relax

Author Topic: Seems Amazon May Be Eyeing The Sunnyside Rail Yards For Offices  (Read 1103 times)

Offline astnyc2018

• Tourist
Seems Amazon May Be Eyeing The Sunnyside Rail Yards For Offices
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »
Saw this article in the Queens Tribune and have heard whispers about this for a while.

http://queenstribune.com/sunnyside-yard-eyed-amazon-headquarters/

So here's what I think, for what it's worth...

I bet some local elected officials , most who's names will not be mentioned except Virginia Joe Crowley and his mentally deficient cousin Dizzy Lizzy... are salivating at the prospect of this. If this deal goes down, they will be tripping over each other to:

A) Take the credit 

B) be the most prominent at the ribbon cutting ceremony (photo ops anyone?)

C)Run for cover if the deals  goes south and claim they were against it all along (Van Bramer is very good at this, so is that Weasel Paul " I Was Against the Horse Carriages Before I Was For Them" Vallone"

I used to like Amazon but now see them for that they are...a behemoth that is hell bent on taking over every possible sector of the commercial sector (I mean you can order cans of soup from them for god's sake) they are putting department stores out of business, they treat their employees like dirt, Jeff Bezos is a greedy, soulless troglodyte who relies on grunts and bad labor practices to keep his business profitable. He is an insufferable, ungrateful a-hole. Why people still champion Amazon is beyond me. They seem to be an almost criminally bad company. Why people are getting all excited about the prospects of jobs coming to the borough just baffles me.  There won't be that many jobs for the good people of Western Queens...oh there will be support jobs, janitorial jobs, etc. But the tech and engineering jobs...make way for more self-important techno douches from ports of call like the Bay Area, Portland and Seattle.  I can't wait, because they've done so much for the borough already.  And I love how my favorite coffee shop has become....well is it a noodle shop or a furniture or both?

But hey, they will fit right in with the criminally bad Queens Democratic Party Organization (aka The Machine, or County). As anyone with neurons and some civic mindedness knows and who has been a resident of this borough since red sauce was gravy and Poke Bowls were effing fish stew knows by now, we are represented at best by mediocrity, at worst by downright criminality and deceit. Some say we get the government and society we deserve. I don't know about that.

Most people I know are just trying to keep their heads above water, build a decent life for the family, and are working their butts off. They are too busy and too tired to get involved. And even if they do, they usual get hosed by some low level staffer in a cheap suit who spends most of his time daydream of the time when he will hold his boss's job and he doesn't have to play fetch the coffee anymore. Small business owners are really taking it up the you know what right now, really struggling. Then we have this influx of all these self important genius techno-creative class hipster millennial type whatever you want to call them from flyover states who move here and move into boroughs like Queens, take over the neighborhood, drive commercial rents up so they can have Beyoncé yoga classes and farm to table egg white omelets and organic beard oil, meanwhile the coffee shop that has been open for 50 years has to close down because the rent has been raised and they can't afford it anymore. And now people are waiting in line for ramen. Yeah, progress. You better watch your self on the sidewalk on Saturday, elderly lady walking with your groceries, because Mr. Self Important Beardo is expressing himself by tear-assing down said sidewalk on his skateboard, and because you are elderly, you are invisible to him, because well, you're like, old, and he can't see you (also he's wearing shades, never mind its overcast out) and he has his obligatory headphones on, so the sounds of your screams as he ran you over were not heard. Beardo has to express himself in the most carbon neutral way possible, and your hip and your groceries strewn all over the place be damned.

The BS is starting to pile up so high, we're going to need wings to stay above it (or drones if we want to fit in).  Let's face it. Amazon is the borg, and it's taken over a lot.  Remember Netflix. They came along and pretty much put Blockbuster and the mom and pop video store out of business. Which is kind of too bad. I liked browsing. Ditto for bookstores. I still love Astoria, it still feels like the neighborhood despite some of transplants that move in and seem to care less about the heritage of the neighborhood or that of the borough. It really saddens me when businesses that have been here for generations close, usually because of rents. Developers have big plans for Queens and they don't include the working and middle class that once thrived and raised families here, and some even built businesses here. Take a look at Long Island City, take a look at Williamsburgh...jesus...take a look at Harlem and Chinatown...its all being snapped up. Either one or two things are going to happen. It's just going to get to upscale here and a lot of us are going to have to go elsewhere....or the locusts will tire of this locale and they will find another hip city, state, or even better, country to move to...the sooner...the better...fly away special snowflakes...and take your mandolins, your artisanal anything, and mostly your attitudes with you...we've had enough

Offline therebels

• Citizen
Re: Seems Amazon May Be Eyeing The Sunnyside Rail Yards For Offices
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
I want to shake your hand! Thank you for speaking up about the neighborhood and how it's all going to s___. You my friend are what we definitely need more of around here.

Yes, these corrupt politicians (especially the Vallone family) are nothing but miscreants and the lowest form of vermin.

THANK YOU!

Offline astnyc2018

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
Thanks The Rebels...I have reached a point where I have had it...I have seen too many people here walking around with long faces...this is still a neighborhood...let's keep it that way...this city is going down the tubes, but Astoria has always been a nice place to live. I've been all over the place, out West, in the Gulf for Desert Storm, up in New England for college...I still come back here...this is home...I don't mind other people moving here...just don't break anything, and realize families have lived here for generations...we have roots here...respect that.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
EVERY city with a largish open space for office complex like this is reporting that "Amazon considering such and such for new Campus". I saw it in the papers in Charlotte and Tampa this past week.

And each paper reporting the same issues. They want them to move there, but they don't want the city to give it away for nothing with tax breaks and zoning rules changes.

Amazon will move where they will get the best return on their investment. I don't happen to think that NYC is that place. The cost of operating here is probably 2-3X what it would be in a smaller, less expensive city.. like Charlotte, NC or similar.

Offline astnyc2018

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 02:24:01 PM »
Good point, Ray... think Amazon is trying to start a bidding war, NYC will trip over themselves to offer all kinds of tax breaks and incentives, but let's face it, the cost of doing business here is than say Charlotte NC or Raleigh-Durham area. Plus you have to figure in quality of life, and cost of living. A lot of people are looking elsewhere, not NYC for that.  Let's face it...we're just not all that anymore...especially in the tech sector. Anytime I see an article announcing big plans in the works for the Sunnyside Yards I just chuckle, because so many things have fallen through...I will probably end up in some developers hands for...yup...you high guessed it... high rise luxury condos.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life