relax

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 152363 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Hi
« Reply #1215 on: July 25, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »
I've also noticed many people on here dislike transplants.

Actually, I think these people are in the minority, and I don't believe that every native Astorian carries such prejudice and bias.  It's easy to blame everything on "transplants", so they do.  I mean, come on - NYC was built by immigrants.  Everyone - unless you are from one of the indigenous tribes on this island - is a descendant of people who came here from somewhere else. 

To smear and demean these "transplants" as they do is lazy and small minded on their part. And those that hold on to such anger and vitriol will only stay stranded in their fetid bad attitude swamp.  Be happy you're not in there with them.

But remember, before we go any further:

:wink:

Offline 60decibels

• Activist
« Reply #1216 on: July 25, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »
I just found out a few weeks ago that some of my ancestors were original settlers of New Amsterdam - not to mention some parts of Queens. Does that make me more of a local than some of the locals who grew up here?  :-D

Offline Hanahlly

• Citizen
« Reply #1217 on: July 25, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »
Actually, I think these people are in the minority, and I don't believe that every native Astorian carries such prejudice and bias.  It's easy to blame everything on "transplants", so they do.  I mean, come on - NYC was built by immigrants.  Everyone - unless you are from one of the indigenous tribes on this island - is a descendant of people who came here from somewhere else. 

To smear and demean these "transplants" as they do is lazy and small minded on their part. And those that hold on to such anger and vitriol will only stay stranded in their fetid bad attitude swamp.  Be happy you're not in there with them.

But remember, before we go any further:

:wink:

Can't remember if you're the person who posted the Jake G. photo or if that was someone else. Either way, both made me smile. Thanks for that.

I remember reading someone's post about a desire to have more long term renters because short term renters in the area treat it like it's a hotel or stop on the way to somewhere better. High turnover often goes hand in hand with disrespectful attitudes and behaviors, but- not always. I'm not a native Astorian but like the part of Astoria in which I live. With the exception of the ongoing native vs. nonnative diatribe on community message boards, I have not had any experiences, good or bad, with anyone in the real live world about this subject. To me, that's a good thing because the more hospitable the people are within a given neighborhood, the more cohesive it becomes which will hopefully keep residents here longer, thus diminishing the tenant turnover.

kathleenburns

« Reply #1218 on: July 25, 2010, 09:05:57 PM »
I was   transplanted here 50 years ago, gosh where did those 50 years go.  my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren are natives.   i've seen a lot of changes in 50 years.  wish we did have a good supermarket, but that was voted down by the natives.  still miss kiddieland, my children would drag me in there.   i use to walk all around here all the time, there was so much too see.  one thing always got a seat on the subway, never had to stand.  i guess it is packed now.   we did go through the crack era that was rough. we had yellow cabs all the time, then they were gone. seems like they are coming back.  they even had a phone at the cab stand and you could for yellow cab if one wasn't there.  we have seen our share of bombings, the big one one on 31st street, which also took our our post office. now it is in the old greek threater,  they showed American movies before that.  we had department stores, they are gone.   really would like a big hard ware store.  people have told me a lot of history of  Astoria over the years.

Offline flikchik

• Resident
Re: Hello
« Reply #1219 on: July 26, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »
Hi and welcome to everyone.........you've all picked a great place to live.  I'm 48, work as a production coordinator  and I'm a 3rd generation Astorian (my grandparents moved her from Italy back in the 1930's).  And I'm so grateful that they did. 

I moved away for a while but ultimately came back home.  My childhood was here, my grandparent's souls are here, my memories continue here.......my heart will forever live here.

To me...we Astorians have the protected encasement of the Triborough and Hellgate bridges, and the lushness of Astoria Park to call our backyard.  If we continue to take care of our Astoria...it will continue to be the place we're proud to call home.

Jenny

Offline tiger

• Tourist
Hello! Been here 2 years, getting social on the internets
« Reply #1220 on: July 26, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »
Howdy -

I've been living on Ditmars for about 2 years, enjoying the limited number of restaurants and bars I'm familiar with in the area.  Now I'm the new bartender at Hell Gate Social, so I figure I'd better get social and get to know what people, places and things I've been missing out on.

Places I frequent: Martha's Country Bakery, Igloo, Brooklyn Bagels on Ditmars, Watawa, Sweet Afton, Sparrow, Tasty Corner (blueberry pancakes!!)... a little over the beer garden.  Astor Bakery, which recently opened next to Hell Gate, is pretty close to sublime.

Feel free to give me tips on what I've been missing!  On or around Ditmars Blvd. would be a huge plus...otherwise, anything within biking distance from there is fair game.

