relax

Author Topic: something amiss at ubol's?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline masande

• Activist
something amiss at ubol's?
« on: December 30, 2006, 12:46:29 PM »
since moving to astoria 5 years ago my wife and i have been regular diners at ubol's kitchen on steinway. we could always count on consistently delicious food and excellent service from a staff that knew our drink orders before we entered the door. even with the 70s karaoke, this was one of our goto spots for a relaxing and satisfying evening.

last night (after many weeks without) we returned. something was wrong from the start. all the overhead lights were on and there were many more tables than usual. speaking of tables, they were unclothed and the new illumination level really showed how empty the place was on a friday night.

a new face half greeted us and i knew that something had changed. gone was all the usual staff and half the nik naks that gave the place character. and worst of all, pad kee mao and chicken basil leaves were now served in a spicy brown gravy no better (and perhaps worse) than any other thai restaurant in the city or elsewhere.

so my question is this: has ubol's changed ownership or was it a remarkably off night?

either way, i don't think we will go back.

Offline t3knoid

• Citizen
Re: something amiss at ubol's?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:24:04 PM »
My wife and I were there on Wednesday.  I thought the bright lighting was odd when we first came in and commented on it.  I don't know if there was a change in management....although the waitress that is usually there on weeknights was not there.  The waitress that we had was very attentive and actually very good.  As for the food, I didn't notice a big difference nor did my wife.

I will go back but will probably be more attentive for any more changes.  BTW, I bought the karaoke DVD set they usually play from an Thai internet site.  Call me crazy, but I actually like these DVDs <g>.

Offline masande

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »
looks like my suspicions were right...there are new owners. this makes me sad. perhaps i'll try thai elephant and see if it is a suitable replacement.

Offline jaygee

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:48:11 AM »
They even changed the name this past week to something like Aunee Thai or something close to that.

Offline photomill

• Citizen
    • The Photomill
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
This is some of the saddest news I've heard.  Ubols goes back to at least 1998 which is the first time I made it there.  For many years I was convinced it was the best Thai in the city.  Not any more.

Offline dalty52

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »
This is sad.  I live right next to Ubol's and eat there a lot............I haven't been in a month or so, since they changed.  The old staff was so nice and helpful...........have they all left?  That guy Jerry(sp?) that worked there was awesome.

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 08:12:32 AM »
is it just a name change? or a complete rehaul. I just orderd the other month and am sad to hear its gone. :-(
---i should be working, oh well---

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:24:31 AM »
Walked by last night and saw the new awning -- the name's Arunee Thai now.  They had streamers up.

Offline masande

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:08:01 AM »
that's interesting. there is an arunee thai in jackson heights. i wonder if they are connected?

the place seems pretty well reviewed at the jackson heights location. the one meal i had at the ubol's location was much less than good. as i've mentioned before, everything was covered in a spicy, brown gravy. blech.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »
I saw (unresolved) speculation on Chowhound that they are connected, but the speculation also noted that the Jackson Heights one is very good, whereas (as has been said here) the new Arunee on Steinway is not.

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life