relax

Author Topic: Crescent and Wine.  (Read 10153 times)

uzumaki

Crescent and Wine.
« on: January 17, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »
Amazing decor, the owner let me look around in there.  Turn of the century french decor meets punk.  They're opening in like a month.  It's next to Fatty's Cafe.  Check it out.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Crescent and Wine.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 05:24:33 PM »
I understand they will sell wine and beer.  Any cheese?

In any case, this is very exciting!  Thanks for the update, uzumaki!

uzumaki

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:27:44 PM »
from my understanding, light snacks with their wine and beers.  mostly imported beers and wine (don't quote me).  i'm going to walk by there again tomorrow and see what's going on inside.  i'll report back!

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:32:10 PM »
I'm very glad to hear this.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'm excited about the new offerings in that immediate area.  Agnanti is great.  I really like Hellgate on the Park.  Both for food and for cocktails.  The french place is going to open soon at Ditmars and 21st.  Now this.  Who knows what else.  But I haven't become a fan of Fatty's.  We went once and it just wasn't our style.  This place sounds much more promising.  And that Astoria Waltz is there as well.  Again, not my thing but it seems to have a following, looks nice and inviting, and seems to be an all around good thing.  I even love that Parkside market across from Agnanti.  They have great breads and cereals.  Definitely not your typical low class bodega.

logicchop

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »
I am skeptical about Crescent and Vine's focus. When I hear "beer" I think bar, and when I hear "wine" I think food (decent food, too). Typical bar food seems to clash with the wine idea, and I don't think a bar provides the right atmosphere for drinking wine. So it seems like these two things are conflicted. Also, don't get me wrong: I would drink wine in a bar, but I would never ordering anything other than the cheapest house on the menu. So unless their business model is to sell lots of inexpensive wine they better have some knockout snacks.

Also, I have to agree that Fatty's is unimpressive. We live next door and have been there only two or three times in 7 months. It isn't that the food is bad, it's just mediocre. The entire experience is easy to forget. In fact, unless we are headed in the other direction towards Agnanti, our "food options" don't start until we reach 31st. It is unfortunate that a restaurant right next to us would be so easy to overlook.

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
When I hear "beer" I think bar, and when I hear "wine" I think food (decent food, too).

Well, there are places that are "bars" in the loosest sense but sell, for example, a selection of very fine (and often quite expensive) Belgian beers.  Beer doesn't necessarily mean taps of Bud.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 11:45:15 AM »
Yay beer.

I think beer is a more well received "upscale" drink these days.  There are a great number of microbreweries doing fantastic things.  It's a little like "artisanal cheese" -- and beer is no longer the equivalent of individually wrapped American cheese slices. 

Fatty's actually does pretty well with beer selection so I look forward to seeing what they do with more dedicated bar/beer space.

cheers,
jayme
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

logicchop

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:50:27 AM »
When I think "bar" I do not necessarily think Budweiser, or loud music, or whatever. But I do think of a place where one sits around and drinks and chats, and where food is not the focus. My worry is that few will want to go to this place and purchase a nice bottle of wine just to drink it. That might work with champagne, but wine? If you are just enjoying a glass of wine with some friends and a few snacks, why drink anything that costs more than $10 a bottle? 

Again, these are just worries I have about the concept of an upscale wine bar. Maybe this place has the right concept at the right time and in the right place. We'll see.

Offline RoverNYC

• Council Member
    • http://flickr.com/photos/judsonkniffen/
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
When I think "bar" I do not necessarily think Budweiser, or loud music, or whatever. But I do think of a place where one sits around and drinks and chats, and where food is not the focus. My worry is that few will want to go to this place and purchase a nice bottle of wine just to drink it.

I think you need to drink more and worry less. Beer or wine, expensive or cheap... it don't matter. Cheers!

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:04:14 PM »
No need to worry until you see the place for yourself and have a tangible experience.  It might be unlike anything you've experienced before.  You might like it!  :D

Offline maura

• Citizen
    • maura dot com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 08:43:40 PM »
this place sounds amazing -- i'm hoping that it'll become a regular hangout of mine (and that it has some nights where it focuses on beer-and-cheese pairings -- blind tiger, RIP)
astorian since 2002, for the most part

Offline JulznJoe

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »
Looked like it was open when I passed by yesterday, has anyone tried it out yet?
I should be working...

Offline Hardkore

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 03:47:38 PM »
Speaking of Fatty's- Do they take credit cards yet?

uzumaki

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 11:52:52 PM »
Speaking of Fatty's- Do they take credit cards yet?

Nope!

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »
BTW:     It's: Crescent and Vine

Like Hollywood and Vine...vine is the tie in to wine..get it? :wink:
Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life