relax

Author Topic: Handyman in Astoria?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
Handyman in Astoria?
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »
Looking for someone skilled and reliable to fix windows an possibly other things.
Want your name in lights? Change it to Exit --Soupy Sales

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
Re: Handyman in Astoria?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »
This thread has been read 145 times as of my writing this, not including the reading I'm doing now. Are there NO good handymen in Astoria? Really?

What do Astorians do when something needs repairs?

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »
Believe me, I wonder the same question about repairs.  I have a shopping cart with a broken rear axle.  I can find replacement wheels online, which I don't need, but nothing in regard to axles, and the one time I attempted to ask at Home Adviser I got an instant estimate of $150 minimum because nobody has heard of repairing shopping cart axles and the site thinks I'm talking about car axles.  The cart cost about $20 20 years ago.  It's now 99% cart, 1% broken, and 100% useless and I finally gave in and mail ordered a new cart.  You might have to use a site like Home Adviser, though.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:20:50 PM »
This is a window in my apartment I need repaired. I can't buy another window and I'm not about to move out.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
https://www.homeadvisor.com/

Home Advisor is for finding home repair/ home care people.  They're not real estate agents, and home means "home", not just "house".  It's like Angie's List.  I'm not recommending any services because I haven't actually used them, I'm just saying if nobody on Astorians knows of anyone to recommend to you, you might try looking for someone on a professional listing site. 

Offline therebels

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:15:09 PM »
This is a window in my apartment I need repaired. I can't buy another window and I'm not about to move out.

What is wrong with the window?

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
  • 11106 - Kaufman Arts District, Dutch Kills, LIC
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

Not a handyman, but All About Glass in Astoria/LIC repairs windows - glass, springs, etc.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
I have two double-hung windows, right next to each other, in the room where I spend most of my time at home. The top parts of each window have slid down and there's no putting them up again. One window has slidden about 2" or 3" down; the other has slidden all the way down. I am defenseless against both insects and the elements.

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
  • 11106 - Kaufman Arts District, Dutch Kills, LIC
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
You need your springs repaired.  Pretty simple job - you can youtube it and do it yourself or call someone like All About Glass.  Or someone at your neighborhood old fashioned hardware store could give you a recommendation - there are still a couple of these around Astoria.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »
Thanks, astoria101, but I've looked at a few of those videos and I haven't seen a one that doesn't confuse me further. I'm going to have to call a handyman (brrr).

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life