relax

Author Topic: For those in Upper Ditmars and/or near Steinway/Ditmars, question on bugs  (Read 1645 times)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member

I used to live around 30th Ave and 21st Street and for past 3 years I've lived near Ditmars/Steinway.

I live in a small apt. bldg which is pretty well maintained and where the LL and his family also live.  I've noticed that our bldg has a small issue with those large roaches also called 'water bugs' or 'german cockroaches' or 'palmetto bugs'.... but basically they are large dark roaches like the kind you might sometimes see scurrying along the wall of a subway.

I've also noticed these bugs (more at certain times of the year...maybe early May?) on the sidewalks in Upper Ditmars...at night....and often around trees.

I never saw these bugs around 30th Ave and 21st Street or in my apartment there, so it seems there is something in this part of Astoria that is more hospitable to them.

Anyone else who lives in this part of Astoria and who has also noticed this?

I'm sure my LL is aware of it but apparently he doesn't think it a serious enough problem to call in an exterminator, nor am I sure how much good that would do anyway.  My plan is to have a handyman guy come to my apt. and be sure that any cracks where the wall meets the floor are filled in!

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
I've walked through upper Ditmars many times throughout the seasons and never noticed an unusual number of waterbugs out on the street, but this is the time of year when these bugs really make themselves known, hence the name June Bugs.  They live all year long, and can live anywhere, and if your landlord isn't treating them as a problem, then that's a problem.  If they're in your space, they have to be in the landlord's space as well, and if only one of you is treating the problem the problem is likely to come back since waterbugs can squeeze through the thinnest of spaces, and don't start out being large anyway.   Until you get the cracks sealed, and even after, go get the big version of the black Raid roach baits.

Is it possible the landlord isn't treating the problem for cultural reasons?  I once doused a waterbug with roach spray and went away to wait for it to die.  My roommate washed it off and put it outside.  It was a cultural non-violence issue. 

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
I call them water bugs, i.e. giant cockroaches, as well as the other names you mentioned. I've never heard them called June bugs, but they tend to come out in June through the summer. I thought it's because of summer and the heat.

I've had them in every apartment I've lived in Astoria and I've lived in every Astoria zip code. Growing up in the Ditmars area, we never had any issue with them when I was younger (and I'm far from young nowadays) but everyone has them in their houses and apartments now

Usually, I'm not bothered because it's usually only a few waterbugs here and there during a short period of time whereas, regular cockroaches are a nuisance because they come out all the time. Maybe that's why your landlord hasn't sprayed. Since the mid-May or so, I've seen and got rid of 2-3 bugs.

Watch out, they can fly!

Years ago, in a previous apartment I cam home on a hot summer night to find 7-8 of them flying around my bedroom. That was pretty gross, and the worst experience I've had with them.

Offline mm

• Council Member
Had one in my place about three weeks ago. First time ever. I think it just got in when the door was open, because it's the only one I've ever seen. But I sort of feel there are more outside this year. I could be wrong though.

Offline Yaxpac

• Mayor
was your place on 30th and 21st a new(er) building?  The old buildings have the bugs no matter how much you spray.  They are just in the walls, pipes, whatever.  The newer buildings are sealed better and seem to be bug free as you attested to.  or at least they haven't been able to infiltrate the new buildings yet

Offline litza

• Activist
We live in the area and we have similar seasonal problems. We've had an exterminator come look at our house, and he said that there's not really much you can do beyond blocking their entry (which is very hard to do). They come from outside looking for food/water, they don't nest inside your house. One night a few summers back we were sitting on the couch and I started noticing shadows passing across our picture window. I opened the blinds to discover that there were several waterbugs crawling back and forth across our screens, searching for a way in. It was horrific, but it also made me realize how widespread and persistent they are in looking for a way in... At least in NYC we only have to worry about them a few months out of the year!

Offline moose

• Resident
They come out when they do all that digging in the streets too

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
Finally, a subject to bring us all together again.   :cool:

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
OK, glad it's not just me...sounds like these specific bugs are just something we have to accept for the most part, albeit just for a certain time of the year.

That said, I am super vigilant about sealing up all cracks in my apt....where all walls meet the floorboards, and that includes inside closets and behind the fridge and stove.  I also try to seal up around pipes under the bathroom and kitchen sinks, but then you can only seal so much there, since you also need to make sure that plumbers can still make repairs under the sinks, when necessary.

I also added weather stripping under my apartment door, which not only helps fill in the gap often found under apt. doors ...but it also helps keep out hallway noise, and helps keep the cooler, air-conditioned air inside your apt during the summer, and the warmer air inside your apt in the winter.

I also make sure to kill EVERY waterbug (AND centipede) that I see, as I know that every one less bug = one less 'breeder'.  ;-)  Unlike kitchen roaches, where killing one or two of them accomplishes 'squat', killing these other bugs can indeed cut down on their proliferation.

btw, when it comes to traditional little 'kitchen roaches', I had a bit of an issue with that when I lived in Harlem.  And I can tell you that what absolutely works for that situation are those black square 'Combat' roach thingy's.  You do need to keep on top of it though and replace them every 3 months or so.  But indeed, as soon as I started seeing roaches appear again, I'd replace all my Combat traps, and within just a few days, no more roaches were to be seen again for at least a few months.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life