relax

Author Topic: Wave Thai has closed, after losing their lease  (Read 2992 times)

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
Wave Thai has closed, after losing their lease
« on: February 27, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
I am very sad about this loss to the neighborhood. I enjoyed many meals at Wave Thai, as well as take out many times, too. They've had the doors open to auction off their equipment, and I had a chance to express my thanks and sorrow to a young woman who's worked there for a while. They don't have plans for a relocation right now, but encouraged tracking them on the Wave Thai Facebook page.

They provided MANY wonderful meals for me, and certainly never got wealthy in the process. Wishing them well.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: Wave Thai has closed, after losing their lease
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »
Bangkok Tasty on 23rd Ave has very good Thai food.  I like them better than Wave Thai

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
Bangkok Tasty on 23rd Ave has very good Thai food.  I like them better than Wave Thai
  I agree - I like Bangkok Tasty.  I also like Boon Chu on Ditmars a lot. https://www.yelp.com/biz/boon-chu-2-thai-place-astoria

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
I like Bangkok Tasty, too. I found Wave Thai and Bangkok Thai to be good for different things. Will miss Wave Thai. Curious about Boon Chu 2. I went there once soon after they opened and wasn't impressed. Maybe I should give it another try? It has always looked empty when I've walked by, which hasn't been encouraging, either.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »
Curious about Boon Chu 2. I went there once soon after they opened and wasn't impressed. Maybe I should give it another try? It has always looked empty when I've walked by, which hasn't been encouraging, either.
  I would give it a try again and see what you think.  I agree about it empty.  I think it's because of the poor atmosphere (big open space and glass storefront) and lack of a bar/cocktails, music, or any kind of vibe at all. The food itself is good.  We do takeout.  Another excellent new Thai place is on 30th.  The only issue I had is it's VERY tight and claustrophobic.  Cool décor and space but I prefer more room from my neighbors. https://www.yelp.com/biz/pochana-thai-kitchen-astoria-2

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »

I'm also sad about Wave, not only because I loved their decor/ambiance (so warm and cozy) but...I discovered their Street Noodles with Beef.  OMG...sublime!! 

It's also sad because of what this means for the nabe as a whole....yet another small business being forced out due to greed, with little care for how it all changes the character of the neighborhood.  I fault the local politicians who are allowing this to happen completely unchecked.  Everywhere I turn I see new empty lots being built-up, often with ugly new buildings.  Or houses on side streets being sold, and then 'built-up' with additional floors ....you know, so the new owners can make maximum profit with multiple rental units.  It's all quite disgusting, as it's all about pure greed.

And then how will our subways handle all the extra people moving here?  And then the long-term residents will be complaining about where to park their multiple cars (they can't park their SUVs in their own garages of course, because their garages are full of junk).  Sigh.

Offline brandon

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »
I did some research on this a few weeks ago, and that whole block of 31st from ABC Super Stores to the public library is being bulldozed for new construction, with commercial space on the ground floor and 42 residential units on floors 2-6: https://www.yimbynews.com/2017/03/six-story-42-unit-mixed-use-project-coming-to-21-21-31st-street-astoria.html

That's an improvement over what I had read before. Apparently, initial plans called for converting the whole block from the library to 21st Ave into 78 units. That would have included Elephant Thai, the 99¢ store, El Olivo, a salon, and Verdi Fresh. The old Sunbright laundromat was part of that, and it has closed already. The same company (RockFarmer) bought all of these spaces, so maybe they're just building in two phases now?

Offline dawnlovesthierry

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 10:53:32 AM »
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!  WAVE THAI HAS MOVED! They appear to have bought out Bangkok Tasty. Same owners & staff, same menu.

San Aroy Thai Kitchen
29-06 23rd Ave, Astoria NY 11105

Yay Street Noodles!!   :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline moose

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 11:39:23 AM »
facebook page says there is an opening special of 20% off until June 14 byob

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 08:00:04 AM »
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!  WAVE THAI HAS MOVED! They appear to have bought out Bangkok Tasty. Same owners & staff, same menu.

San Aroy Thai Kitchen
29-06 23rd Ave, Astoria NY 11105

Yay Street Noodles!!   :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
I wonder why they didn't keep the name Wave Thai.  People wouldn't know it was the same restaurant.  I wasn't crazy about Wave Thai.  Maybe this place will be better.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 08:05:31 AM »
I walked by the new Thai Place Sans Aroy yesterday at 1 and it was empty.  The Bonny had a line to get in, the bagel place was crowded but this place had no customers at all. It was like this with Bangkok Tasty.  If they want this new restaurant to be a success they will have to make some changes to attract customers or they will have the same fate as Bangkok Tasty.

Offline JeffE93

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »
I ran into Peter, the owner of Wave Thai, this week.  He said his nephew started up San Aroy, hence the same menu. But he and his wife are not involved in the new venture.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »

Just saw this thread...I hope the new venture offers the same quality?  ;-)

I too was hooked on Wave's street noodles.  Friends in the nabe introduced me to Wave Thai...they loved their street noodles...I decided to try that dish one time and....WOW!  It was so good I went back just a few days later to get the same dish. 

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
This restaurant is still empty every time I walk by. Iwonder how much longer it will stay open with no customers

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »
This restaurant is still empty every time I walk by. Iwonder how much longer it will stay open with no customers

We tried Sans Aroy and were not impressed.  I agree that they'll need to improve pretty quick or it won't look good for them.  We did not eat inside but the atmosphere of Bangkok Tasty was never exciting or that welcoming.  We need something like Pai Boat in this part of town.  I love that place.  It has a cool cocktail vibe along with an interesting menu.  For that matter, so does Leng.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life