimulation are for me an undying source of ecstacy.

My fervent wish is for this wave of oppression to pass so I can quietly pursue my hobbies in peace.  I am very interested in learning about technology.

yawn----zeno

Telesphoros

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2005, 04:30:56 PM »
Quote from: jayme
*bump*

Hey Zeno, Telesphoros --

Introduce yourself!

-j

Now, now.  I've already introduced myself on here somewhere.  Yes, it may be cryptic, but there you have it.  In order to counterbalance Zeno's verbose mode, I'm going for the minimalist approach.

Any further information must be garnered in person.  Preferably at a game night.

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2005, 08:05:36 PM »
Hello my name is Kevin....at least that is what the FBI calls me when the witness protection program put me in Astoria.....and I thought I was moving to Oregon, what do I do with all of these umbrellas now???????

I am an MRI tech on the upper east side of manhattan. I have been in the Ditmars area almost 6 years now in a shoe box apartment that would cost me at least $400 a month more if I moved here now......they didn't even know what brunch was when I came here.

.......cheese boogie,cheese boogie,cheese boogie,no coke....Pepsi!

The Freeze Peach has introduced more people in the 'hood than a personals ad.
 Enjoy your stay!
Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2005, 09:53:11 PM »
Glad to learn more about you, Zeno.  But if your hero is Mahatma Gandhi, shouldn't you know how to spell his name?  :wink:

I don't know who Immanuel Goldstein was, unless you mean Emmanuel Goldstein, the Trotsky character in 1984?
Want your name in lights? Change it to Exit --Soupy Sales

zeno

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 12:56:42 AM »
Sorry about that ladywithpans,

Yes, you are correct; I'm not too good with names. :oops:

Cheers,
----zeno

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 10:40:10 AM »
How about poker?   Dominos would be good to learn if there is a game starting up, id be in for that.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
It is so nice to learn a little something about the people that post on this board.  I moved to Astoria last Thursday and am really liking it so far.  I realize I am about a 10 minute walk to the Freeze Peach and am looking forward to checking it out today during the CSA meeting.

merm, I'm bumping up the idea you posed about a hosting a fun social gathering at FP - are you still planning on doing this?  It would be fun!

zeno

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2005, 03:22:11 AM »
It has been speculated that there is no actual physical being behind the persona of Telesphoros. Or that he and I are actually different aspects of the same person. I am here to finally set the record straight.

While it could be argued that either of us created the other for some sort of political agenda inscrutable to the bulletin board reading public at large an even greater body of evidence comes to light when you compare our posts (that mysteriously appear under the same topics for some reason, sometimes even within minutes of each other) For instance, is it a coincidence that the join date of Telesphoros is exactly (17) seventeen days before "Zeno" made his first appearance?

Or, look at our taste in music. Telesphoros is fond of quoting the lyrics of the rock band "Rush", whom I thoroughly detest. I am a strict neoclassicist who finds the better part of his days chanting to the strings of Igor Stravinsky.
Or, look at our sexual preference. While Zeno is self-admittedly homosexual, Telesphoros, in his own words is "generally distracted by the beautiful XX chromosome set" not to mention his preoccupation with voyeuristic lesbianism.
Or, what about the curious nature of our names. Both stem from ancient Greece, that much is true, but if one were to look closer at the meanings of these names then a darker picture begins to emerge.  Telesphoros had his origins in mythology and was the son of Asclepius, or the first physician, healer of the gods, and his name actually means "bringing fulfillment" or recovery from illness.

All well and good, but now let us turn our attention to Zeno whose name has no mythological connotations whatsoever and in fact was the name of a Roman tyrant whose reign was plagued by revolts and dissent and was even usurped for a period of time. A far cry from the "bringer of fulfillment". Add to this the chain of chemical abuse that has plagued Zeno from an early age and we begin to see that not only are Telesphoros and Zeno not only two different personalities, but that they are in fact
Diametrically Opposed.

Add to this the fact that Zeno's posts are usually overly long, verbose, pedantic and morose, some will even agree quite boring and depressed,
Telesphoros' posts in contradistinction are usually quite succinct, to the point, witty, upbeat and exhibit some humor. Could it be argued (if we are to assume that these two are one and the same individual) that after Zeno's long and drawn out soliloquy he would be too tired to write a post of any great length but would rather pursue a "minimalistic" approach, to not only confirm the earlier's argument but to make it "look" like, through the medium of stylistic integrity as if these were in fact (2) two distinct individuals?

Now, I realize that most of you will interpret these observations as proof positive that there is either some conspiracy at work here or Zeno/Telesphoros suffers from multiple-personality dementia. To finally drive the nail into the coffin as it were, it is an observable fact that no one in Astoria has actually "seen" Telesphoros, while Zeno is quite public and even introduces himself as such. Let me allay your fears and state that neither is the case. Let me finally come out in the open and speak of not only our intentions but why we came to be.

