relax

Author Topic: Anyone visited Eagle Electric bldg?  (Read 8349 times)

flooz

Re: Anyone visited Eagle Electric bldg?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 09:48:50 AM »

... hatred and vitriol from the prodevelopment crowd. I guess unused to a dialogue, they rant.

:-o :-o :-o

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 10:35:12 AM »
I think you worry too much, Gleason.

Really Meg,  that comment was below the belt.  Such a harsh personal attack.  Perhaps you need to be moderated.   :lmao:
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline krocker

• Citizen
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »
Anyone know what school district the building is in?

It's in the district for PS 122 - which is highly ranked in the city.  It's a K-8th grade school and the middle school is actually a magnet school, which specializes in getting kids ready to take entrance tests to the top public high schools in the city. 

Offline krocker

• Citizen
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 01:48:12 PM »
Pistilli also has the co-ops on the park (former eagle electric factory)  We went to see them a couple of weeks ago and were VERY disappointed.  They had the potential to be really nice, the spaces are large and airy with big windows and (on the park side) great views - however - we couldn't believe how cheaply they were fitted out.  The cheapest ugliest laminate flooring, miniscule kitchen areas (couldn't even be described as a kitchen), cheap, crappy appliances, cheap crappy looking formica coutertops and cabinets - I could go on!  Also, the maintenance is a dollar per sq. ft.  and they don't own the land so they will probably whack on a huge assessment in a couple of years in order to finance the mortgage on the land - NOT WORTH IT!!!  It sucks really because this building could have been fantastic for Astoria - never mind!

here, let me help. this was posted elsewhere.

I will just say one thing on this quoted post - if the apartments were decked out with gorgeous hard wood floors and granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances - it would be thousands more in cost.  Just look at the other developments in LIC and what they're charging.  I, for one, could not afford that.  You can always change those things yourself over time and add value to your apartment - they are cosmetic.

Offline krocker

• Citizen
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 01:54:47 PM »
Krocker, don't mind Gleason.  He's the local troll of the board.  He'll always reply to eveyone's posts with some anti-development mumbojumbo.  It's best to ignore him, as he'll never actually answer a question posted directly at him.

Thanks for the info about the new building.  I, for one, found it helpful and insightful.

No problem - thanks for saying so.  If I buy there, I have a vested interest in talking the building up to people who would make good neighbors!  And I will ignore that dude's comments.  Most of the time I can't follow what on earth he's trying to say anyway.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
if you look at the eagles 'nest' with stars in your eyes your probibally wouldn't understand.

both others do

he he he he

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 03:38:59 PM »
I will just say one thing on this quoted post - if the apartments were decked out with gorgeous hard wood floors and granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances - it would be thousands more in cost.  Just look at the other developments in LIC and what they're charging.  I, for one, could not afford that.  You can always change those things yourself over time and add value to your apartment - they are cosmetic.
I am gonna take a risk here, but can adding these things really add value to a coop? Isn't it a matter of shares not the space accoutrement's that count in value? Also, I gotta tell you that I spent years hating my kitchen floor. It was cheap laminate crap that no matter how hard you scrubbed it, it never looked clean. The appliances were also such crap. An oven that I had to recalibrate every six months to get a cake to rise or a chicken to roast. Faucets on a kitchen sink that sprung leaks 3 times a year. Counter tops that absorbed everything that accidentally spilled on them. And I am in a rental. I got landlord's written permission to do over my own kitchen. And quite frankly, I spared no expense on the project. I plan on dropping dead in this place, so for me it was an investment in my comfort. If I had it to do all over again, I would like to move into a space that afforded me the luxury of easy clean-up in both the kitchen and the bathroom. Another room with I recently redid. One-handed faucets; glass shower doors; 3-way mirrored medicine cabinet; under sink shelf cabinets; over bowl shelf cabinets.

What I am saying is this: don't just buy something because it is affordable. Buy something you love, that has what you want already built in. Save your money a little longer to afford it—but just don't settle. While you are making plans for your future, life sometimes gets in your way. You may find yourself living in a space that you really hate for an awfully long time just because you were able to afford it.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 04:16:35 PM »
Just out of curiousity, what are the two bedrooms starting out at in this place?  If the onebedrooms start at $360 thousand?  And what's the maintenance?

Offline krocker

• Citizen
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 04:49:42 PM »
What I am saying is this: don't just buy something because it is affordable. Buy something you love, that has what you want already built in. Save your money a little longer to afford it—but just don't settle. While you are making plans for your future, life sometimes gets in your way. You may find yourself living in a space that you really hate for an awfully long time just because you were able to afford it.

Point taken.  I totally get what you're saying.  But the thing is, I don't hate the apartments.  Far from it.  They're huge, open spaces with great views, tons of storage space and the building's got a doorman, exercise rooms, lounges, laundry on every floor, etc.  I was just acknowledging that the units are not perfect.  But that's ok with me because being less than perfect makes them more affordable.  The apartment I've been renting for 7 years is far from perfect but I still love it and will be sad to leave it.  A perfect place that has everything I could ever ask for is unrealistic.  It would cost a fortune.  But IMO the units have a lot going for them and yes, they will be more valuable if you add a room to them and upgrade the floors, kitchen, etc. within it.   The shares can be sold for whatever the shareholder can get for them.  So the condition of the apartment is just as important in the resale value as it is in a house or a condo.   

Still, I appreciate your comment because you're right that nobody should buy something just because they can afford it.  Good lesson to point out.

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 10:42:33 PM »
Just out of curiousity, what are the two bedrooms starting out at in this place?  If the onebedrooms start at $360 thousand?  And what's the maintenance?

A realtor for the place told me 2 bedrooms start at 480K.  WTF is all i'm sayin' here.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life