relax

Author Topic: a lot of Pet Peeves???  (Read 50521 times)

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
Re: a lot of Pet Peeves???
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »
Your and you're. Its and it's too. Those seem really simple to me, but seem to get mixed up a lot.

Speaking of peeves, and coffee-related peeves, as a non-native New Yorker, I have a hard time ordering coffee at dunkin donuts. What's the lingo? I never seem to get across what I want just right. I like dunkin donuts coffee (and it's so much cheaper than starbucks), but I never get it because it's such a stressful thing for me to order. I always feel like an idiot. What's the code word for "a LOT of skim milk and one splenda"? Maybe I just need to not be so picky about how much milk is in my coffee.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 02:10:55 PM »
- unsolicited advice
- general rudeness
- littering

there's a lot more but I'm actually busy at work today.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 02:17:26 PM »
What's the code word for "a LOT of skim milk and one splenda"? Maybe I just need to not be so picky about how much milk is in my coffee.

Coffee, light and sweet, with SKIM and ONE Splenda.

Light = lots of milk
Sweet = some kinda sugar

Or you might do, light with skim and one splenda.
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 02:25:32 PM »
- People who talk just too damn much when I'm way too busy (I'm a good listener, but not all day long!)
- Drama queens (and kings)
- George Bush as leader of our country
- Having to choose between Hillary and Barack (why did they have to go and make it difficult?!)
- And like everyone else - its, it's, your, you're, I, me (Jtrane - I totally am with you on that one), there, their, etc.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 02:48:56 PM »
Their/they're/there is annoying, but you know what really, *really* bugs me? When people mix up breath and breathe. Makes me want to punch something. Hard.

Also, I can't stand people who are rude/inconsiderate to cashiers or salespeople. I wish people would realize that the cashiers can't change corporate policies (refund procedures, specific items they carry, how many they have in stock, etc), and it kills me when people yell at cashiers because of something they have no control over. I worked in retail for 6 years, and I lost SO MUCH faith in humanity during that time. People could scream at me and call me any name in the book, I've been threatened, one woman even threw a VHS tape really at my head once, but I could never do the same because "the customer is always right!" The worst part about it was that I always wanted to make whatever was wrong right! On the other side, rude cashiers and salespeople bug me too (especially since I'm always nice, even if I'm in a crappy mood), but not as much since I know what they have to deal with.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

JustDesserts

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »
A few of my pet peeves are also spelling-related, like when people spell definitely "definately, " or separate "seperate." For the love of Pete, people, have you not heard the saying, "there's a rat in separate."  I hate it when people say "supposably" (not a word) instead of "supposedly."

I further hate it when large groups of teenagers have parties on the landing outside my apartment.  I hate those chirpy phones.  I hate it when my neighbors' friends holler for them from the street repeatedly rather than buzzing them or calling them.  Like now, for example.  One of the kids next door is named Pollo (I don't know why). But instead of simply buzzing him like normal people, they stand outside on the street and scream "POLLO!!!!  POLLO!!!!!  Hey!!!! Come to the window!!!!!" over and over.  It's frankly obnoxious. 

I also hate hearing and seeing people spit in the street. 

There are lots of societal things I hate that I won't mention here for fear of starting a very scary debate.

And most of all, like NYCMacUser, I loathe people who are cruel, neglectful, or disrespectful to animals.  They do not have their own voices to tell someone when they're being mistreated.  It's our responsibility to make sure they're cared for. 

Good thread, Jennifer!  I feel so much better unleashing that.   :-)

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 04:24:26 PM »
Grammarwise, it drives me crazy when people can't match the number of their noun to the number of their verb (ie- using a plural verb with a singular subject). it's something our so-called president does all the time, and I've noticed more and more people doing it, even newcasters!

On that note, typos and grammatical errors on serious publications also frustrate the hell out of me. Blogs and listservs are one thing, but the NYTimes should be able to spell independence! (NOT independance!)

Cruelty to animals, and to children.
Then there is the whole list of subway faux pas, which I won't get into.
The way people always tend to stop and have an extended conversation in the narrowest spot of any passage, completely oblivious to the fact that people are trying to get by.

And finally, people who go fifty-five in the left lane on the highway. I swear, if I ever find myself in public office, I am going to start a campaign to teach people that the left lane is for passing, ONLY for passing!

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 04:34:29 PM »
I have so many...
old people and people with strollers. not all of them, just the ones who think they get to do whatever they damn well please because they've existed longer than i have or they are pushing around life's precious miracle. it does not give you the right to push me out of the way and call me a whore or use your child and its vehicle as a weapon against my ankles.
people who are rude. if i hold the door open for you say thank you dammit.
people who let their children run free in a store hiding in racks and throwing things and etc etc. come to think of it, those kids are a peeve too.
people who have to get super close to you on the train, even though there's room.
people who stand in the doorway of a train door (that's fine i do it) but then don't move when the doors open (i move off the train to accomodate passengers) and the people who cram on the train before letting you off.
train delays with no explanation making me 30 minutes late to work (ie, this morning on the R).
knowing i am going to lose my job but not when(ie the past month-but this is good, i want them to lay me off).
people who call and don't leave a message (you got that far just tell me what the hell you wanted).
*artstar this is for us* the idiots at ASC who don't get off the treadmill after 30 minutes like you are supposed to do after 5pm and keep going even though we are clearly waiting our turn. it's fine if no one is there, but if there clearly are people waiting then adhere to the rule.
my number one pet peeve is the damn office i work in and all the incompetent people i am surrounded by.

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 04:44:17 PM »
People who insist on talking really loudly on their cell phones in public, spitting, littering, people who use machines at the gym and then don't clean them when they are done, braggarts, unnecessary horn honking and tailgating and people who block the exit/entrance of the subway when it stops at the station- move out of the freaking way!! :evil:

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 04:48:47 PM »
Oh one more.... when you see a really pregnant woman or a really old person on the train or bus standing and no one offers them a seat! That really drives me crazy!

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »
People who plow into you when the subway door opens...

Rude waiters and waitresses

When people get congratulated for doing what they were supposed to do anyway.
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 11:31:57 PM »
Here's another pet peeve of mine -

People who can't take the time to empty their gas before dance class and instead release it in class.  For some reason, I always end up behind this particular flatulator who cannot hold it in, and lets it out during salsa class.  Then I can't f-in breathe because I have to smell his stink!  WTF??  And people who drip sweat on me are disgusting.  Ew!!!!

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 11:34:46 PM »
Here's another pet peeve of mine -

People who can't take the time to empty their gas before dance class and instead release it in class.  For some reason, I always end up behind this particular flatulator who cannot hold it in, and lets it out during salsa class.  Then I can't f-in breathe because I have to smell his stink!  WTF??  And people who drip sweat on me are disgusting.  Ew!!!!

Okay...that isn't a pet peeve...that is plain disgusting...
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 08:16:13 AM »
Okay...that isn't a pet peeve...that is plain disgusting...

I'm not arguing with that one.  I get so skeeved out by this guy!!

JustDesserts

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 10:00:04 AM »
Oh yeah, here's another one:  what's the deal with people listening to their iPods so loudly that I can actually recognize the songs, and pick out lyrics from the complete opposite side of the train?  THe point of headphones are so that the people near you don't have to listen to your crappy music, am I right?  How are they not deaf by now from all that craziness? 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life