relax

Author Topic: dont judge a book by its cover  (Read 2482 times)

frozenfroot

dont judge a book by its cover
« on: June 21, 2004, 02:52:30 AM »
dingy (dinjee) little place on 31st st/ astoria blvd called ROTI BOTI/ bangladeshi curry etc.

diner style without booths/ widescreen tv on all the time with the same bangladeshi music videos over and over. girl frolicks and teases man next to stream/ girl frolicks and tosses hair and teases man in mountain pasture/ girl frolicks on farm as mother chases her to prepare her for a wedding, etc.

serves fresh baked naan 24/7

veg curries and meat dishes

real roti fire oven for roasting spiced meat skewers

nice mixed salad with raita dressing

i usually order a couple of entrees and a naan bread, get a salad that comes with my order and walk out for under fifteen bucks.

the food is tasty/ well spiced, with anise and cumin, corriander, nutmeg, cloves, etc.

enjoy

jim leff

dont judge a book by its cover
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 12:08:23 AM »
Great place, but it's 21st St, not 31st St.

there's a newer branch further down 21st St, just south of Broadway on the west side.

JIM

frozenfroot

whoops. 21st. Street Indeed
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 01:00:32 AM »
whoopsee.

hope i didn't throw anyone off. or p anyone off who was looking for the restaurant. it is indeed on 21st st. i used to get 21st St. and 31st St. mixed up when i first moved to astoria.

as if that is interesting information to anyone but myself.

the original post was quite a while back. i'm glad someone still picked up on it. ROTI BOTI is definitely worth a detour to the fringe of the 'neighborhood.' it's just within walking distance of astoria park - and a nice place to drop in after a couple of hours of reading or walking the track...

in newer restaurant picks news:

word on the ave is Michelangelo's

23rd ave, that is. great GREAT thin crust pizza. but that's not all they do. i ordered from them by phone once- asked if they could do a ravioli puttanesca (anchovies, olives, capers, onions) it wasn't even on the menu and twenty minutes later barabing-baraboom. there it was. even if it did come in a tin-foil to go tray it tasted like it had been prepared with... i hate to say it. love.

i have heard evenings are best. good luck. and good eating.

ff

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life