relax

Author Topic: construction noise at weird times of night around 20th Ave and Steinway maybe?  (Read 793 times)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member

I live at Steinway and 21st Ave., and my bedroom windows face North, or towards 20th Ave.  I swear that I now often hear this dull sound of like a construction side....just a low humming sound...almost like of trucks moving around on a site.... the occasional beep, beep, beep sound of like a construction site truck that is backing up, etc.  ...the low hum of machinery...but nothing obvious like on the idea of a jackhammer or a pile driver.

Has anyone else been hearing this...and even during the middle of the night?  I am concerned that this will be an ongoing thing...that I'll have no way of pinpointing the source...and that once the warmer months come (and I typically prefer sleeping with the windows open vs using the A/C) that I won't be able to sleep...

Offline RayG

• Mayor
Could be the ConEd plant. that's a 24 hour operation.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
I agree with Ray, what you are hearing is definitely Con Edison.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
Thanks... I guess that would sure explain the frequency of the noise and at all hours of the night.  I'm surprised though that even with my windows closed, I can hear the noise where I live.  Isn't the ConEd plant like around 20th Ave and er.... 31st Street?

I suppose perhaps the fact that I am up on the third floor level (versus a lower floor) probably means there is more open air space for the noise to travel to my window.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life