relax

Author Topic: Anyone visited Eagle Electric bldg?  (Read 8344 times)

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
Re: Anyone visited Eagle Electric bldg?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 11:21:49 AM »
Hmmm... do I point out all the inconsistencies here, or keep my mouth shut? (keep mouth shut, keep mouth shut....)

but I do particularly like the part where your tax dollars stay in Astoria ("Why should my elected officials (and taxes) be used to bring you into the neighborhood for you to laugh at me?"), while those of all the new residents just go to the city of New York "Oh, revenue sharing by community board? Or is LIC/Astoria succeeding from NYC?") ...

I wonder how you worked that one out?

That said, I think what they've done to the Eagle Electric building is hideous. They took a gorgeous building and turned into one of the ugliest things I have every seen. i am really sorry that whoever regulates these things allowed the devloper to go through with such an abomination.

However, in terms of development, or overdevelopment, the project is probably a lot better for the community than other things going up in the neighborhood-
first off- it uses and existing structure, there is no new construction, no one looses a view that had one before (granted, it suddenly got much UGLIER, but if you saw the river around the eagle electric building before, you will still see it)
second- I believe the building does have its own garage, which will minimize its effect on parking
and third- in terms of infrastructure, a building this size demands that the power and water grids be adjusted to account for it... unlike the six-family houses that go up in place of two-families and try to use the existing grid. That is where the real problems are.

I would urge each and every one of you to print out this and put it away somewhere. Then in about 5 years, take it out and read it.

Actually his posting is pretty funny.

Will new luxury complexes upgrade the neighborhood?  
Mister, I live in a humble dwelling. I enjoy the small town feel of my community, my backyard, and sunlight. I am clean, and proud. You have a problem with that?

Those damn white collar professionals with their taste for finer shops and boutiques.  Their fancy cars clogging the streets. 
Are you one of the new residents who are looking down on us long time Astorians? Why should my elected officials (and taxes) be used to bring you into the neighborhood for you to laugh at me?

Their large tax revenues pouring into the area.
Oh, revenue sharing by community board? Or is LIC/Astoria succeeding from NYC?

Their enjoyment of their skyline views and the river.  
What’s wrong we me and my kids enjoying the river in a park the way rich folks do in Manhattan and Brooklyn?

Yeah!  A law should be passed in Astoria to ban these buildings and only allow them to be subsidized housing for starving artists.  That's it!  That's the way to "improve" the neighborhood
Lets bulldoze the Village and Soho and replace them with Flushing and Elmhurst.

Give me a break.  Art is a beautiful thing but economics are what will drive the local real estate market.  And no one will stop it. 
Well, there is the silly little thing like people developing a credibility gap with the local talent and their lapdog media. After all, I work with someone from Bayside (we talk about downzoning), go the health club with someone from the Village (we talk about waterfront development) and am friends with someone who lives in Williamsburg (well, even you get the picture.)

Wow, what will happen once people compare notes realize what they hear from the local talent and read in the local press is ... not ... quite ... an ... accurate ... picture ... and get organized?

Co op City indeed.  We already have that in Ravenswood and the Astoria Houses. 
Huh? My developer friend, Co op City is not public housing. You should spend less time at your summer vacation place and more in NYC. It’s a wonderful place full of quirky neighborhoods and delightful people.

Two bedroom units starting around a half mill. are definitely NOT Co op City. 
No, in this artificially inflated real estate market that’s about the price for a taxpaying shack in Maspeth.

And as far as the power grid - bring it on.  The power that is.  Con Ed has no choice but to deal with the massive development that is coming to LIC and Astoria.  And all the expensive electronic gadgets that these new people bring with them.  Again - it's all an economy of scale.  Either they pump up the power or all of Astoria goes dark.  They'll figure it out.  And so will everyone else in Astoria. 
No my friend, I want my taxes to pay for better police, sanitation and the like. I frankly do not give a damn to your new projects and am p*d that my money is connecting you to the grid instead of providing services to me.

