relax

Poll

Please Rate Your Overall Satisfaction With the Woosley Station Post Office:

Extremely Satisfied
Somewhat Satisfied
Neutral
Somewhat Dissatisfied
Extremely Dissatisfied

Author Topic: Astoria NY Post Office  (Read 9539 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Astoria NY Post Office
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:24:20 PM »
I'm curious to know what people think of our local post office here. Personally, in all the places I've lived in the United States I don't think I've ever experienced so many problems with the local post office. Some of my main complaints are:

1. Extremely long lines. Yesterday I counted more than 30 people in line, and there were only 3 people working the windows helping customers. It took me a half hour to get to the front of the line to pick up a package. There are towns that are 1/10th our size that have 3 workers at the window - what gives?
2. Poor sorting. I'm getting other people's mail almost every day. I can only imagine how much of my mail is going to other people in town.
3. Package deliveries. Everywhere else in the country you get 3 notices that a package delivery was attempted. Here you get one, they don't try and "redeliver" (despite the fact it says they will redeliver on the slip they leave at the door), and the slip sometimes comes a day or two after the delivery attempt.

I'm a pretty "smart" USPS customer; I do all my shipping online, I buy stamps from the machine or online, but sometimes you just have to go in there for some reason and talk to a real person - like to pick up a package. Every time I go in there it's a huge deal that takes almost an hour of my time (by the time you factor in the walk to the PO) - I think that's a bit over the top.

Anyone else have thought about our USPS?

BigBryan

Re: Astoria NY Post Office
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 03:42:52 PM »
You should have seen the old one that was blown up literally by rumour has it either some yugoslavian faction or the greek mafia. It was the pits and was on the corner by the Deli next to Grace Lutheran and a Carvel.

For the next couple of years we had none and were serviced through adjacent Post Office stations and all services including deliveries were dreadful.

Finally after the Ditmars Movie theatre closed down and a renovated club/resteraunt didn't make it - we finally got our new modern Post Office.

Isn't it wonderful ? I guess my vote is somewhat dissapointed - your definitly right about the lines and the efficiency of their service there.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »
How long ago was this?

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »
I'm with merm here - I really hate our post office.  I haven't had too many problems with things going astray, although I've both hand-delivered and hand-received mail to/from neighbours that was mis-delivered.  My biggest complaints are points 1 and 3 -- I've waited up to 45 minutes to get a package, and my experiences with their package delivery procedures drive me crazy.  I wish they would have a separate package pick-up window.  I think that would speed things along considerably.

Then again, alternative package deliveries aren't much better when no one is home during the day.  UPS and FedEx drive me crazy, although I think for a fee ($4?) you can have UPS packages rerouted to the UPS store on Ditmars.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:03:25 PM »
I'm curious to know what people think of our local post office here.

Yeah, it's pretty slow and the lines are long. They seem understaffed. The people seem relatively competent, though. I haven't had problems with package deliveries failing, and I appreciate that it's much easier to pick them up locally than if you get sent something via UPS or FedEx and have to figure out how to get to freakin' Maspeth. Also, the new automatic machines are relatively nice and fast, and most people seem to be intimidated by them so there's rarely a line. I do wish there was more than one automatic machine, though, as sometimes you do find yourself standing in line behind someone who isn't intimidated by the technology but really ought to be. :roll: Overall, I can't say I'm satisfied, but it could be rather worse...

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 04:05:44 PM »
Then again, alternative package deliveries aren't much better when no one is home during the day.  UPS and FedEx drive me crazy, although I think for a fee ($4?) you can have UPS packages rerouted to the UPS store on Ditmars.

I talked to a UPS person recently who said that this was bogus, and that you couldn't do that because UPS Stores are franchises. Previously I had talked to a UPS person who said you could do it for $5. I don't know who to believe.

The only good reason I've yet heard to have a doorman... (Or shut-in elderly neighbors who will accept packages for you.)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »
I wish they would have a separate package pick-up window.  I think that would speed things along considerably.

Other than recommending that they need more staff manning the windows (which they clearly do), I think this is the #1 thing they could do to speed up the post office lines for most of us.

