relax

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 138953 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 05:43:56 AM »
Ok,

Jonathan here ( married to Jennifer),  recently 38.  Chef and happy foodie.  From Long island and NYC, been in Astoria 12ys???  Just love it here, the people, the food, the variety of everything.

Own a take out joint and catering kitchen in LIC,  books books books, gentleman farmer in my little backyard garden, looking to try kyacking at the new boat house in LIC, plan to try sailing by end of summer, a good espresso, a great manhattan and margarita, good conversation. BBQ!

Its nice to see people sharing in here, lets keep it going.

lisamanting

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 04:52:50 PM »
Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the area

My name is Lisa, and I just moved into Astoria a month ago, transplanted from Lower East Side in Manhattan. I love the area so far and would love to explore more. Currently working in midtown as a graphic designer, and part time at a school. I live near Astoria Park with my cat.

Just wondering, do you all know one another?

iLoveCheese

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 05:19:02 PM »
I don't know any of these folks in real life except a couple from ARROW Community Garden, but I think a lot of the contributors hang around Freeze Peach Cafe and know one another.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 05:21:51 PM »
I probably know about 1/3 of the people on this board because I've seen them at the Freeze Peach Cafe at one time or another. However, the board has many people from all over the community on it and I don't know everyone (although I'd love to meet them!)

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 06:58:02 PM »
I dont know anyone from this site, just know bits from what we post here.

we are heading to peach freeze again real soon to meet more of you in person.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 08:46:17 PM »
I'm the senior citizen of the board, it seems.  Would I still be welcome at Freeze Peach?
Want your name in lights? Change it to Exit --Soupy Sales

Telesphoros

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 10:36:33 PM »
Ladywithpans,

Speaking as a new to the neighborhood infrequent visitor to freezepeach and a 30 something, I'm glad you're around.  How boring it would be if we were all some homogeneous group.  One of the great things about this neighborhood is it's diversity of ethnicity and age.

:D

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 11:07:56 PM »
I really like Astoria's diversity, at least what I've seen on it.  On my first subway ride from Manhattan to Astoria, that car on the N train was the most diverse population I'd ever seen in one subway car!  Many ethnicities and ages, and so refreshing to hear languages other than English (Italian, Spanish, Greek).

I do hope to meet some if not all of you at some point after I move.  You all seem like such friendly people. :D

KilDaraSidhe

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 11:39:27 AM »
I'm Colleen. Just turned 30.  :(  Lived in Astoria for 6 1/2 years now but I am origionally from Ithaca, NY and resided most of my life about an hour north of it and an hour south of Syracuse (waves to ILoveCheese). I consider myself a pagan/wiccan/witch. I am currently married and though we have no children we have nine beautiful cats.

I enjoy reading (mostly horror like King and Koontz or Sci Fi like Star Trek Next Gen Books) and also writing poems and plays. Other hobbies include crocheting, beading and other crafts, growing herbs, website designing, listing to all types of music, making house cleaners out of natural products instead of using those harmful chemical ones, roleplaying, fishing, and just having a good time with my friends. I am a HUGE cat fan having nine of them rule my domicile. My favorite color is blue!

My favorite things to watch on TV are almost anything on the Sci-Fi channel, CSI (origianal only), Law and Order Special Victims Unit and Criminal Intent, 4400, Dead Zone, 6 Feet Under and Sapranos, Lost, Invasion, 24 and re-runs of Star Trek Next Generation, along with oldies like Bewitched, Munsters and All In The Family.

Currently I run an online not-for-profit group that we are trying to get off the ground www.asianmediawatchdog.com and I am spending the summer babysitting for a friend of mine who is in a bind. You can find me at the Peach pretty often.

I love the smell of rain, babies, vanilla, chocolate, rose, lilacs, and the forest.

I also love thunderstorms, ever since I was a a baby.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 09:49:36 AM by KilDaraSidhe »

lisamanting

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 04:10:07 PM »
Hi Colleen! I lived in Ithaca for a few years in Collegetown and the edges.  Love it! :D

Hey, if you guys are throwing a meeting up party anytime soon, let me know!

iLoveCheese

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 04:54:30 PM »
Next Generation...nice!

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 07:52:12 PM »
Quote from: lisamanting

Hey, if you guys are throwing a meeting up party anytime soon, let me know!

I'd love to know, too!   :)

Offline Mysteria Sylvan

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 11:01:33 PM »
I joined the board back in February, but didn't really start lurking here until a couple of weeks ago.

I'm originally from Long Island and was lucky enough to find an apartment in the southern end of Astoria after a nightmarish two-year stint in a share in Flushing.  I'm 25, live with my boyfriend and cat Zephyr.   Ideally we'd have a dog as well, but our building forbids it.   I have a BFA in filmmaking from SUNY Purchase, but right now I am a Real Estate Broker's Assistant on the UES.

I love to read, don't have cable TV though I do Netflix shows that I'm interested in on DVD and would love to come hang out at the Freeze Peach....

Me and my boyfriend checked it out late at night a couple weeks ago (it's 30-40min brisk walk from where we live!) and I love it despite the distance.  I'm also a HUGE Scrabble fan and am wondering if anyone would be interested in a game at the cafe every once in a while.

Hi!

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 08:30:41 AM »
For anyone interested I'd be happy to help arrange a "get aquainted" party. Let's discuss a day and time that might work for everyone and do it! We love to host this sort of thing at Freeze Peach.

Offline artgirl

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 11:50:49 AM »
Hi  :)  I'm Emily. 28, graphic designer, living in Astoria for about 2 years now. Have an adorable cat. Originally from upstate NY, near Albany.

Interests... addicted to the Food Network & enjoy cooking (and eating). Love to play pool & board games (I noticed mention of Scrabble & Trivial Pursuit here), as well as good old-fashioned card games (cribbage & euchre). Also like to read.

I'd be interested in any sorts of get togethers-- sounds like there are some great people here.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life