Just like in Dumbo and Williamsburg.  People always resist change but eventually people realize that everyone is just looking out for their neighborhood in their own unique way.
The beautiful things about Brooklyn is that the people do not accept everything that is said to them on face value, they are now starting to realize that the real estate zoning that was agreed to is being double crossed, and well, just read Jane Jacobs to find out what happens when people wake up.

Get on board, this is not the 1960s, bulldozing a community for urban renewal is dead. The residents of Astoria are not so much vermin to removed to make room for 'better' people.

You will howl when you read this cause in western Queens everything is laid out for the developers. There is just that little problem of all those little people in their way.

Get used to it. You are going to see a lot more comments like this in the future.

Next summer while at your vacation home, read Lincoln’s quote about fooling folks.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 11:46:30 AM »
Actually talked to surrounding residents and they are not very happy ... the spots for cars is less than the number of apartments in an area with no parking and narrow streets.

Again, just think if the original building fabric was maintained and it became arts lofts or performance space. Non profits are being starved in this community.

What a wasted opportunity!!

But thats ok. The only way we can move forward and catch up to the rest of the city on planning is for these projects to be dropped in our lap thus giving us a wake up call.

mrferrisbueler

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 11:06:57 PM »
Actually talked to surrounding residents and they are not very happy ... the spots for cars is less than the number of apartments in an area with no parking and narrow streets.

Yeah, my wife and I would take evening strolls to the park always admiring the Eagle building, wondering when they would convert it.  If we only knew then............

Maybe the co-op board one day will vote to have the building imploaded. :evil:

mrferrisbueler

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 11:25:53 PM »
Mister, I live in a humble dwelling. I enjoy the small town feel of my community, my backyard, and sunlight. I am clean, and proud. You have a problem with that?

Are you one of the new residents who are looking down on us long time Astorians? Why should my elected officials (and taxes) be used to bring you into the neighborhood for you to laugh at me?

I need to post again, bc it really gets my goat the the "original Astorians" feel that the white collar residents look down on them. This has to be the forth or fifth time I've seen comments like the above. Where does that come from? 

Daily, I step off the N/W in Johnston & Murphy Shoes, Brooks Brothers Shirt and my Flat Front Banana Pants (obviously a successful corporate mule). I've never looked over to the guy w/ paint stains on his pants or the chick with a nose full of rings and a hand full of smokes and said "well will ya look at that beatnick do nothin', tsk tsk".  And frankly, I've never seen any other corporate junkies do that either. 

We didn't push up the rents, the market did.  Why are you angry at us?  Anyways, chances are you are in a rent controlled apartment anyway.  So despite the increase in MARKET rents in the area, it doesn't affect you. 

Its okay to have those w/ 6'rs living with those who don't have as much cash.  Guess what, that's what makes a community.  Thats what makes it diverse.  Allows all different kinds of retail and restaurants to survive. 

All in all, Astorians need to stop being such cry babies.  Boo hoo, you hurt my feelings about that.   

Maybe Curbed needs to know the real reason why Astoria will never be cool, the people perhaps?

http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/09/05/why_astoria_will_never_be_cool.php

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 04:01:11 AM »
I need to post again, bc it really gets my goat the the "original Astorians" feel that the white collar residents look down on them. This has to be the forth or fifth time I've seen comments like the above. Where does that come from?
I don't know where you've seen that, but the fact of the matter is that Astoria is, and always will be a blue-collar neighborhood. No matter how many big, fancy tall buildings they build, blue-collar workers wil always outnumber the white-collar workers here. No-one is looking down on white-collar workers. The neighborhood is known for it's diversity, not only in terms of ethnic and racial mix, but also in terms of the socio-economic mix. Your neighbors love having you here. They are thrilled that you bring with you finer shopping and eating establishments; your tax dollars and your spending trends are an asset to the neighborhood.