My favorite is when all the customers in the line start revolting. Yelling at them inside to put more people on the window - for the record it usually works. They move someone to the window until the crowd is pacified and then drop back to the normal slow-motion mode.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 06:54:47 PM »
I wish all the post offices were equipped with the self-service machines so that you wouldn't have to stand in line to send an overnight letter or a package. You could just press on the computer screen what you need, weight the postal item, pay the postage and drop the parcel in the mail ... without any assistance from the postal clerk
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 07:03:07 PM »
My big pet peeve is half the time the self-service machine isn't working so you have to stand in line anyway.  Then you get up to the window after an hour only to find out they're out of stamps or the special envelope you need to send it in.  People on the line complain all the time, it's always an annoying experience for everyone, and makes me wonder if it's the customers who should be known for shooting up the place rather than a disgruntled employee.

Other post offices have separate lines for purchasing envelopes and stamps and picking up packages.  I only go to the Astoria post office if I have a package to pick up, but if I can - I have these sent to my job, which is much much much more reliable.....

JustDesserts

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 07:19:40 PM »
If I miss a UPS package, I usually call the 800 number left on the sticky note to reschedule delivery.  It's great! 

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 09:52:52 PM »
My favorite is when all the customers in the line start revolting. Yelling at them inside to put more people on the window - for the record it usually works. They move someone to the window until the crowd is pacified and then drop back to the normal slow-motion mode.

Did I post this here?  I'll post the text (again):

Today I had to send a pile of documents to [un-named government department] to stave off the State from wreacking havoc upon me (aka robbery), and that involved standing in the l-o-o-o-n-g line at the Post Office. My mind was more on going over my documents rather than being annoyed by the line (well, I was a baby bit annoyed - it's the Post Office!). However, one cranky lady was NOT happy with the way the line was moving, and took it upon herself to let us all know, by screaming "OPEN ANOTHER WINDOW!!!" A little bit of time went on, and she repeated her screeching, "OPEN ANOTHER WINDOW!!!" Shortly after that, they opened another window! Surpise. She was the next person in line and when the bell went "ding" to notify the new open window she walked over and immediately said "This is terrible! All these people in line...!"

And then proceeded to ask, sweetly, "Do you have the LOVE stamps?"

Gave me a good chuckle.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 10:00:21 AM »
As new people move into the community, there will be naturally more mail and packages. Personally, I avoid Astoria postal facilities like the plague

And yes, I hate to say this, but as there is more development (I just ducked) the infrastructure (schools, trains, hospitals, etc. etc.) will always lag - another example of poor haphazard planning. Expect that lines at the post office will simply get longer and longer each year.

It is, on second thought, an insidiously clever system because it actually makes us want to gladly pay more taxes (and not think that we are supporting someone's (a campaign donor?) money making venture) to make a problem (in this example, an inadequate postal facility) go away.

If we knew the true cost of these ‘development’ proposals in OUR pocketbooks and OUR time we would not be so quick to acquiesce to them. These are the hidden costs that more than offset any benefits as they cynically wave that bloody shirt ‘affordable’ before our eyes.

We should insist that a complete community impact assessment be made every time we are presented with a glowing architectural rendering. (Hey what about having the Board of Ed sign off on a project only if there are seats for kids, but again, how many kids make campaign donations?)

That being said, go down to the bulk mail post office a few blocks south of Queens Plaza. Go to the front postal station across from the Tom Cat Bakery. Never a line!!!!

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 11:22:04 AM »
As new people move into the community, there will be naturally more mail and packages.

Of course! It's all so simple to me now. It's over-development that causes the long lines at the post office! :roll:

Why didn't I think of that...

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 11:35:22 AM »
I've lived in a lot of places in this country, and I've found that the Post Office kind of sucks everywhere!  :lol:

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 11:37:45 AM »
Holiday pop quiz!!! Get your pencils!

1. When was the last post office in Astoria planned?
2. What was the population of Astoria (way back) then?
3. What is the population of Astoria today?

I know, the last one is unfair, its trick question. NO ONE knows that!

oh, and megc, go to most of the PO in Manhattan: Yorkville, Farley, et al. Higher population, a hell of a lot more mail, but much much faster lines. It was PLANNED to be that way! Manhattan people, rather then being passive bystanders, have developed the nasty habit of actually going their their community boards and elected officials and DEMANDING services at a certain level!

Amazing, isn't it? So guys, how about going beyond talking and doing something about it cause it ain't gonna change unless you do.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:47:58 AM by Gleason »

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 12:05:45 PM »
Eh, maybe.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 12:14:17 PM »
Every post office I've ever been ti in Manhattan sucks as much if not more than Astoria.  And I've been to a lot in Manhattan.  Your theory is bunk, Mr. thread hijacker.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »
(yawn) Beg to differ old boy, when it comes to services, Astoria can be in a unique class by itself ... as we found out last summer, eh? Hell, I've been to postal facilities in the south Bronx that would put service in this community to shame.

