relax

Author Topic: Ovelia: Great Greek food comes to Astoria  (Read 14015 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
Ovelia: Great Greek food comes to Astoria
« on: December 13, 2006, 08:20:51 PM »
Well my friends, it finally happened.  There have been some good ones and plenty of bad ones. But now we have something special in the neighborhood.  Ovelia on the corner of 30th ave and 34th street is a real find (and once again discovered by wife Jen and forced upon me), The food, ahhh the food.  Greek food done right!

First lets talk about the decor.  Not bad, a bit of a mix but not bad.  Nice glasses, tables, lighting.
Service was very nice and attentive.  The place did seem rather pricey and higher end looking than other places in the hood.

The wine list had many Greek wines to choose from ($20-$60) and a small selection of other wines. Bar looked stocked but didnt really give it a good look.

We started with the trinity ($15) of tarama, tzitziki and caponata/babaganoush.  You could taste the fish roe and not salty at all, sublime. The baba was fire roasted and smooth with chunks of tomato, excellent.  Tzitziki was very nice. All served with toasted seasoned pita and toasted Italian bread.  A great starter, too much for just two people but well worth it for the taste.

Dinner was a Market price ($19 very cheap for what they served) whole red snapper which was char grilled and perfectly seasoned and crisp with a very tender flesh. Absolutely perfect and without fault.  Dish came with choice of one side, I had broccoli rabe, it was good.  We also had a casserole of shrimp wrapped in eggplant slices in a tomato type sauce. Once again a sublime dish.  Jen really loved it.

They forced a dessert on us. Pretty much light pillowy zeppoli's covered in honey syrup and cinnamon. WOW!

Met the owners Mark and Chris. Very nice guys. Mark's dad (a chef of many many years) is running the kitchen prep and recipes. making sure they do it right back there in the kitchen.

So what I'm saying here is please try it. Love it and pass it on to another lucky soul in need of a great meal.  Hopefully the food and service will stay at this level and we have a new and solid addition to the Astoria family of fine restaurants.  Let's support Ovelia, they certainly deserve the attention and patronage.

Stay tuned for some other insights from Jen.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Re: Ovelia: Great Greek food comes to Astoria
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:52:37 PM »

12/05/06
New Astoria Greek Spot Grinds Its Own Sausage

Did we mention that they have a liquor license?

Photo: Chris Giannakas

Friday marked the soft opening of Ovelia, another traditional Greek restaurant in Astoria. (Thursday is the official launch.) There haven't been many major additions to the neighborhood's Greek scene in recently; Anna's Corner and Ploes are more than a year old. Typically enough, the emphasis at Ovelia is on dishes cooked on a charcoal grill or in a gas rotisserie. Intriguingly, the new restaurant makes its own sausage in-house, which should make a nice alternative to the grilled fish and doner kebab. And there's a full liquor license for those of you who'd also like a cocktail.
Ovelia, 3401 30th Ave., at 34th St., Astoria; 718-721-7217.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

bennyt

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 10:02:03 AM »
Sounds fantastic- may have to try it this weekend!  Thanks for the review. 
I have been a little underwhelmed by the Greek food in our nabe - Agnanti is the best I've had so far, Kyklades was good, but neither were fantastic  So I look forward to trying something new!

flooz

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »
i've been walking by that place for a couple of weeks trying to figure out just what exactly it was! Its the old Dacine space. i  thought it was a bar called Night* Day* or something like that. Its kinda weird looking on the outside but i do like the artwork on the inside. Now that you have spoken so highly of it, well hot dog i just have to go give it a try  :mrgreen:

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 11:18:58 AM »
Stay tuned for some other insights from Jen.

Insights:
The food was awesome
The service was great
The music was in the background and good
The waiter was the hottest I've seen since Daniel left Cafe Bar

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 11:22:48 AM »
Do we have a picture of this hot waiter?

flooz

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 11:29:30 AM »
does he have dark hair in a ponytail? i spyed someone from the outside last night....  :wink:

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
Do we have a picture of this hot waiter?

The voice is part of the package.  A picture won't do justice.

does he have dark hair in a ponytail? i spyed someone from the outside last night....  :wink:

He had it in a .... bun.... last night.  Not the hottest hot man hairdo... (bald is the HOTTEST hot man hairdo) but you may have spied the right man.

flooz

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:22:04 PM »

He had it in a .... bun.... last night.  Not the hottest hot man hairdo... (bald is the HOTTEST hot man hairdo) but you may have spied the right man.

yes, my "hot man radar" went off as i crossed the street last night....

agreed on the other  :wink:

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 07:00:06 PM »
And - Ovelia is buying their fish locally from Marino and Sons.

Yeah for neighbors supporting neighbors!!!

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 09:14:24 PM »
It says "Psistaria" on one of the windows, which means "Grillhouse" in greek. At first I was concerned that they were opening another open air coffee/bar places. But this place looks nice, and the cuisine seems promising, definitely going to try it out soon.

All the decent greek restaurants in the area are gone (Karyatis on Broadway was the best), which is strange for such a heavy greek populated neighborhood. Don't greeks eat out anymore?  :-D

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 04:05:26 AM »
It says "Psistaria" on one of the windows, which means "Grillhouse" in greek. At first I was concerned that they were opening another open air coffee/bar places. But this place looks nice, and the cuisine seems promising, definitely going to try it out soon.

All the decent greek restaurants in the area are gone (Karyatis on Broadway was the best), which is strange for such a heavy greek populated neighborhood. Don't greeks eat out anymore?  :-D

It seems the older families sold the restaurants and moved away while the kids are opening all the new cafes.  It's a shame.

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 09:08:52 AM »
It's like the way Little Italy went.  Italians moved out, but still kept coming back for the food.  Over time, as the person behind the plate was more often [INSERT ETHNICITY HERE] rather than Italian, restaurants didn't have to go through the expense to furnish an authentic product.  Now it's a tourist trap.  Why ought the Greek restaurants offer up the real deal if the yuppies are willing to pay twice as much for a crappier product?

Greeks have been hemmoraging out to the burbs for a decade or so.  Someday, while sitting in that Suffolk county split level ranch, they'll wax nostalgically to their children about their haylcon days in Astoria.  But that's a rant of a different color  :-D

I still think Kyklades has a great snapper.  Get it with a proper side of Horta and a bottle of Heinekin on a summer's evening and life is good.  But I'll give Ovelia a try.
Molwv Labe

Offline lizluv43

• Governor
    • Myspace page
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 11:08:54 AM »
Will they just serve the hot waiter?  I'll take that.......... :evil:  If he's Greek, can't get more authentic then that (including the homemade sausage  :lol:)
I am immature by choice, I found that being mature was quite dreary. That's why I come to Astorians.com where every hour is Happy Hour!

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 11:16:14 AM »
Will they just serve the hot waiter?  I'll take that.......... :evil:  If he's Greek, can't get more authentic then that (including the homemade sausage  :lol:)

Telly finds your sexual innuendo priceless.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 11:16:14 AM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life