relax

Author Topic: Help improve community-police relations  (Read 1099 times)

Offline silencio

• Resident
    • All Astoria Eats: An attempt to eat at every restaurant in Astoria
Help improve community-police relations
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:03:18 AM »
Hey! I know that political stuff isn't embraced by everyone on this site, but for those who are: There's a bill floating around the New York City Council called the Right to Know Act, which would strengthen relations between the city's police force and the community—basically it would just require officers to identify themselves when they stop someone, tell the person why they've been stopped, and tell them that they have the legal right to refuse to be searched without legal justification. (All this is in the officer handbook, but like many a thing in any employee handbook, it gets overlooked—this would require them to say it as a matter of routine, like Miranda rights.)

How this applies to Astoria: Our councilmember, Costa Constantinides, is pretty progressive overall but needs to be convinced that he should co-sponsor the bill. Calling his office at 718.274.4500 to let him know you support more transparent relations with the NYPD would be super-helpful in creating a safer environment for everyone in Astoria. It took me 45 seconds (yes, I timed it). Here's to a safer community!

Offline litza

• Activist
Re: Help improve community-police relations
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
Thank you for this information! I didn't know about Costa's position on this - I see him at school dropoff most days and will put in a word.

Offline silencio

• Resident
    • All Astoria Eats: An attempt to eat at every restaurant in Astoria
Re: Help improve community-police relations
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 06:31:31 AM »
Thank you for this information! I didn't know about Costa's position on this - I see him at school dropoff most days and will put in a word.

Much appreciated, Litza!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life