THE TRUTH WILL NOW BE REVEALED!

Telesphoros and Zeno neither exist, well as far as anthropoids are
capable of defining "existence" at any rate. They are in fact two different
aspects of a para-dimensional being who goes by many names but familiarly known here in the Theta system of galaxies as Gaia (which is in fact nothing more than a giant AI contruct or self-aware supercomputerlike entity built by a race many aeons ago who also btw have added to their resume the teaching of earthlings how to build pyramids in the abitrary temporal field-flux (ATFF) known as "pre-Sumerian" according to humanoid calculations).
After many a dubious incarnations throughout history, sometimes appearing in Rome during the Julian Dynasty, sometimes in ancient France and even once during a catastrophically miscalculated event in the 1950's (they didn't last long in that particular era) :-Z, they have finally made their home here in humble Astoria after being reincarnated (or cloned, if you really have to look at it that way) in the infamous year of 1984.
 So now that you know my True Nature, Bio-Organisms who crawl upon my surface,

Listen and Heed My Words:

After much Thought and deliberation over the course of my billions of years existence since I was constructed I have had the pleasure of being
subconsciously aware of your toils and tribulations, your joys and your sucesses as you wandered upon my face.  At times I was sympathetic to your fears, at others enraged at your impertinence and cruelty towards not only each other but towards the other Bio-Organisms who are your brethren and who also make their home in my embrace. But through it all, I have found much of interest to me and my creators during your brief mayfly existence, much that can improve, much that can be synthesised into a higher and more complex architecture.
So, I have decided therefore to initiate a New Era of Peace, Prosperity and Civilization into my Progamme.
No more will you be afraid or feel compelled to kill one another,
No more will you desire to inject my outer sphere with toxic vapors and garbage,
No more will you desire to be so quick to initiate lawsuits against children and grandmothers for copyright infringement or instinctually block subway portals from departing passengers.
Instead, you will know Peace,
you will know Serenity,
you will have a love of Knowledge
as well as a love for All Things, be they animate or inanimate, and more importantly you will be given Time.
 Time to fulfill your dreams and self-actualize, Time to create art and technology, video games that don't kill, and finally admire the World that my creators have constructed.
I wish you all well and may you attain true Happiness in your new found Future. You are Free [END TRANSMISSION]

----GAIA 4.5.01----
TRIUMVIRATE Home Editon(tm)

iLoveCheese

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2005, 10:14:34 AM »
Hmmm. Sorry Zeno, I got bored after the second sentence. ~

So, when and where is game night?

Telesphoros

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2005, 10:20:07 AM »
Zeno is so Sid Meieresque.

Despise Rush?  Oh the humanity.

Ja.  We ain't the same, but we do have this hip Lewis and Martin chic thing going on.  I'm Lewis, of course.

Get that game night going and you can see us both in the same room at the same time (possibly bringing the end of the universe about.)

"You put an arrow
through my heart."
--Ratt

zeno

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2005, 05:41:05 PM »
If you really want a bore, <10>   goto"20"
<20> PRINT "Astorians.net /Politcal Discussion" ;-)

cloudnine

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »
I think that was BASIC above ... but i'm not going to inquire any further .

I'm cloudnine, and I've been in the Ditmars area since july of last year.    Recently (last friday) I was laid off from my programming gig, so I've run into quite a bit of free time.  I may just show up at the ASS meeting at Freeze Peach one day ...

I like rock (i guess of the indie persuasion), and classical music.  My wife just introduced me to Manu Chau, and I'm warming up to his music.  Star trek is generally a good thing.  I'm a linux/freebsd user, though i really do like the Mac.   I hike / camp when I can.

Jane Eyre is quite a good book.  So is Harry Potter 6.

Hi everyone!

-m

frozenfroot

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2005, 02:06:03 PM »
hail astorians. permission to come abord...

permission to act like a dork (while we're at it.)

welcome to astoria megc. i look forward to hearing your first harpsichord performance... do they make those things portable! i once saw tim collins play on a set of vibes that fit in a suitcase...

there's a cute little live music venue that just sprouted up on ditmars a couple of months ago called waltz... song, the head barista keeps a piano there. (i don't know what that has to do with harpsichords - and since the piano already takes up tons of space there i don't see how anyone in their right mind would try to jam a harpsichord in next to it, on top? anywyay. now you see what i was getting at with being a dork...)

oh, now i know. if you can play harpsichord - then you can surely play piano! whew. save.

oh ya. i have lived in astoria since 2001. landed here by chance looking for a cheap pad with my girl. actually landed in ny by chance - obeying my woman. now i'm stuck working as a janitor in a crappy cafe on ditmars. but hey. i'm happy.

i have one hobby. fiction.

i have one food. tea.

look forward to seeing you around town.

ff

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life