relax

Author Topic: Bakery at Steinway and 28th Avenue  (Read 1990 times)

Offline ap060

• Tourist
Bakery at Steinway and 28th Avenue
« on: February 19, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of a bakery at 28-05 Steinway Street (Steinway just south of 28th Avenue, on the east side of the street, about three storefronts down form 28th avenue) that would have been open in the late 70s/early 80's? Someone told me Warner Bakery, but I'm not sure that's right. Possibly Natale or Rizzi?

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
Re: Bakery at Steinway and 28th Avenue
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »
Do you mean Vaccaro Bakery? I think it's still there.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
The German bakery was on the west side of Steinway, not the east side. I think it was called Benkert's, or something similar.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »
I forgot about Benkert's. They were located at 28-30 Steinway. I found this picture:

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
There were two bakeries on the west side of Steinway. When I moved here, Benkert’s was close to the theater (now Duane Reade,) in or near what is now RadioShack. Benkert’s and the German deli next door were my favorites for food shopping.

There was another German bakery on the same side of Steinway, closer to 28th St. My guess is that it was in a former location of Benkerts at 28-30. I don’t recall the name, but the awning said “Where Butter Makes The Difference.” I remember it was used as a location for a skit on the Conan O'Brien show on CBS.

Across the street on the east side of Steinway was the Joseph Bake Shop. Vacarro Bakery, formerly at 42nd St. & 30th Ave. has moved to the space that was Joseph.

Offline aldo

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
Where butter makes the difference = Steinway Bake Shop

Offline LaoWombat

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
There were two bakeries on the west side of Steinway. When I moved here, Benkert’s was close to the theater (now Duane Reade,) in or near what is now RadioShack. Benkert’s and the German deli next door were my favorites for food shopping.

There was another German bakery on the same side of Steinway, closer to 28th St. My guess is that it was in a former location of Benkerts at 28-30. I don’t recall the name, but the awning said “Where Butter Makes The Difference.” I remember it was used as a location for a skit on the Conan O'Brien show on CBS.

Across the street on the east side of Steinway was the Joseph Bake Shop. Vacarro Bakery, formerly at 42nd St. & 30th Ave. has moved to the space that was Joseph.

German or Polish?  Or maybe some of the people that worked there were Polish, IIRC.  Their cream buns were delish.
Zen signature below

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life