I'm at Hell Gate Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays - if you're in the area, come by and say hello! (Astoria Blvd between 12th and 14th sts...next to the aforementioned new bakery!!)

Thanks guys!

Offline micphi

• Tourist
« Reply #1221 on: August 02, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »
Me and my girlfriend just moved to Astoria now that we've transferred colleges to CUNY Baruch. We're originally from Ulster County. We're not "hipsters" and would prefer not to be considered "transplants" as it makes us feel like we were surgically bound to the area. I'm thinking there's probably no way of shedding that label without a serious time investment in the area and community.

We've got another 3 years of school before we can get our CPA's so we'll be around here for at least that long, and hopefully much longer.

If anyone knows of some good places to grab some food, please let me know. I've been stuck in Chain Restaurant Hell for my entire life, and I'd love to savor the local eats.

Offline AJ

• Citizen
« Reply #1222 on: August 03, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »

If anyone knows of some good places to grab some food, please let me know. I've been stuck in Chain Restaurant Hell for my entire life, and I'd love to savor the local eats.

There are great places all over Astoria, from Neptune Diner on 31Street and Astoria Blvd to Alba's Pizza on Ditmars and 37th Street and great places in between. Sushi, Italian, Thai, Greek, Indian, you name it.  Depends on where you're living.

Offline micphi

• Tourist
« Reply #1223 on: August 03, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
I don't mind driving a ways to get to some great food. Our last apartment we were a 30 minute drive from the nearest legit restaurant (or anything else) in any direction, so I'm no stranger to having to spend a bit of time travelling to find some grub.

As for the type of cuisine, I've been craving Thai food lately, but I'm really up for trying anything. Foreign cuisine is a bit of a rarity in the town we come from, and I'm starving for some variety.

Offline AJ

• Citizen
« Reply #1224 on: August 03, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
There are 2 Thai places in the Ditmars area. One is on 31 Street near 21st Avenue. The other is on Ditmars Blvd and I think 37th Street. Hope it helps.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #1225 on: August 03, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »
I hope the surgery takes well. Let us know please if you find good food around Baruch.
There is so much you could find locally or not so distant. Check the Restaurant searches on the board here too.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/nf/3/200/257/New-York/Astoria/Thai-Restaurants?sort=1

Also
http://weheartastoria.com/2010/03/judith-hearts-astorias-restaurant-scene/

http://astorianyc.blogspot.com/2010/01/finally-fridays-best-thai-food.html

Hope you like Greek food too. Good luck with the license and all.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline Minton

• Tourist
« Reply #1226 on: August 13, 2010, 12:24:08 AM »
Hello,

I moved to 31st Road off Crescent in April, from Wisconsin. I am a software consultant. I like Astoria and plan to stay. I'm interested in learning about Astoria's public schools -- are there threads here regarding school issues?

Thanks,

Minton

Offline JayNYC

• Resident
« Reply #1227 on: August 19, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
Hey everyone.

I'm moving to Astoria on September 1st from Upstate NY hoping to get some work in the film business (directing, producing, marketing, casting, etc). The entire side of my dad's family were born and raised in Astoria (and some even built houses in the Ditmars area) so it seemed natural to look into it as a possible place to live. After visiting a few times I loved it and now have an apartment on 44th street.

My first question I have deals with the trains. I will be moving into an apartment on 44th street fairly close to Astoria Blvd. My family tells me to take the Subway on 46th street because it's, in their words, "better" than the elevated train. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this?

Secondly, what does everyone do for cable in Astoria? Is Time Warner Cable the most popular option?

And finally, I'm a pretty big fan of watching Stand-Up Comedy. I know there are several clubs in Manhattan but is there any stand-up comedy in Astoria? Someone told me that the Waltz-Astoria that has comedy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline JAC

• Resident
« Reply #1228 on: September 17, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »
Hello Astorians-

I've been lurking around reading posts for a while and thought, what the heck, I'll register and post something.
I've lived in Astoria for just about 2 years with my family. I wanted to move here primarily due to the decent elementary schools, somewhat more reasonable rent and the not having  to commute to work from a great distance. Since I don't commute during NYC traditional rush hour, it's a pleasant ride in to Midtown.
So far we like it here and since we have a child in a public school here we feel more connected to the neighborhood and more invested in where the neighborhood goes from here.

Offline jherhim

• Tourist
« Reply #1229 on: October 02, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »
Hi,
We live in Jackson Heights and love the message board here, so I thought I'd give this one a look.  My family loves many of the restaurants in Astoria and will look for what people are recommending here.

thanks,

jherhim

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life