relax

Poll

Please Rate Your Overall Satisfaction With the Woosley Station Post Office:

Extremely Satisfied
Somewhat Satisfied
Neutral
Somewhat Dissatisfied
Extremely Dissatisfied

Author Topic: Astoria NY Post Office  (Read 9537 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Astoria NY Post Office
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 12:05:45 PM »
Eh, maybe.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 12:14:17 PM »
Every post office I've ever been ti in Manhattan sucks as much if not more than Astoria.  And I've been to a lot in Manhattan.  Your theory is bunk, Mr. thread hijacker.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »
(yawn) Beg to differ old boy, when it comes to services, Astoria can be in a unique class by itself ... as we found out last summer, eh? Hell, I've been to postal facilities in the south Bronx that would put service in this community to shame.

Telling points are raised as to the cause (and solution), but (as usual) unaddressed.

If want to personally attack me, go ahead.  :ticked: It will not change the community's problem with the post office but it WILL make you feel better.  :roll: Doesn't bother me!

But if the point of this thread is to discuss the horrible postal service in Astoria, then you might have to stand up before the RIGHT people, and demand better services. Until that happens ... you are all just going to stand in (longer and longer) lines. You wouldn't catch me there. As I said before, I would not go near one of these local facilities.

So who do are you really hurting  :? ?

I am through with this topic. Happy turkey day to all my friends on this board.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »
Certain post offices suck no matter where they are.  And the ones in Astoria do, especially at Ditmars.  I go to certain ones in Manhattan that I know, do not suck, especially at certain days and times.  Unfortunately the one in Astoria sucks all the time....

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »
I've done ok with the post offices here around Bway. never been to the one on Ditmars. I have the advantage of having 2 within walking distance, so if the line at one looks terrible, I will usually walk over to the other.

In general I have found the employees at the Bway office (and 21st St) extremely courteous and professional... and patient in dealing with everything from little old ladies with the wrong postage to people who speak no english trying to send packages to foreign countries without any of the proper information.

As for UPS, I tried the trick where you call them and schedule delivery for a time when you are home... they brought the package the next day anyway (when I was not home) and just left it in front of the door... oh well.

Ditmartian

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 02:47:10 PM »
I don't quite understand the procedures for picking up packages there, as opposed to sending them. The few times I've had to pick up something, once or twice someone would tell me to go to the window at the far right. Wheher there was a postal person behind the window was another matter, but I would feel a litle bad because there was usually 20 people waiting. I dont' see a sign that says "pick ups only" or somesuch.

If you're picking up only, is there some sort of expedited line? :|

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 03:31:58 PM »
I've lived in a lot of places in this country, and I've found that the Post Office kind of sucks everywhere!  :lol:

I'd disagree. In general I've found that most of them are pretty reasonable. At the post office in the small town where I grew up they had at least 2 people working at any given time and there was seldom more than 4 people in line. Even in the bigger Manhattan post offices they handle the traffic a lot better than our post office does IMHO.

Not sure what it is (no, I don't think it's overdevelopment that's to blame) that makes our post office so incompetent (as a system - not individuals, I know some really nice folks that work there).

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 11:45:21 AM »
Great. Just discovered that the Woosely Station post office lost a check in the mail I sent to another person with a PO Box in the Woosely Station! And it's only Tuesday and I'm sending 3 pieces of mail back already that are addressed to someone else.  :x

Kinda interesting how the poll is going.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 08:40:17 AM »
(merm, I like your work on this board, so please do not take this satire personally)

Not sure what it is (no, I don't think it's overdevelopment that's to blame) that makes our post office so incompetent

2006 BC
We are playthings of the gods: there is nothing we can do about it. Let us go home and silently suffer because this is the ways of the mysterious cosmos.

2006 AD
Government is to serve us, we must publicly demand a certain level of service. They who are in charge (our public SERVANTS) must jump at our whim and scramble to find out what they think the problem is, but more importantly, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!

They are served notice that the public will hold them accountable!!

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 11:38:37 AM »
Luckily I work next to Grand Central Post Office in Manhattan so I go there for most matters, but sometimes I have to pick up non-delivered package on the Steinway Station on 42nd & Broadway. The lines are always long, and they are very disorganized. They lost 2 packages for me in the span of a year, and my only recourse was to file a consumer compaint. Even the supervisor at the PO sadmitted their carriers weren't fillling out the non-delivery notification fomrs properly, and that's how some items will get lost, but it was out of his control. I actually had express mail packages left on my doorstep several times that were not for me, I personally hand delivered them to the correct recipients myself.

That's why I try to use UPS when I can.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 11:43:57 AM »
Yesterday I went to buy holiday stamps at the Woolsey Station PO and they had none.  Actually, there were a bunch of them in the office, just locked in the safe where none of the PO people to could access them.  Seems their manager - the only one with the key - left for the day before releasing any of the stamps.  Lame-o.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 11:48:41 AM »
I hope they at least had a sign saying there were no stamps, and that you didn't wait on line for a half hour to find out.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 12:11:35 PM »
Well, I had to wait to mail a package (non-holiday related contents).  While in line, I overheard one of the clerks say "no more holiday stamps today".  I prepared my questions for the clerk I'd eventually get while standing in line.  It was annoying, for sure.  But it sucked worse for them!

Ditmartian

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 12:09:24 AM »
Yesterday I went to buy holiday stamps at the Woolsey Station PO and they had none.

Are those different from regular stamps? The reason I ask is that I was just in CVS earlier and saw a notice on t counter that said CVS sold stamps. I think it even said something about no longer having to wait at th e Post Office. Right on the money.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 07:53:50 AM »
They have a different design than the regular stamps.  I like the snowflakes.  There are more religious images, too.   That's great about CVS!  I thought they charged a fee, though.

Oh, how I miss being able to get stamps at the ATM.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life