relax

Author Topic: Where in Astoria for best (Brunchpancakes or French toast but without long waits  (Read 1123 times)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member

I'm really picky about my pancakes and French toast.  Don't want pancakes made from instant batter.  I want real pancakes, with real maple syrup.  Ditto for French toast.  I want thick French toast made with challah bread or similar....not some thin mushy 'white bread'.

In the past, Astor Bake Shop was my go to place when I wanted pancakes.  There's were the best!!  ;-(

Now with Astor gone, I'm looking for a new place where I can just pop-in when I want, for good pancakes or French toast.  But I'm not looking for a place like The Bonnie, where I need to wait in line forever.  I want an 'easy' place similar to how Astor Bake Shop was....where I can just show up and get a seat either immediately, or waiting just a few minutes for a table to open up.

Any suggestions?

Tx!

Offline Mark

• Campaigning for Council
The french toast at Neptune is really good but the syrup is very underwhelming. It is just a corn syrup product in individual packets. You could bring some maple syrup with you. Probably not what you had in mind but it would be very good. Also, Jackson Hole diner has really good pancakes with maple syrup or at least they did the last time I was there.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
Really??  I never would have thought that diners such as those, and which serve corn syrup maple syrup in individual plastic containers no less, actually serve made-from-scratch pancakes (and not from a pancake mix batter)?  Would you say that you can always tell the difference between homemade pancakes and those made from a mix?  Because I can. ;-) The ones from a mix tend to be a bit more 'rubbery' and thin, compared to the homemade ones. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life