relax

Author Topic: New condo's on Ditmars and 45th  (Read 5524 times)

Offline daisy

• President
Re: New condo's on Ditmars and 45th
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 01:01:36 PM »
I'm willing to bet there are a lot of us who can barely be able to afford to buy something under $300 thousand.  Finding a 2BR condo/coop or a whole house for under 300 is mostly impossible here, and then when you add in the maintenance especially from a coop, you're paying through the roof.  I'm single yet will have to wait til I'm married or change careers in order to afford to buy around here.  The idea of buying a $500 thousand Matthew old tenement flat is completely out of my reach and therefore laughable.  It's anything but affordable.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »
hit it right on the nail daisy.
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 08:24:13 AM »
I could have looked in Jackson Heights or Forest Hills, where there are literally hundreds of coops and condos, but I wanted to stay in Astoria, and that was what I had to choose from.

Huh?

Well, move to a community that ALREADY has the character that you want ... its a lot easier than trying to change a community's character into something YOU want. Even in a place with rabid prodevelopment leadership like Astoria will take years to get moving in the direction you want.

You could move into a coop in Jackson Heights next month.

If I like a back yard and trees, and lived, for example, in Washington Heights, would I say I've been to Bayside and Little Neck and seen lots of places with a back yard and trees, but I like Washington Heights and want to stay there?

Most people decide on a community profile they like, then goes out and finds a community that offers it.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 08:57:16 AM »
A community's character is more than its buildings. 

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 09:00:51 AM »
Most people decide on a community profile they like, then goes out and finds a community that offers it.

I'd have to disagree with this statement.  It sort of depends on who we are discussing.

A younger person/couple/roommies looking for affordable housing will move almost anywhere within range of Manhattan, they are just hoping to barely afford an apartment in an area where it's at least sort of safe and within a 30 minute commute by subway to work.  Everything else is a bonus.

Someone looking at neighborhoods to buy into and live there is another story and more along the line s of what you mentioned previously.

Someone who has rented here and is now looking to buy in the same neighborhood has a whole bunch of other wishes to contend with.

The last category would include us.  Ive rented here 13yrs and my wife 4yrs.  We love it here and want to stay here. Yes there are things we would love to see change for the better and much we would like to see remain as it is.  What we can afford is another matter.  It looks like a condo or coop is all we can afford right now and I bet that goes for many in the same position.  Would we like to see more affordable condo or coop housing being built? YES!  But its all so expensive now. If we want to stay here it may not be in the most desired section or nicest home but that may have to be ok with us. 

We love the old village community charm or Astoria, the location and the cultural diversity.  We do not love all the hideous poor planned architecture that permeates Queens. Yes there are lovely buildings here but any one who denies the ugly factor around here is delusional.  The garbage, graffiti, ugly signage all could change for the better.  Honestly in the day to day, I dont really see it all that much because I love it here.

Now nothing I said here is reason to look elsewhere. In fact this should be the type of person you old timers would be pleased to have join in the community.  Some new blood, employed, interested in the community, family oriented (some of us).

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 09:06:01 AM »
Well, move to a community that ALREADY has the character that you want ... its a lot easier than trying to change a community's character into something YOU want. Even in a place with rabid prodevelopment leadership like Astoria will take years to get moving in the direction you want.

Anzubird did move in to a community she liked.  She moved (or rather stayed in Astoria).

I am beginning to wonder though who IS allowed/invited/welcome to live in Astoria? 

These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 10:17:30 AM »
About a year and a half ago, I did look in Western Queens, from Jackson Hts to Astoria, Westchester, Dutchess, Putnam counties, and Jersey.  Finding a 2BR condo that isn't 400 thousand or higher is extremely hard.  More doable in Jersey, but I decided I wasn't ready to move to Jersey.  Upstate you have to add in car, insurance fees, and metronorth.  Yes, there are coops in Queens but 2 BRs are still expensive plus there's the higher maintenance - which drives your cost up.  Then there's the board to deal with, and the fact that you don't directly own it.  Your neighbors know all your financial and in some cases personal business, and you have to ask their permission for everything.  I'd rather have a condo or a house.

I love Astoria but I'm not tied here.  The simple fact is the high cost is everywhere I look within the vicinity of an hour and a half of Manhattan.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 10:47:58 AM »
I am beginning to wonder though who IS allowed/invited/welcome to live in Astoria? 

This is an excellent question and I think hits a deeper aspect of the overdevelopment debate. 

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 12:06:52 PM »
are there any open houses scheduled for these condos yet?
---i should be working, oh well---

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life