relax

Author Topic: a lot of Pet Peeves???  (Read 50522 times)

Offline jennifer

• Senator
a lot of Pet Peeves???
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:21:37 PM »
A LOT

It's two words people!!!

It's an amount of stuff like
a couple
a few
a lot

I don't know why.... it bothers me soooo much.  I'm a terrible speller.  Not much of a grammarian.  But for some reason the incorrect spelling of this phrase has always bugged the beejeepers out of me.  Maybe b/c it's the one thing I DO know how to spell correctly and therefore assume everyone else should be able to as well.

Handyman

Re: a lot of Pet Peeves???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »
I take my coffee black.   Nice and easy, right??   You would think so.   It drives me absolutely BATTY when the person pouring/serving me my coffee asks, "do you want sugar?"

ASSHOLE!!  If I wanted sugar, I would have said, "Black WITH SUGAR!!!"     :x :x

I usually repeat "Black" when they ask and wouldn't you know it...  they ask AGAIN!!  I swear sometimes that I could keep that loop going for hours.

It's the easiest cup of coffee in the world to serve people...  why must you complicate my life with stupid questions??!!

This concludes this portion of our rant.   Thank you for coming.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 05:08:09 PM »
Oh geez, I spell alot wrong all the time.   You must hate me.

I have some pet peeves or turn-offs:
people who spit on the sidewalk
people who wear sunglasses at all hours
homophobia, bigotry, and machismo
catty women
smoking - especially reefer in combination with video games and yelling at football games on tv
people who slurp their food - it's the whole saliva thing, I don't need to hear or see your saliva!
dogs that feel the need to sniff human's private parts, people who don't pick up their dogs poop but rather leave it in the street for everyone to step in accidently

that's all for now

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 05:33:20 PM »
If alot of people spell the word a lot as one word, does the alternate spelling becoming legitimate?  Sort of like how base ball turned into baseball?

People who wear their backpacks and huge purses on their shoulders in crowded trains is not really a peeve of mine.  It's the look they shoot you when you try and snake past them and you bump into their bag which gets my goat. 
Molwv Labe

Telesphoros

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 05:49:25 PM »
People who wear their backpacks and huge purses on their shoulders in crowded trains is not really a peeve of mine.  It's the look they shoot you when you try and snake past them and you bump into their bag which gets my goat. 
My pet peeve is people with goats. :-P

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 05:50:30 PM »

I usually repeat "Black" when they ask and wouldn't you know it...  they ask AGAIN!!  I swear sometimes that I could keep that loop going for hours.

I get your frustrations...however, coming from a line of coffee makers and servers...when someone asks for a coffee and just say "coffee" the universal understanding is milk and two sugars. Any thing else requires clarificaqtion. Black only refers to milk or no milk, not sugar....so following that rule, if you say black, and make no reference to sugar, the assumption would be that you still want two sugars....

Maybe there are different rules on this but I have been lectured by many a customer as a teen working in my uncles deli...

my pet peeve....people who think they know everything... :roll:
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 06:11:40 PM »
Alexa, I totally hear ya, having also worked as a barista and making lots of coffee.  Still considering myself fairly new to the coffee making, I always asked a lot of questions.

And I'm just going to rant here:  I ordered a cup of hot tea (herbal Yogi tea) at Sparrow the other night.  The girl behind the counter gave me a cup of hot water, and I put the teabag in it.  That in itself was $3 (!).  Then, to just drop a teaspoon of milk in it, she wanted to charge me $1.  ONE DOLLAR!  And $3 for an 8 oz cup of tea??  I asked her, when she told me about the milk, "are you sereious??"  She ended up not charging me for the milk (begrudgingly), thank goodness.

I'll order beer from them again, but never tea.  WTF???

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 06:37:34 PM »
My pet Peeve is a small hairless yorkshire terrier. About 6 months old but looks much older, some say 14 months.  Some say ugly but i say really ugly.  I let him sleep outside so I don't have to look at him much. Not very cuddly or cute you know.

And that brings me to a relatively stupid pet peeve.  Why is your baby 18 months old?? Why isn't it a year and a half?  My nephew is 70 months and doing fine.  Grandma was 288 months when she died recently.  Her last birthday was hell on candles. Nearly burn her house down.  It was blowing them out that killed her.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 07:53:58 PM »
A LOT

It's two words people!!!

