relax

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 138941 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Hello
« on: July 09, 2005, 02:01:07 PM »
Just wanted to say hello and to introduce myself here to all of you.  I will be moving to Astoria in early August from Long Island.  LI is not my native area but I have been living there for the last four years studying music at Stony Brook University.  Now that I've gotten my doctorate, I'm moving to Queens to be closer to the city's music scene.  I'm a harpsichordist and erstwhile singer that plays and sings both early music and new music; I teach as well.  I also love to eat and cook, and am really excited about the availability of good food and ingredients in Astoria.  I run, bike, and swim, so Astoria Park looks fabulous.  Don't own a car (I have lived on LI for 4 years without a car!) but walk and bike everywhere.  I think Astoria will be a good place for me.

Anyway, I look forward to exploring Astoria.  Perhaps I will meet some of you at some point, too.

Meg

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 05:43:50 PM »
Welcome to the board. And make sure you say hello again once you move here.

There's a very friendly crowd that hangs out at the Freeze Peach Cafe, on the corner of 29th St and Ditmars Blvd. You are welcome to stop by and say hello at any time.

iLoveCheese

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 09:15:21 AM »
ya know, we should all write a couple sentences about who we are in real life on this thread. That would be kind of neat.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 09:43:28 AM »
ok - you start :-)

iLoveCheese

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 09:51:29 AM »
I knew someone was going to say that. Okay, fair enough.

I'm 28 (29 in a week!) and I've lived in Astoria for 7 years. I'm originally from outside Syracuse, NY. I just finished my Masters at Hunter College (phew!). I'm a professional cartographer for the City and I live in the Broadway area of Astoria with my husband. I'm nuts for Astoria and Long Island City and I have my own little website about them footed below.

Your turn!

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 11:37:54 AM »
Ok, I'll go.

I'm in my late twenties and have lived in Astoria a year and a half (Manhattan 2 years prior to that).  I'm a web developer for a non-profit and telecommute (mostly from the Freeze Peach).  I'm sometimes the unofficial social coordinator for the Freeze -- and I'll be running the second annual Freeze Peach branch of National Novel Writing Month in November.
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 11:59:01 AM »
I'm Matt. I work at Freeze Peach as a barista and I also work for a non-profit  part time.

My girlfriend and I moved to the New York area in 2001, and then Astoria in 2002. I love Astoria! Just last month we got married. I'm 28.

My hobbies are: aviation, ham radio, computers, philosophy, genaric spirituality, experimental (even psudo) science, science fiction, star trek, linux & unix, poker, new ideas & brainstorming, and I'm sure others I'm not thinking of.

I have one cat named Pixel and I'm currently trying to train him to use the toilet instead of a litter box but so far he hasn't figured it out.

Telesphoros

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 06:43:39 PM »
I'm Telesphoros and I just recently moved to the area.  I'm sarcastic and mysterious as well as flummoxed at the moment and find the area charming and friendly.  I like the mix of people and the cut of your jib, yaaaaaargh.

I would love to attend a gaming night but it has been inconveniently deposited on Friday night and with Battlestar Galactica starting it's new season this week, I'm unsure I will be giving up that addiction any time in the near future to learn a new RPG.

I will however be scouring the site to keep abreast of the goings on and will from time to time join in. :mrgreen:

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 10:12:42 PM »
OK.  I'm Robyn and I just sort of hang around a lot.  I'm a low-level dilberta for a major corporation and I do bad things to good plants.  When I'm happy and in love with the world I cook.  

I run intermittently with the astoria cool runners group.

I read.

I go to the opera.

Most importantly, my favorite tea right now is 1/2 peppermint and 1/2 black, with honey, over ice.  It cools me off faster than anything else.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 11:35:10 PM »
Welcome, megc.  I hope you love Astoria as much as I do.

I've lived in New York all my life and in southern Astoria for 14 years.  I consider myself very fortunate in having found this neighborhood.  I'm 57 years old, an alumna of SUNY-Stony Brook, and a librarian in Harlem.

I love to cook and I love the food here in Astoria.  I love cats but don't have one at present.  I love classical music and wish there were more of it on the radio; my favorite composer is Bach.  I like classic movies in revival houses.  

I like reading about history and politics and recently attended a MoveOn house party.  I can play a mean game of Trivial Pursuit except that I'm woefully ignorant of today's popular culture.
Want your name in lights? Change it to Exit --Soupy Sales

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 07:55:13 AM »
Greetings

I'm Jennifer - age - I forget more and more frequently (truly) but I believe that it's 36 this month.  Just got married two months ago  to Jonathan (who is floating around here somewhere).  I've been in Astoria almost 3 years after moving back east from 10 years in Seattle - originally I'm from CT.  

I teach math at the all girls public school in East Harlem - which means I've got a lot of time for slacking, reading, riding my bike, making a domestic mess and gettting into trouble for the next couple of months.  

Hope to meet one or two of you in the near future.

Jen

iLoveCheese

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 09:50:23 AM »
I'm impressed! I don't this we'd get quite this response on Craig's List forums. Yay!

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 10:15:58 AM »
Okay. My turn I guess.

My name is Samantha and I am mrm's wife. I'm 27 even though I look like I am still in high school.

As he said we've been in the NYC area since 2001, and we've lived in Astoria since 2002. Before that we were in CA in college, but I am actually from Tennessee.

Anyway, since being in NYC I have interned, freelanced as a web and graphic designer, temped, and am now currently wrapping up my receptionist job at a rare stringed instruments dealer in Manhattan. In just a few days I'll be starting a great new job at a non-profit (thankfully NOT a receptionist job!), also in Manhattan.

I love to read - you'll see me doing that every day on the subway. I am currently reading a book about a forensic anthropologist. I enjoy computers (yes, I have been known to be a gamer), cooking, uncooking (currently a rawfoodist until I decide otherwise), writing, and watching TV...sometimes too much TV. Current favorites are Alias, Charmed, The Office (the US version), The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart, and Desperate Housewives (of course).

And Pixel is my cat, too. And in my humble opinion he's perfect even if he doesn't have the whole toilet thing down.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 11:33:44 AM »
It is really great to read all these replies!  Nice to know a little bit about all of you (I lurked for a week or so before I spoke up) and learn of your love and appreciation for Astoria.   I will definitely make a point to visit the Freeze Peach and maybe even join some of you for a game of Trivial Pursuit (ladywithpans?).  I am also a TV watcher (also love Alias and Charmed, the Daily Show and Desperate Housewives) and movie fan.  On that topic, what can you say about Time Warner and Road Runner?  I will need a highspeed connection once I move in.  

Sam, where did you go to college in CA?  And my housemate is from Tennesee!  Small world.  I also have a cat, Marina.  There are pictures of her on my flickr account, which you can access from my profile.  She is the best cat ever (but I am biased!).

Since all of you have shared your ages, I will with mine:  I am 36 but will turn 37 on Saturday. A happy birthday should go to Joey, fellow moon child.  ladywithpans, what did you study at SUNYSB?  Robyn, your tea sounds delish.  I have been exploring tea this year and find it a nice alternative to coffee.  But don't get me wrong, I love the coffee, especially if it is strong.

I can't wait to move!  The packing is a bummer, though.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 11:23:39 PM »
I was an English major at SUSB, and when I read classic literature now, I wonder why I've laid it by for so long.
Want your name in lights? Change it to Exit --Soupy Sales

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life