relax

Author Topic: Ethical Consumerism and Green Living  (Read 51213 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Re: Ethical Consumerism and Green Living
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2008, 01:42:34 PM »
Wetcleaning: An Alternative to Drycleaning

This is pretty interesting. The Wetcleaning process uses a dryer that senses immediately when the garment is dry and shuts off the heat, thus eliminating the risk of shinkage.

But I have to wonder, how is this any better than washing with Woolite and then airdrying?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:38 AM »
Frugal Village has a list of places you can donate various used items here - Ten Places that need your help

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
Do they sell low energy light bulbs that are used over a bathroom vanity?  My weekend home has ten 25 watt bulbs over the double sink in the master bath and I hate wasting all that energy

Offline caroslime

• Citizen
  • Up Derry!
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
Do they sell low energy light bulbs that are used over a bathroom vanity?  My weekend home has ten 25 watt bulbs over the double sink in the master bath and I hate wasting all that energy

Yes, my mom has them for her bathroom, so I know they exist.  She also just found them in the right shape for for chandeliers.  They are pricey, so she's been replacing them one at a time as the burn out.  I'm not sure where she got them...I think she said Home Depot, maybe? 

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »
It might be less expensive to put a dimmer switch on them.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline mronda

• Citizen
  • Grrly snoozing on her stuffed monkey (pillow)
« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
Any astorians using solar power on their homes? I want to. Nothing like living on the top floor to drive home the sun's point on its awesome power.

Offline rene0226

• Council Member
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »
Wanted to post this for this group -- a friend thinks solar panels and Permaculture Agriculture will save the world.  I confess I've never heard of permaculture.  Has anyone else?  It sounds like we're supposed to grow our own food and how practical is that for overworked New Yorkers?  Still, I've agreed to go. :)  Will post if anything pertinent to this topic.

Permaculture Solutions Lecture Series presents: “Permaculture Agriculture:Replacing the Myth of Scarcity with Visions of Abundance.”
Thursday, 26 June 2008, 7 pm.
15th Street Friends Meeting House. 15 Rutherford Place, Manhattan. 15th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenues.
Suggested donation $5.

Crop yields around the world are falling.  Rice is being rationed in California .  Is the predominant method of growing food the only way? Holistic multi-functional cultivated ecosystems can address our agricultural problems, and people all over the world are creating diversified high-yielding gardens and farms.  We can heal ourselves, our communities and our planetary support systems with responsible localized diversified Agriculture. Andrew Faust (B.A., Guilford College ) is a certified permaculture designer and a certified alternative school teacher who inspires students and clients with Design solutions for Ecological health.  He homesteaded off the grid in West Virginia for six years where he created the Center for Bioregional Living (www.homebiome.com).  He recently moved to New York City , where he is thriving on permaculture design work, teaching, consulting, and gardening with nonprofits, businesses, schools, communities and homeowners. Andrew is working with Tristate Food Not Lawns to bring permaculture design to urban gardening.  He is conducting gardening talks at Open Road and teaching a permaculture design course at the Open Center starting in July.

Sponsored by:
Neighborhood Energy Network     http://neighborhoodenergynetwork.org/
Tristate Food Not Lawns     http://www.tristatefoodnotlawns.org/
Oil Awareness Meetup     http://oilawareness.meetup.com/36/
Sierra Club NYC Group     http://www.nyc.sierraclub.org/
Friends in Unity with Nature www.funquakers.org/
Truth is one, Paths are many

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2008, 05:48:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with growing your own food, even if you are a busy overworked New Yorker. Perhaps it's time for a career change.
  Greening the desert: http://youtube.com/watch?v=sohI6vnWZmk
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2008, 07:16:52 PM »
Wanted to post this for this group -- a friend thinks solar panels and Permaculture Agriculture will save the world.  I confess I've never heard of permaculture.  Has anyone else?

Yes! I would love to try permaculture. You can learn about it from oodles and oodles of videos online showing Bill Mollison (father of permaculture) going around the world preaching its virtues. This video of Sepp Holzer is my favorite though.

Right now, though, it would be most tough to start doing permaculture in our current living situation.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline astoristani

• Council Member
  • we own all your base
    • NYCee
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
Friends, Astorians, and Country(wo)men, lend me your ears!
  Does anyone on this board share with my affinity to wander around the neighborhood on "bulk pick up day" to salvage great things that our neighbors throw away as "trash, but are really treasures"?  I'm not talking about tearing open garbage bags to find recyclables or eating out of dumpsters, but things that you either want or need that you can find on the street.
  In the last few weeks, I've found a beautiful office chair--in perfect condition--for my computer desk, twelve of those little white-wired shelves, which I used to organize my cabinets and freezer, a four plank cabinet, and an antique Chinese Shrine, that I cleaned up with a bit of oil soap.  All in the trash! and free of charge..
  In the past, I also found a vintage guitar and bazouki, as well as a lot of great artwork (oil paintings and objets d'art) in the trash around my apartment.
I find it so very funny that people here think that they are interacting with my avatar. Do they also believe that they are interacting with pieces of fruit, cats and cartoon characters? Enquiring minds want to know...

Cleo

« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I decided to join the CSA here in Astoria, but unfortunately found that they were full.  Looking for alternatives, a friend told me about Urban Organic ( http://www.urbanorganic.com/node/1 ), which delivers organic food right to your doorstep.  I have been using them for about 2 months now and it's been great!  Just posting it for people looking for alternatives if, like me, they found out too late about their local CSA.

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »
Thanks Cleo! Their prices look pretty good too. It's almost worth it to go for their little box and not have to shlep out to the Union Square or Prospect Park greenmarkets.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Cleo

« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »
Glad to be of service! 

They deliver in Astoria on Fridays after 9:00 PM, which is nice for me, 'cause my hubby & I both work in the city and we don't have to worry about the vegetables & fruits perishing in the heat.  We order the little box every two weeks and it's plenty for both of us.  The one thing we noticed last time is that the peaches were too ripe.  We are testing to see how this week's peaches come, if we don't like them again we'll substitute them going forward.

Another benefit is that we have been trying new recipes (from their website and from old cookbooks) to use all the produce in the box and have expanded our usual home cooked menu quite a bit.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2008, 09:46:49 PM »
Just stumbled upon this video about Carrotmob. Has anyone heard about this group before? I've always appreciated the idea of voting with your money, but it seems that organizing the vote is more effective for change.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

angelynyc

« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2008, 06:34:37 AM »
It might be less expensive to put a dimmer switch on them.

A dimmer switch will consume the same amount of energy regardless of the brightness level set by the switch.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life