I've been waiting weeks to use that...!

Meg, that's ridiculous for tea. Totally justified rant! Is it not a pet peeve if everyone would be outraged by the same thing...?

Alexa, I think the "regular = milk + 2 sugars" thing is just in New York City... I don't think that's true elsewhere, but I wasn't a coffee drinker until after moving here, so I'm not totally sure...

Frappe, but "base ball" is a noun-noun compound, while "a lot" is, um, an article and a noun, and you can't normally squish those together in English...

Offline Cannibal

• Mayor
  • This bear won't let the snow stop him!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 08:10:30 PM »
Drivers that don't signal their turns.

We pedestrians are not clairvoyant, although many drivers must think we are.  So oft-times we're positioned at the intersection of life, doing our best to intuit the next move of some idiot in a sometimes Tank-sized behemoth with a six-cylinder engine attempting to bear down on us, er, me.  First I look up at the driver's eyes, then down to the pointing of the front tires.  The cluelessness of these drivers, especially after they've done it, is truely profound - as if the cars didn't come equipped with turning indicators.  The laws must be just some sort of concept;  like red lights, ones that can be acted upon - or not- at will.

- Cannibal
line'em up and shoot!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:18:20 PM by Cannibal »
If I can't walk there,
It doesn't exist.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 08:13:46 PM »
I had to do a lot of thinking about this question, and I am amazed at how many things in life really piss me off. So, here is my list, not in any order of how badly I get pissed off:

1) People who are cruel to animals
2) People that don't use their turn signals
3) People who bite their nails or pick their nose in public
4) People who oppose a woman's right to choice and are also against universal healthcare.
5) People who whine about every thing
6) People who talk-the-talk but who have never walked-the-walk
7) People who thrive on gossip
8) People who don't know how to parent and don't understand what child cruelty is all about
9) People who teach their children fear of animals and people who are different
10) People who are just plain rude
11) People who don't understand that to have change you need to get involved
12) People who name their child with a name that will cause them anguish their whole lives
13) People who haven't found at least something of a balance between idealism and realism
14) People with an inordinate sense of entitlement
15) People who don't say 'thank you' or 'you're welcome'
16) People with bad restaurant manners that can make a restaurant experience dreadful
17) People who brag about how drunk or stoned they got
18) People who answer their phones on speaker-phone
19) People who don't know the difference between 'infer' and 'imply'
20) People who nothing better to do than listing their own personal and obnoxious pet peeves
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 10:06:25 PM »
Frappe, but "base ball" is a noun-noun compound, while "a lot" is, um, an article and a noun, and you can't normally squish those together in English

Very true, but I wasn't really making an observation on the specific mechanics.  I just observed that, when enough people start using an alternate spelling, definition, pronunciation, et cetera, that it becomes legitimate.  That's how English became English, a fifeteen century stream of mistakes, misunderstandings and mispellings.  As it is, spelling in the English language is a form of ritualized insanity.  ghoti = fish!

As for the coffee debate, I slung coffee in cafes for eight years and after the first three months I learned never to leave the customer's order to chance.  Enough people do not follow the Oxford Guide to Proper Coffee Ordering Etiquette that as a waiter or counterperson, you have to ask, because any mistake made falls right on the head of the server.
Molwv Labe

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 01:23:20 AM »
Knowing the difference between you and I and you and me.  It's a really simple rule.  Think of it the same as if you were only referring to yourself.  Seems like everyone says "you and I" exclusively these days because "I" sounds more propper or something, when in fact they are wrong. 

example...

"John gave free drinks to Bob and I" is WRONG!!!!!  You wouldn't say John gave a drink to I.  It would be John gave a drink to ME.  So when you add another person to the situation, the rule stays the same.  Propperly would be "John gave free drinks to Bob and me."

or John and me went to the store.  WRONG.  You wouldn't say "Me went to the store."

So next time you are referring to someone else and yourself, think about how the phrase would sound if it was only you that you were referrencing.

Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline Alexa

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 04:41:47 AM »
Harlan, you are a funny guy...
When I'm about to do something, I ask myself "would an idiot do that" and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.

Offline aquaecny

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
That's mines!

That one really bothers me.
I understand that it was yours, his, or hers... but it is not mines!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life