Daily, I step off the N/W in Johnston & Murphy Shoes, Brooks Brothers Shirt and my Flat Front Banana Pants (obviously a successful corporate mule). I've never looked over to the guy w/ paint stains on his pants or the chick with a nose full of rings and a hand full of smokes and said "well will ya look at that beatnick do nothin', tsk tsk".  And frankly, I've never seen any other corporate junkies do that either.
And I can't believe that someone with paint stains on his pants or a nose full of rings looks over at you and thinks, "Tsk, tsk, look at the poor devil who sold his soul for a few bucks to buy unnecessary expensive things to show off his wealth and buying power." I don't believe that people think that way.

We didn't push up the rents, the market did.  Why are you angry at us?  Anyways, chances are you are in a rent controlled apartment anyway.  So despite the increase in MARKET rents in the area, it doesn't affect you.
Yes you did, you pushed up the rents. You pushed them to the breaking limit. Before upscale affluent people moved into Astoria, apartments were simply turned over. Now they are totally renovated, to establish a higher rent base, and then turned over. Most of the local white-collar residents moved here from Manhattan or the gentrified sections of Brooklyn. When they were living in 5-story walk up buildings and paying, in excess, of $1500–$2000 for a small studio apartment that they had to be sharing to afford the rent, they looked here and found that they could get so much more, both in terms of apartment size and neighborhood benefits, for less money. And they came in droves only to prove to be transient neighbors and leaving behind them raised rents and landlords who were getting wealthier on the heels of their leaving! As far as the rent controlled thing, you are so dead wrong. By this point most of those tenants are paying as much, and in many cases, more than those in stabilized apartments. Rent stabilized tenants get 3%–5% increases every year. Rent controlled tenants pay 7.5%–13% per year. Every year. And, they also get to defray the landlord's fuel cost by having to pay an additional $18–$75 per month. Some of them are living with the same sink, toilet, and refrigerator and stove they had when they moved in, in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. If they want a newer one, they have to pay the same increase as anyone else. Plus the fact that most of them are old(er) and living on fixed incomes, and we know that this city is not the place for an old(er) person to live because of the cost-of-living here, their lives are generally quite difficult for them. Only the truly impoverished can get any help from any program to help them survive.   

All in all, Astorians need to stop being such cry babies.  Boo hoo, you hurt my feelings about that.
Now that's a mature way to deal with your neighbors. BTW, how long do you plan in staying here? How long have you been here? What were the reasons *you* moved to Astoria? Where have you been looking to buy your house?

Maybe Curbed needs to know the real reason why Astoria will never be cool, the people perhaps?
If you had done your reading, you would/should have known that it wasn't Curbed who made that statement but rather that it came from a blog, one person's opinion, sorry Zora, and that that opinion was tempered later in the same article.

This thread was about the Eagle Electric building, and consequently about Pistilli and their impact on the Community.

I love Astoria. I love Astoria people, all of them, even the white-collar workers. I get really annoyed when anyone bad mouths my Community. Every neighborhood has *some* problems, but in Astoria, the people are *not* one of them. If you are unhappy here, do something to make it better for all of us; join and become active in a local group looking to improve conditions locally, use you affluence for the better of  everyone—or please move on. Someone is on a waiting list right now for your place.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 08:36:53 AM »
Go NYCMacUser. Nod Nod and Triple Nod!

Astoria Kicks A*.

mrferrisbueler

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 10:49:11 AM »
A completely non-aggressive response:

"Tsk, tsk, look at the poor devil who sold his soul for a few bucks to buy unnecessary expensive things to show off his wealth and buying power." I don't believe that people think that way.