Telling points are raised as to the cause (and solution), but (as usual) unaddressed.

If want to personally attack me, go ahead.  :ticked: It will not change the community's problem with the post office but it WILL make you feel better.  :roll: Doesn't bother me!

But if the point of this thread is to discuss the horrible postal service in Astoria, then you might have to stand up before the RIGHT people, and demand better services. Until that happens ... you are all just going to stand in (longer and longer) lines. You wouldn't catch me there. As I said before, I would not go near one of these local facilities.

So who do are you really hurting  :? ?

I am through with this topic. Happy turkey day to all my friends on this board.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 01:34:55 PM »
Certain post offices suck no matter where they are.  And the ones in Astoria do, especially at Ditmars.  I go to certain ones in Manhattan that I know, do not suck, especially at certain days and times.  Unfortunately the one in Astoria sucks all the time....

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »
I've done ok with the post offices here around Bway. never been to the one on Ditmars. I have the advantage of having 2 within walking distance, so if the line at one looks terrible, I will usually walk over to the other.

In general I have found the employees at the Bway office (and 21st St) extremely courteous and professional... and patient in dealing with everything from little old ladies with the wrong postage to people who speak no english trying to send packages to foreign countries without any of the proper information.

As for UPS, I tried the trick where you call them and schedule delivery for a time when you are home... they brought the package the next day anyway (when I was not home) and just left it in front of the door... oh well.

Ditmartian

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 02:47:10 PM »
I don't quite understand the procedures for picking up packages there, as opposed to sending them. The few times I've had to pick up something, once or twice someone would tell me to go to the window at the far right. Wheher there was a postal person behind the window was another matter, but I would feel a litle bad because there was usually 20 people waiting. I dont' see a sign that says "pick ups only" or somesuch.

If you're picking up only, is there some sort of expedited line? :|

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 03:31:58 PM »
I've lived in a lot of places in this country, and I've found that the Post Office kind of sucks everywhere!  :lol:

I'd disagree. In general I've found that most of them are pretty reasonable. At the post office in the small town where I grew up they had at least 2 people working at any given time and there was seldom more than 4 people in line. Even in the bigger Manhattan post offices they handle the traffic a lot better than our post office does IMHO.

Not sure what it is (no, I don't think it's overdevelopment that's to blame) that makes our post office so incompetent (as a system - not individuals, I know some really nice folks that work there).

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 11:45:21 AM »
Great. Just discovered that the Woosely Station post office lost a check in the mail I sent to another person with a PO Box in the Woosely Station! And it's only Tuesday and I'm sending 3 pieces of mail back already that are addressed to someone else.  :x

Kinda interesting how the poll is going.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 08:40:17 AM »
(merm, I like your work on this board, so please do not take this satire personally)

Not sure what it is (no, I don't think it's overdevelopment that's to blame) that makes our post office so incompetent

2006 BC
We are playthings of the gods: there is nothing we can do about it. Let us go home and silently suffer because this is the ways of the mysterious cosmos.

2006 AD
Government is to serve us, we must publicly demand a certain level of service. They who are in charge (our public SERVANTS) must jump at our whim and scramble to find out what they think the problem is, but more importantly, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!

They are served notice that the public will hold them accountable!!

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 11:38:37 AM »
Luckily I work next to Grand Central Post Office in Manhattan so I go there for most matters, but sometimes I have to pick up non-delivered package on the Steinway Station on 42nd & Broadway. The lines are always long, and they are very disorganized. They lost 2 packages for me in the span of a year, and my only recourse was to file a consumer compaint. Even the supervisor at the PO sadmitted their carriers weren't fillling out the non-delivery notification fomrs properly, and that's how some items will get lost, but it was out of his control. I actually had express mail packages left on my doorstep several times that were not for me, I personally hand delivered them to the correct recipients myself.

