relax

Author Topic: Enough with the double-parking in Astoria!!  (Read 1412 times)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
Enough with the double-parking in Astoria!!
« on: September 17, 2017, 11:15:30 PM »

Why does the DoT so blatantly look the other way, and do NOTHING to stop the rampant double-parking in Astoria?  Whether it's Steinway Street, or 38th Street by Dunkin Donuts on Ditmars... or cars actually idling in MTA BUS STOPS!....and then today I actually saw some assholes double-parking on 30th Avenue.... an AVENUE (so very narrow!)!.... right outside a restaurant that was packed with diners....lots of cars trying to get by...lots of traffic...and this asshole thinks nothing of just parking himself right in the lane of traffic....making all the cars behind him wait...until no oncoming traffic is coming, so that they can then go out alongside him and into the OTHER lane of traffic.  It creates a huge domino effect and yet.... most people accept this it seems....

Why is nobody beeping?  Is it because all the other drivers are similar assholes, who do the same thing when they need to, and  so they accept it when it happens to THEM, because otherwise to complain would make them a hypocrite?

Most of these people who do this are from the neighborhood!  They can't walk?  Take the bus?  Or a taxi?  They must drive everywhere?  And what's next...they'll be whining that everyone 'has to double-park' now cuz the city is 'taking away' all their precious parking spots?   Well too bad. 

I've no idea how back in the day, a family of four managed just fine with ONE car.  Now every person in the family 'must' have their own car, and 9 times out of 10 it's a ridiculous monster SUV.  People are just so self-centered and lazy nowadays.

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
  • 11106 - Kaufman Arts District, Dutch Kills, LIC
Re: Enough with the double-parking in Astoria!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 11:54:53 PM »
      Not sure what you mean by " 30th Avenue.... an AVENUE (so very narrow!)" - it is an avenue, and fairly wide for double parked cars to pass.

But I do agree on your point about double parked cars.  If unattended, they should be ticketed.  If attended, they should be made to cruise around the block - or at least pull into the nearest driveway or fire hydrant and not create hazardous conditions for others. 

Too many cars in Astoria, I feel bad for whoever has to find a place to keep their car on the street.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:57:09 AM by 28Grand »

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »
I don't even have a car and don't feel that I need one or want one.  It' s less of a headache not having a car

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
It isn't the DoT.. It's lack of enforcement by the Police and Traffic agents. What you DON'T see is a lot of it during normal business hours. Once the Agents go off duty at around 6pm or so, it is open season on double parking.

I've witnessed drivers ripping up tickets just handed to them on Steinway, and they go back to what they were doing at the food truck, or whatever. What is needed is one of those "sweeps" that make the rounds once in awhile. Convoy of tow trucks behind Plain Clothes Marshalls. They spot a scofflaw or similar, the car gets towed. No bargaining or paying with a credit card on site. It's gone.

They used to do it under the station at Ditmars to control the illegal black cars. That's pretty much fixed and you get the legal Green cars (for the most part).

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:20:51 PM »
Police squad cars used to navigate the main streets around Astoria and give out tickets for this. I rarely see them doing this during the last several years, which is why it's gotten out of control.

Offline Cassie

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:45:14 PM »
AlexNYC

Agree with you 100%.I am a driver and it is way out of control.That an Jaywalking in Astoria .

No One stopping  double parking.Just Know If I am correct if  car or truck is blocking the roadway and a accident occurs They  can  and be held accountable for the cause .Obstructing the flow of traffic.Maybe one of the lawyers on here can comment on this.

They should change the name of Astoria to Dodge City.

There s no Vision zero in Astoria.   
Hey what about all the scooters on the sidewalks?This is also not being stopped.Buildings all over have cameras.
A picture tells a story.

Cassie

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
What about bike riding on the sidewalks and what about cars not stopping at stop signs to let people cross the street?

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »
Astoria 101...what I mean about 30th Ave being narrow is that...if a car is double-parked, next to a Parked car, that means that that double-parked car is sitting IN the one lane of traffic for that direction, and that no one behind can proceed forward unless the opposite lane happens to be empty of traffic travelling in the other direction.  Clearly there is almost always traffic moving in both directions, so this means that a line of cars begins to build up behind the a$$hole double parkers, until such time as the opposite lane becomes empty, and then the entire row of cars must swerve out and onward, before more cars start heading towards them from the opposite lane of traffic.

As for scooters, yeah, I notice what they all do now is either blatantly go through a red light (I guess they think scooters aren't real 'vehicles') or else they will be real 'cute' and if they have a red light, they will instead take a slight right turn at the intersection, then swing left, so that now they are now facing a 'green light' and from there will proceed.  I do feel for these delivery guys...I mean, I get WHY they do it...they must get paid by the delivery and/or the tip for each delivery...and these guys get paid $hit and most folks look down on them.  It's tough work.  But that don't make it right.

Bicycles on the sidewalk.  I don't have so much of a problem with that so long as it's just the occasional bike, AND they are travelling slowly and taking care of pedestrians, AND they use a bell to let folks know they are coming (especially if from behind).  I mean, the streets (Steinway, 30th Ave, Bway, etc.) are very congested and dangerous for bicycles.  But when someone on a bicycle just speeds down the sidewalk and/or gives me no 'warning' they are coming, that really pisses me off.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life