I never thought that anybody would think the above.  Anyhow, I sold my soul to a university to get a degree that would get me a job that would ensure myself and my kids a comfortable, not "expensive" or "showy" lifestyle.  I don't have: a nice car (same from h.s.), a flat screen tv, a summer home, a leather couch (or a dining room table).  Everything above rent and living expenses gets banked.   I purchase pricier clothing bc thats my uniform for work.  I'd much rather go to work in my 7 yr old khaki cargos a beat up cap and a T.  But there is no job that will let me come to work like that AND pay me enough to save my family's way out of an apartment and into a better school district (NYC educators who are offended, we all know its not the teachers, but the parents that make the schools what they are).  Which leads me to your next question.

BTW, how long do you plan in staying here? How long have you been here? What were the reasons *you* moved to Astoria? Where have you been looking to buy your house?

I moved to Astoria right out of college 4 years ago.  I came here knowing the neighborhood from when I was a kid for greek food and pastries (and papagalos from hs).  My father discovered the area in the 70's (when Astoria really was blue collar) while he was driving a cab to pay for Baruch.  After walking around Broadway for an hour or so, I decided to try the commute to midtown where I work.  I was sold. And I still love it here.  Again as has been posted in the past, should we not move to an area bc it might disrupt the livelyhoods of the current residents?  "Gee hun, Astoria is great, but the prices are too reasonable for us, we don't want to push up the rents for all of those people that humbly reside here.  Let's move to a studio in Manhattan where our kind belong" 

Take it easy guys.  I love you and the neighborhood.  I walk the streets picking up trash and pulling off fliers from peoples gates(knowing they'll only end up on the ground and I'll have to pick them up anyway).  I drive around pulling down "We Buy Land" and "Aluminum Shades" signs.  I too cringe when I see the neighborhood start going to s___ with development (Pistilli,12th St, ect) and tacky warehouse retail (Staples).

Offline krocker

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »
It amazes me the amount of vitriol and hate that is directed toward new building projects in Astoria, but whatever.  To each his own.  As for me, I have lived in Astoria for 7 years now (not far from Astoria Park), moved here because it was a reasonably priced place to live and had all the qualities I liked in a neighborhood, and for a while have wanted to stop renting and start making my money work for me as a homeowner.  Can't afford a house here - even two family houses are so crazy expensive that we couldn't swing it even if we rented a floor out.  So when new buildings started going up, I was thrilled.  Even if the designs are not what I would have chosen - nothing is perfect in this life and I can only choose the best of what's offered to me.  If it was perfect, I'm sure it would be much more money than I could afford.   I am more interested in the neighborhood where I live and having an apartment that I really like than in the design choices of the building itself.  To me, being able to walk outside my door and have the pool and the running track right there and still be near all the great Greek restaurants, etc. sounds like a good deal.  Not to mention the views of the park and bridges from the apartments themselves.  Also, the local elementary and middle school is one of the best ranked in the city. 

With that being said, I am going to post some info on the Riverview bldg for those who are interested - everyone who thinks the building is an eyesore can just ignore this...

The people they have working over there that answer the phones and show people around are not real estate professionals.  I don't know where they found these people.  I'm not surprised some people have been put off by them - but it is worthwhile to see what the deal is over there if you have the patience and persistence to get past the tour guides.  They do open house tours every weekend from 12-4 and then you can make an appointment to see additional units during the week.  The sales manager there is a really nice guy but he is overworked beyond belief because he's the only sales guy they have there. 

Price for units depend on location in the building, SF, and whether there is an "obstruction" in the apartment (like a post in the middle of your living room), in which case you can get a discount.  Most apartments are really large - kitchens are small.  One bedrooms on the third floor in the old building (which are above the lofts so are pretty high up) run around $360k - and you could easily put up a wall and make another room like an office or whatever within the space (we're talking more than 1000 sf and a balcony). Lower floors are cheaper.  Inner courtyard apts. are cheaper.  Lofts are generally cheaper because they don't have a balcony. 

