relax

Author Topic: New condo's on Ditmars and 45th  (Read 5522 times)

SmileyDevil

New condo's on Ditmars and 45th
« on: November 24, 2006, 02:10:52 PM »
Does anyone know when they are opening? Anything about them at all? I can't wait for an open house to view them.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
Re: New condo's on Ditmars and 45th
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 11:25:46 AM »
i think there was some discussion about this building a few months back... i guess some people were discussing that it was built cheaply? well, i wouldnt know, so it's all heresay to me.

i'm also curious about when we would be able to view these apartments because i love living here in the ditmars area and looking to purchase something in the near future... anyone else know about this building?
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
My experience renting from the owner's other buildings in Astoria was so bad, I don't think it would be wise of me to purchase an apartment from him.  He has such a bad rep that there are realtors in the area who refuse to even work with him, lest it reflect badly on him. 

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 12:43:11 PM »
Daisy, I think this might be a set-up, perhaps in response to the beating up on the Eagle's 'nest' on Astoria park.

I mean really, look at his comments - does this sound like someone who is serious about parking most of their assets in a home: "I THINK  there was some discussion ... I GUESS some said it was built cheaply... I wouldn't know so its all heresay [sp] ... I am looking to purchase ... "

Well, take a look at the outside and tell us what you see? Please don't miss sharing with us your opinions and by all means cover issues as "Taste" and "Quality of constuction." 

Or is this a speculative venture and we should ask you how many people do you intend in putting into your 'space?'

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »
Gleason, all of your comments make me want to diagnose you with a DSM IV diagnosis, and it's not looking good. calm down. it's a little astoria forum board.

for your information i'm a female. and go to this forum to read information on things going on in the community. i'm just a little s___ who just moved here 3 years ago, and would so badly like to move out of my cramped basement apartment once i have enough funds.

this is not a set up. this is a post from a genuinely interested resident of astoria who would like to purchase something in the same area. that is all. and as far as 'taste' of construction... those things do not really matter to me. i would like to live in a nice safe home. that is all. and i would like to be able to afford it. 'quality' of construction? i dont know about this either, i'm very new to all of this. that's why i'm looking to this forum for some more information. 

and i do remember daisy saying the same thing about this building in another post, i just could not remember who stated it and if it indeed was about this building that we are talking about in this post. 

now, astorians, please go ahead and post up your truthful experiences about this building. thanks for your post daisy.  i really like that area of the neighborhood, i think it's quite convenient. i would like to hear from other people tho. and i would like to view the apartments.

Daisy, I think this might be a set-up, perhaps in response to the beating up on the Eagle's 'nest' on Astoria park.

I mean really, look at his comments - does this sound like someone who is serious about parking most of their assets in a home: "I THINK  there was some discussion ... I GUESS some said it was built cheaply... I wouldn't know so its all heresay [sp] ... I am looking to purchase ... "

Well, take a look at the outside and tell us what you see? Please don't miss sharing with us your opinions and by all means cover issues as "Taste" and "Quality of constuction." 

Or is this a speculative venture and we should ask you how many people do you intend in putting into your 'space?'

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 02:19:26 PM »
Your welcome for the comments.  I would like to hear from more people with experiences with this building too.  Typing in "Pistilli" does produce alot of results on this board - this is one about the blg - http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=2538.0, but there are others.  Most isn't great.  It's definitely over a 10 minute walk to the train but that might not be an issue for everyone.  My number one complaint about condos in the area is that they are far from the train, and the rest that aren't - are coops, not condos.  Number two is cost.

mrferrisbueler

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 03:11:01 PM »

:| WHAT??  :|

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 03:26:48 PM »
Gleason, is it really so bad that people want to buy so that they can stay here and start a family without constantly throwing their money out on rent?

Maybe what we really need is to encourage developers to build affordable coops and condos (and personally I am in favor of coops which encourage the owners to live in their apartments and not just rent them out) rather than high turnover rentals.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 05:46:43 PM »
No absolutely not! Owner occupied housing is always better than an absentee landlord. And I am certainly happy that you want to stay here and invest and LIVE in Astoria. :mrgreen:

There are scores of buildings that you can buy that are already here. There is wide agreement that the prewar ones have the best layout and design, especially compared to what is being built recently. The new construction is for the most part, ill-designed.

The old factory on Ditmars? People more knowledgable than I have commented on their owner and the quality of their construction, so I will say nothing on those points. I assume you have read those posts.

Ramping up the population is not a good idea if you do not have the infrastructure to support it. Do you want your kids to go to school in a trailer in a playground? Raise a family in an area that even the boro president said had inadequate medical facilities? etc, etc etc.

Besides, I would not be so cavalier to ignore the little fact that the ENTIRE CITY is trying to stop development. Astoria is almost alone in this manic drive to build. What do we know that everyone else is missing? Or perhaps, just perhaps, we are not getting the full picture?   :|

The 'affordable' part is a bit a cynical - a sad play by the prodevelopment crowd. After you factor in all the infrastructure costs the housing is not very affordable. Now on the other hand, if they brought in good paying jobs and lowered taxes, then housing would be affordable for millions in our city, not just a few hundred lower end units built each year ... but real effort is always more difficult than simple minded sloganeering.

Besides, its always a howl when you look at the fine print and find out what they mean by 'affordable.' Even in Queens, newspaper headlines have covered that issue!

