relax

Author Topic: 30th Ave and 36th Ave stops shutdown  (Read 1962 times)

Offline broadwaybb

• Resident Visa
30th Ave and 36th Ave stops shutdown
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
Has anyone heard what the plan is while these stations are shutdown for 8 months? Will there be shuttle buses like the weekend shutdowns? This is making me really nervous...

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: 30th Ave and 36th Ave stops shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:06:17 AM »
I haven't heard anything about shuttle buses.  I think you will have to walk to another station

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:37:11 AM »
I live at the 30th Ave. stop and haven't heard about it. I'd read about a plan to renovate all of the stations from 39th Ave. through to Ditmars,
but no specifics as to timing.

Since the city and the state can't agree on who pays for what, I can't imagine this happening anytime soon.

But I've been seeing transit construction crews at my stop when I go to work in the morning because they're doing work during the day at non-rush hour times.

If I see them on Monday morning, I'll see if I can ask one of them and report back.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
It's Happening! Reported in DNAinfo. Stations will be closed starting October 23rd. No mention of any replacement bus service.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170914/astoria/nw-subway-station-closures-30th-avenue-36th-avenue-oct-23-mta-renovations

Offline broadwaybb

• Resident Visa
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »
I stopped and asked the station attendant what is going to happen, and he said he hasn't heard if there are any alternatives planned. He was actually really worried about his job and seemed frustrated as well. His advice was to call the mayor's office to express concern. This is going to make the other stops a mess. And those of us who live close to the 30th or 36th Ave[size=78%] stations are going to have a long walk to alternative stations (especially when it's 20 degrees in January!) I know this is a bit of a first world problem, but I'm still concerned. [/size]

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »
The Q102 runs underneath the El between 30th Avenue and Queens Plaza. The MTA could at least throw some extra busses on.

The MTA just re-opened the 53 Street station in Brooklyn. The renovation was completed earlier than scheduled but there was no replacement bus service to neighboring stations.

Offline broadwaybb

• Resident Visa
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
The Q102 can be really good, but it doesn't run very often. That would be great if they would add more buses. I am going to contact the city. It probably won't make any difference, but it can't hurt.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »
I'm having wrist surgery next week. Recovery time is about 3 months and the thought of having to walk to the Astoria Blvd. station during the winter scares me since NO ONE ever shovels their snow and a fall could really do me in.

Maybe the mayor could order a bunch of the SUV's that shuttle him to his gym in Park Slope over to Astoria to help us out?

Yet another reason why I'm not voting for him. This is absolutely ridiculous.

People really need to start calling, writing, etc. to protest this. I'm calling the mayor's office today and intend to write a letter to the governor about this.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 12:23:42 PM »
I'm having wrist surgery next week. Recovery time is about 3 months and the thought of having to walk to the Astoria Blvd. station during the winter scares me since NO ONE ever shovels their snow and a fall could really do me in.

Maybe the mayor could order a bunch of the SUV's that shuttle him to his gym in Park Slope over to Astoria to help us out?

Yet another reason why I'm not voting for him. This is absolutely ridiculous.

People really need to start calling, writing, etc. to protest this. I'm calling the mayor's office today and intend to write a letter to the governor about this.

I doubt you calling will do any good.  They;re closing the stations to make improvements.  It's already been planned and it will happen

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
Wouldn't they do what they did for Brooklyn. Close the stations in ONE direction only? You can take it on the opposite direction for a stop or two, then change to the other direction to go back. No different when they work on the tracks now during the day.

Offline broadwaybb

• Resident Visa
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
Maybe calling won't stop it, but we can ask them to help us out with extra buses or something. Transportation in Astoria already has its issues. Shutting down two major stations is concerning to those of us who rely on the subway every day. It may not help, but we can at least try.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
Wouldn't they do what they did for Brooklyn. Close the stations in ONE direction only? You can take it on the opposite direction for a stop or two, then change to the other direction to go back. No different when they work on the tracks now during the day.

The MTA is experimenting with both methods, closing stations entirely or closing in one direction only. It looks like the current thinking is closing a station entirely would lead to faster rehab times.

The 59 Street station R station was closed entirely and work was finished in less than six months and ahead of schedule. The work on the Sea Beach line/N train stations is taking over two years. Work on the Manhattan-bound side finished in July. The Brooklyn -bound platforms are now closed until Fall 2018. I'd rather be inconvenienced for 6 months than two years.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 07:45:42 PM »

Sorry to hear about you needing surgery.  I haven't taken the train in a long time, but my memory of some of these stations is that some of the hand rails are plain, unpainted metal and are extremely slippery in cold or wet weather.  Gloves that are stretchy enough to slip over your bandages might not have the grip you would need to hold onto the rails, and leather/pleather might not stretch enough to go over the bandages.  If you need to get new gloves please make sure they have very grippy palms & finger strips!

I have a lot of chronic pain/injuries so I'm very sensitive to other people's painful situations!

Offline astoriagirl

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
yes walking between stations to get to your avenue is not going to be fun in the winter . . .

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 09:07:07 AM »
The 30th Avenue station was opened on Friday June 22nd. It looks pretty good. They added an additional exit stairway on the Ditmars bound side, but they added it on the north side of the platfrom instead of the south side. The main stairs are not in the center of the platform, but are closer to the north side. When the trains stop you have 3 cars of people using the front stairway, and 5 cars of people using the back staiway, which is why the south side ujsually gets bottlenecked and takes a lot longer for people to exit during the evening rush.  Why didn't they add the new staiway on the south side to accomodate the exiting passengers like they did at the Broadway station? Did they ask commuters for their opinion? I see it as a lost opportunity to make people's commute smoother.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life