Maintenance is high - it's like $1 per sf or so - no way around that.   But I've comparison shopped and it's not outrageously more expensive.   And the cost includes your heat, your air conditioning, the doorman, etc.  And it's something like 46% tax deductible.  I do worry about the costs going up in the future, but every purchase has it's own particular risks.

Parking... they have over 100 parking spaces - I forget the exact number.  It's slightly less than the number of apartments in the building, but not by much.  As I said, I live in the area and have never, ever had a problem with finding parking on the streets around here - I do not have a garage now so have been parking on the street for 7 years.  So if there are a few cars that don't use the garage, I think it will be just fine.

Retail space on the ground floor - they say they have a Greek/Italian restaurant going in and they are lobbying for a deli/convenience store and get this, a gourmet pet food store.  the need for that is questionable to me.  But they seem open to suggestions of what people would like to see there in terms of retail in that section.

Hope this helps.  If anyone has specific questions about it, feel free to ask.  I have been there so many times in trying to make the decision of whether to buy there that I may have the answer.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 08:57:01 AM »
Yet another flak for development :lol:

My friend the hatred is not against development. The antidevelopment folks provide patiently reasoned arguments against the negative impact on our quality of life and pocketbook that these rather singular looking objects have on our community. They ask why the waterfront is ok for the rich, but not those that live here. Why are taxes are not spent on improving services (does anyone think we have enough?) but is spent to help campaign donors make more money?

Points that pointedly are never addressed except by ....

... hatred and vitriol from the prodevelopment crowd. I guess unused to a dialogue, they rant.

Its interesting how the pro-development crowd tries to cynically drive a wedge into the community (poor? affordable housing! home owner? you're sitting on a strip mine! yuppie? lets add to the housing stock!)

The funny thing about this, and you might as well address this cause this point ain't going anywhere, is why the rest of the city is downzoning and Astoria isn't? Who will pay for the tremendous costs that all this development will have?

Isn't it funny how those behind prodevelopment crowd takes their limos out to the suburbs or spend time (and profits) at their summer homes, while the rest of us ride on increasingly crowded subways?

And krocker, how about some speaking engagements on your prodevelopmen rant? Have lots of civics around the city that would love to hear your krocker ...

Tell them what you tell Astorians. I dare ya!! :evil:

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 09:24:13 AM »
I think you worry too much, Gleason.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 09:26:36 AM »
Krocker, don't mind Gleason.  He's the local troll of the board.  He'll always reply to eveyone's posts with some anti-development mumbojumbo.  It's best to ignore him, as he'll never actually answer a question posted directly at him.

Thanks for the info about the new building.  I, for one, found it helpful and insightful.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 09:36:55 AM »
Thanks guys, for confirming the direction of vitriol. Now megc and jtraine, may be invite you to go beyond personal attacks and address the points raised?

I dare ya!

why don't you both go over to the building, look at an apartment, and report back to the board what you saw? don't hesitate with the praise now!

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 09:38:43 AM »
Pistilli also has the co-ops on the park (former eagle electric factory)  We went to see them a couple of weeks ago and were VERY disappointed.  They had the potential to be really nice, the spaces are large and airy with big windows and (on the park side) great views - however - we couldn't believe how cheaply they were fitted out.  The cheapest ugliest laminate flooring, miniscule kitchen areas (couldn't even be described as a kitchen), cheap, crappy appliances, cheap crappy looking formica coutertops and cabinets - I could go on!  Also, the maintenance is a dollar per sq. ft.  and they don't own the land so they will probably whack on a huge assessment in a couple of years in order to finance the mortgage on the land - NOT WORTH IT!!!  It sucks really because this building could have been fantastic for Astoria - never mind!

here, let me help. this was posted elsewhere.

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 09:40:33 AM »
Oh, for the love of GOD.

He'll always reply to eveyone's posts with some anti-development mumbojumbo. 

Foreshadowing?  What?

Offline hillary10

• Activist
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 09:41:23 AM »
Anyone know what school district the building is in?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life