relax

Author Topic: Informal Poll: Favorite Greek Restaurant  (Read 3499 times)

Offline rene0226

• Council Member
Informal Poll: Favorite Greek Restaurant
« on: June 23, 2005, 12:08:58 PM »
Have out of town guests coming and they all want to "eat Greek food in Astoria".  I'm not too familiar with many Greek restaurants here so if anyone wants to contribute their favorite -- where it is & why you love it, I'd appreciate the input.
Truth is one, Paths are many

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 09:59:37 PM »
I haven't tried all the Greek places, and I never ate at Karyatis before it went belly up  :cry:

But of those I've tried, my favorite is the Zygos Taverna, on 31st St. south of Ditmars Blvd.

Demetris, on Bway near 33rd St., is also good.
Want your name in lights? Change it to Exit --Soupy Sales

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
greek food
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 03:08:52 PM »
Im suprised everyone hasnt kicked in their 2 cents on this one.

where does one go for good greek food.
tellys taverna is good
uncle goerges mediocre
the place on ditmars and 19th is very good

What are the astorians picks?

iLoveCheese

faves
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 04:33:25 PM »
Elia's Fish Corner, then S'gapo people rave about Phylloxa (sp?), too.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 02:53:08 AM »
Taverna Kyclades (Ditmars and 33rd) is a very tasty and popular Greek seafood place. Even the bread is artful.

Timarimba

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:31:40 AM »
I always go for Zorba's because it's pretty cheap, but I always hear that Stamatis is the absolute best, though I've never been.  There's one on 23rd ave and 29th street, and I think there's another one on Broadway somewhere.

Tim

AstoriaK

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:08:14 PM »
I love the Stamatis on Broadway too, but I tend to find myself at Aliada on Broadway and 30th Street.  The only bad part is that they have daily specials that tend to run out pretty early (for example when they have their baked lamb special you have to get there super early).  Otherwise it's decently priced and the food is pretty good too.

Offline artgirl

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 11:54:25 AM »
I second Aliada. I highly recommend their meze... it's ideal for a group, and gives a wide sampling of lots of different things (good for those who haven't eaten much Greek food so aren't sure what to order).

AstoriaK

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 04:25:51 PM »
You are totally right about going there for a group.  My theater group always goes there after a show and we always start out with the cold antipasti platter (all the major greek dips w/ warm pita-yum!).  I even took my parents there, who are not into trying new things, and even THEY found something to eat there that they liked.

daveed

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 10:16:27 AM »
When I first moved to Astoria, I absolutely loved Stamatis (23rd Ave). After having tried it a few more times, along with other Greek restaurants, I'm afraid it doesn't evem make my top 10. The simple fact is that there are a lot better places around.

Hands down favorite (for me) is Agnanti on Ditmars and 19th -- at the NW corner of Astoria Park. I just brought some out-of-town friends there last weekend and it was again fantastic. Incredibly fresh food, beautiful preparation, laid-back atmosphere, and very reasonable (a big plus since most Greek joints are overpriced IMO).

One of my coworkers is highly involved in the Slow Food Movement and I'm trying to bring him out here (God forbid a Manhattanite comes to Queens for dinner ;) ). I'm thinking it my qualify as a 'slow food establishment'. BTW,  knows Mombar, the incredible Egyptian place on Steinway, and reviewed it for the Slow Food Guide to NYC.

For more of a home-cooked experience I like Zygos, though the service is inconsistent. I suppose it helps if you understand Greek (I don't).

Oh, and I've heard a lot of great things about Elias's Corner, but I've never tried it -- I don't care much for seafood. BTW, did anyone see the "Blind Date" episode some time ago where the couple went to Elias's Corner? I'm not kidding! I was having a late-night junk-TV indulgence and I'm looking at the neighborhood where it was taped thinking, "This looks a lot like Astoria". Then there's a shot of the couple going into the restaurant. :D

I guess it was a good place b/c IIRC, they hit it off. :)

Has anyone tried Mezzo Mezzo on Ditmars?

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 10:55:12 AM »
Elia's corner is definitely still my favorite Greek restaurant in Astoria. We have been going there since before it moved to its current location from the spot across the street ad the food has been consistently good, and the fish consistently fresh, the whole time (needless to say the prices have gone up...) I love the fact that it still doesn't have a menu and that you can see what they have in the vitrine as you walk in. The wait is sometimes long, but it is worth it.

Taverna Cyclades is also very good, but often too crowded.

Aliada is pretty good (if a bit overpriced) if you eat there, but every time I've had take-out it's been terrible... if you want takout in the broadway area I suggest the chicken from the cart across the ctreet in fron of C-town!

Another fun and inexpensive place is Opa! on 31st street, off of 30th ave. It looks like a little hole in the wall, but has a whole warren of rooms, and a little courtyard, inside.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life