That's why I try to use UPS when I can.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 11:43:57 AM »
Yesterday I went to buy holiday stamps at the Woolsey Station PO and they had none.  Actually, there were a bunch of them in the office, just locked in the safe where none of the PO people to could access them.  Seems their manager - the only one with the key - left for the day before releasing any of the stamps.  Lame-o.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 11:48:41 AM »
I hope they at least had a sign saying there were no stamps, and that you didn't wait on line for a half hour to find out.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 12:11:35 PM »
Well, I had to wait to mail a package (non-holiday related contents).  While in line, I overheard one of the clerks say "no more holiday stamps today".  I prepared my questions for the clerk I'd eventually get while standing in line.  It was annoying, for sure.  But it sucked worse for them!

Ditmartian

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 12:09:24 AM »
Yesterday I went to buy holiday stamps at the Woolsey Station PO and they had none.

Are those different from regular stamps? The reason I ask is that I was just in CVS earlier and saw a notice on t counter that said CVS sold stamps. I think it even said something about no longer having to wait at th e Post Office. Right on the money.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 07:53:50 AM »
They have a different design than the regular stamps.  I like the snowflakes.  There are more religious images, too.   That's great about CVS!  I thought they charged a fee, though.

Oh, how I miss being able to get stamps at the ATM.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »
I miss being able to buy stamps at ATMs (I got all of my stamps that way), but Greenpoint no longer does that.  I wonder why other banks haven't tried it - I used their ATM all the time when they had stamps.

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 02:55:51 PM »
I always order my stamps online at www.usps.com - they always have every design in stock, and they only charge a dollar for shipping - well worth it not to have to wait in line at the Post Office. I usually get them within a day or two as well.

I'm not the biggest fan of our Post Office because of the lines, but I've never had a real problem with them (lost packages, etc.) Thankfully I have a non-traditional schedule, so I can go at off times (which are still kind of crowded, but better).
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Ditmartian

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 04:53:18 PM »
That's great about CVS!  I thought they charged a fee, though.

I don't know. It's likely since they'll want tomake some money on it. The only time I bought stamps from someone besides a Post Offce was at that stationery store on the same block. It did cost me a little bit more. I want to say $4 for a book of 10 37-cent stamps,  but I really dont remember.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »
Has anyone ever had problems with mail not being forwarded after submitting a change of address form?  Apparently my old neighbor has received a bunch of mail addressed to me at my old place, and he brilliantly decided to trash it all.  So, I have no idea if my mail was of a sensitive nature or not (I sure hope not). 

I have not received any mail for a few days now and I'm a little worried.  I did funnel that worry into a call to the USPS customer service center and a very nice woman helped me out and submitted a job to the investigative process to figure out what's going on with my mail.  I hope to hear what's up in a couple of days.  Of course, first I was directed by the robot phone tree to the local PO number (718-274-7396, in case you need it), and the postal worker at Woolsey Station was as surly and unpleasant as usual.  Ugh.

In any case, I hope they can figure out the problem.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 06:29:09 PM »
I always order my stamps online at www.usps.com - they always have every design in stock, and they only charge a dollar for shipping

Thanks for nothing! ;)  I didn't know that Post Office store existed!  I'd never seen the Alaskan Snowflake watches.  Now I want both, the blue AND the white! :)

Offline Mark

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »
3. Package deliveries. Everywhere else in the country you get 3 notices that a package delivery was attempted. Here you get one, they don't try and "redeliver" (despite the fact it says they will redeliver on the slip they leave at the door), and the slip sometimes comes a day or two after the delivery attempt.

I actually think they don't even try to deliver in the first place.  I think they just put the notice in the box.  Several times we have been home all day, only to discover that a notice is waiting in our mailbox. 

Offline Yaxpac

• Mayor
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 05:07:30 PM »
Has anyone ever had problems with mail not being forwarded after submitting a change of address form?  Apparently my old neighbor has received a bunch of mail addressed to me at my old place, and he brilliantly decided to trash it all.  So, I have no idea if my mail was of a sensitive nature or not (I sure hope not). 

I have not received any mail for a few days now and I'm a little worried.  I did funnel that worry into a call to the USPS customer service center and a very nice woman helped me out and submitted a job to the investigative process to figure out what's going on with my mail.  I hope to hear what's up in a couple of days.  Of course, first I was directed by the robot phone tree to the local PO number (718-274-7396, in case you need it), and the postal worker at Woolsey Station was as surly and unpleasant as usual.  Ugh.

In any case, I hope they can figure out the problem.

i moved recently and I have not received one single piece of forwarded mail.  I checked with my old roommate and same deal...nada.

we both got the confirmations of the forward request...still zero pieces forwarded. 

good luck...please let me know what happens if anything.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life