relax

Author Topic: Astoria-equivalent in DC  (Read 1185 times)

Offline MTV

• Tourist
Astoria-equivalent in DC
« on: March 02, 2017, 06:33:30 AM »
hi everyone

We lived in Astoria for a few years and loved it. Now moving to DC, and was wondering whether anyone who knows the city well could recommend a neighborhood there which would be "similar" to Astoria - in terms of overall vibe, restaurants, affordability, etc.

thanks a lot in advance,
Manuel

Offline lifeguard

• Resident
Re: Astoria-equivalent in DC
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »
I grew up in Astoria and came back for several years post 9/11.  Lived and worked in the D.C. Area for several years in the 90s.  The District and surrounding areas are much more expensive now and are not really conducive to family living.  High rents and schools suck.  For singles, the hot areas are Georgetown,
DuPont Circle, Capitol Hill and Kalorama.  There has been much gentrification in northeast D.C. ( the city is laid out in quadrants), but still some rough sections.  Much less crime than the old days.  Like Manhattan, a really good place to live if you're wealthy.  Most families live in suburban Maryland and Virginia.  Public transit (Metro) is pretty good.  I lived in Alexandria, in the Old Town section.  Had an apartment one block from the River.  Plenty of restaurants and pubs, shopping, etc.  loved it;  probably five time more expensive now than when I lived there.  Finally, the climate is terrible, built on a swamp.  May through October, unbelievable humidity!!  Good luck.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life