If you want high density, then there are many good high density neighborhoods in NYC and you should feel free to look in those places that already have the high-density infrastructure in place.

The point is that Astorians like the feel of a small community. Making Astoria high density would kill the goose that lays the golden egg. It would not be Astoria.

I appreciate your question, and would like a lot more people to comment. This board is an excellent place for discussion.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 05:59:31 PM by Gleason »

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 06:47:04 PM »
No absolutely not! Owner occupied housing is always better than an absentee landlord. And I am certainly happy that you want to stay here and invest and LIVE in Astoria. :mrgreen:

There are scores of buildings that you can buy that are already here. There is wide agreement that the prewar ones have the best layout and design, especially compared to what is being built recently. The new construction is for the most part, ill-designed.

um... the whole point of wanting to own a co op or condo is that they are siginificantly different in price. a person with my income and my profession is NEVER EVER going to afford a gorgeous pre war house!!!

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 07:34:44 PM »

Unfortunately, if you don't count the new developments, there really aren't that many buildings you can buy into in Astoria. there are plenty of houses, but apartments, especially nice ones, are few and far between- Just check the Real Estate section in tomorrow's Times.

When I was looking to buy a few years ago I counted a total of 8 buidings you could buy into, two of which were cookie-cutter boxlike modern constructions with plenty of amenities but no character; four that looked like they had been built sometime in the 70's or 80's and had a little more character, but had not been kept up very well; and two beautiful prewar buildings, one of which had a grand total of 14 apartments.

I could have looked in Jackson Heights or Forest Hills, where there are literally hundreds of coops and condos, but I wanted to stay in Astoria, and that was what I had to choose from.

Unfortunately that is the choice that many of us who are looking to buy now are faced with- a tiny selection of not terribly appealing existing housing, or a spot in an ugly overpriced new construction. It's not a pretty picture. Which is why we are always hoping for something nicer.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic if more building owners decided to sell out and let their buildings go coop, but that is something that is certainly not likely to happen in this market.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 08:08:59 PM »
You both raise some telling good points.

Sometimes you might have to be creative.

For example, if you bought a prewar six family, like one of the 'Mathews Flats' (there are dozens and dozens of these and they are cheap), moved into one unit on the top floor, then one by one took over the other units, you could have a duplex (with what was formerly 4 units with 20 rooms) and lay out the footprint that makes sense for your family.

The two bottom units could provide cash flow to cover the property expenses.
Check out #44:
http://nymag.com/nymetro/realestate/neighborhoods/features/12195/index3.html

I know at least two young families that did something like that in Ridgewood and are pleased as punch.

You can look at Old Astoria and find a number of very very old homes. Again, I know one young couple that moved from the Village and are extremely happy. They may be pioneers, but they got a lot more for the money than anything in Brooklyn of comp. size.

These are two examples.

You are telling me that all those homes on 36th Ave to Broadway and east of Crescent are out of reach? I have been in some of those two story places and they are perfect for young families.

Offline TheRoseNY

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 08:46:25 PM »
Pistilli also has the co-ops on the park (former eagle electric factory)  We went to see them a couple of weeks ago and were VERY disappointed.  They had the potential to be really nice, the spaces are large and airy with big windows and (on the park side) great views - however - we couldn't believe how cheaply they were fitted out.  The cheapest ugliest laminate flooring, miniscule kitchen areas (couldn't even be described as a kitchen), cheap, crappy appliances, cheap crappy looking formica coutertops and cabinets - I could go on!  Also, the maintenance is a dollar per sq. ft.  and they don't own the land so they will probably whack on a huge assessment in a couple of years in order to finance the mortgage on the land - NOT WORTH IT!!!  It sucks really because this building could have been fantastic for Astoria - never mind!

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 10:03:14 PM »
For example, if you bought a prewar six family, like one of the 'Mathews Flats' (there are dozens and dozens of these and they are cheap), moved into one unit on the top floor, then one by one took over the other units, you could have a duplex (with what was formerly 4 units with 20 rooms) and lay out the footprint that makes sense for your family.

The two bottom units could provide cash flow to cover the property expenses.
Check out #44:
http://nymag.com/nymetro/realestate/neighborhoods/features/12195/index3.html

I know at least two young families that did something like that in Ridgewood and are pleased as punch.

You can look at Old Astoria and find a number of very very old homes. Again, I know one young couple that moved from the Village and are extremely happy. They may be pioneers, but they got a lot more for the money than anything in Brooklyn of comp. size.

These are two examples.

You are telling me that all those homes on 36th Ave to Broadway and east of Crescent are out of reach? I have been in some of those two story places and they are perfect for young families.

Sure, but let's say I am not a young family but a single person who has lived in an apartment all her life and does not feel the least bit prepared to take on the expense or hassle of owning a house, not to mention of being a landlord...(and let's admit it, the expense of owning a house, especially a prewar house, is much greater than that of owning an apartment).

Cost aside, there are many good reasons that someone might prefer to live in an apartment rather than a house, especially if they are just starting out.

But that does bring us back to one of your other points- apartments do imply high density, and many (but not all) parts of Astoria are low-density neighborhoods, whichs why it would be really nice to see some of the older buildings converted to coops rather than new construction in less than ideal locations. But that is just a dream for now.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 12:22:32 PM »
i completely agree with your last post anuzbird. thank you.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life