relax

Author Topic: Reminiscing about the old Astorians web site  (Read 3961 times)

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
  • 11106 - Kaufman Arts District, Dutch Kills, LIC
Re: Reminiscing about the old Astorians web site
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
Braun, it's not always what you choose to give "people".  Facebook will take whatever info they can derive from your associations and your general browsing history by reading tracking cookies set by their associate websites.  Kind of like how uber tracks you for 5-10 minutes after you get out of the cab (not to mention how they keep a database of everybody's trips), but that's another story altogether.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
I dont' really care about that.  I like facebook a lot and enjoy keeping in touch with family and friends, some of whom live in other states.  I have privacy settings so they could track me all they want.  I dont' care.

Offline itskara

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
I miss this site too, it was my go-to place to find out about new/closing retailers, construction, etc.  I'm going to start a new thread today, in fact.  :-)

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
For those of you interested, we're having one of our monthly dinners this Friday evening at Chela & Garnacha.  All are welcome.  Go to Facebook and look for AstoriaCentric for details.  We always have a great time, not to mention delicious foods and cocktails.  While we have a core group, there are always new and familiar people who filter in and out each month based on location, cuisine preferences, or availability.  Terrific friendships have formed by way of these outings.

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
  • 11106 - Kaufman Arts District, Dutch Kills, LIC
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
Chela & Garnacha - great place.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
Chela & Garnacha - great place.
We've heard!  Outstanding reviews on Yelp.  It's small so we practically reserved the whole space for our group.  Very much looking forward to it.  Word is they have some awesome Margaritas too.

Offline astoristani

• Council Member
  • we own all your base
    • NYCee
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 10:58:22 PM »
I remember when this site was in its heyday  from 2007 or so until 2012 or so and  I couldn't wait to check it out each night.  I am not surprised that posters move on but I am surprised that they  weren't replaced in large numbers.    So many of the members posted here multiple times a day/week for years and I am sad they all left apparently forever. I am not sure if it is that there are different  means to communicate through social media or  did the site just get tired.  I am surprised that people who posted so frequently totally left the site  never to be heard from again.  I know many people were probably of the age to start families or  have relocated but I am surprised they have totally disappeared.  I moved from Astoria to eastern Queens in 2012 but still visit Astoria about twice a month.

I remember when there were mixers and I think I attended the last one which  was a Czech place on 23rd avenue near Ditmars.  I was happy to meet some of  "neighbors" at that  mixer.  If you haven't checked in for a while please  stop by to say hello.  If there is  a way to get this  site more active again please make suggestions.  As the title said i was just reminiscing  about some good times on this site and was longing for those days.  I know there is an expression that "you can't go back again" and that is probably true but as i said in the title I was just reminiscing.

I feel the same way about this site. I used to post regularly but not so much anymore. I still try to check out the new posts about once a week. Unfortunately, there usually isn't much of interest on here anymore since most of the original denizens and characters no longer contribute.
I think this site has gone through several iterations over the years.
1. Originally, this was a vibrant online community of locals that wanted to reach out and communicate with their neighbors about their experiences here, We didn't always agree and at times the discussions could become pretty heated. Honestly. I believe that Astoria then had so much more character and has since become a pretty generic "any town" USA neighborhood. I don't state this to reopen the old v. new Astoria debate which rages here from time to time. It's simply the truth that the new Astorians refuse to accept. I am a transplant from the Midweat that has lived in the same apartment for about 20 years. I've seen the working class families in my building that were driven away by the absurd rents that recent Midwestern transplants are willing to pay. Of course, many of them live 4 or 5 to a 1br so the rent increases don't really effect them. This was the period when this board really flourished.
2. Enter the new PC moderation team that believed their job was to make sure that everyone towed the party line and got along. Once a thread got heated and emotional/interesting, it was locked down. This drove away a lot of members or, at least, discouraged any kind of exchange of opinions. To a degree, this site was subjected to censorship and several members were taken to task/suspended/banned because the moderators disagreed with their posts. E.g. I was taken to task for simply stating the historical truth that Ditmars was a neighborhood built to house the overflow of Steinway, Queens and not technically part of Astoria, Cf. The Steinway Branch of the QPL in Ditmars v. Astoria Branch in Astoria.
3. Then came the rage of old Astorians v. new Astorians as the neighborhood was being genericized (Astoria is not in any way gentrified) unlike Manhattan or Brooklyn. You had long time residents like myself trying to explain to someone that had just moved here that the quality of life in the neighborhood was declining as the "New York City" was being sucked out of Astoria. Thankfully, Astoria hasn't been so raped as Greenpoint, BK. Originally, people came to Astoria for its "quaintness/Queensness". Instead of embracing the neighborhood, the new residents tried to transform Astoria into the college town that they came from. Starbucks, Dominos, Papa Johns and subways prolifigated. Really, who can stomach that dreck but Midwestern transplants--$6 foot long v. Sal, Kris and Charlie's. SMH
4. Then came the hostility against any new posters. The old guard piled on the the ad hominem attacks until the PC moderators locked the threads. Again, stifling any debate. More and more people left the site in utter frustation.
5. So here we are... No traffic and no discourse

I find it so very funny that people here think that they are interacting with my avatar. Do they also believe that they are interacting with pieces of fruit, cats and cartoon characters? Enquiring minds want to know...

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
Hi! I used to post a lot in 2007ish maybe? This is where I made a lot of friends. I no longer live in Astoria, but I miss it -- both this board and Astoria. I would love to move back, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen  :sad:

I do still keep up with the Astoria happenings via Facebook and stuff (mostly because it's easy) but I totally get your feeling of missing coming home and having a few pages of stuff on here to read. I log in here every now and then and am genuinely shocked that the front page will span 1-3 months!

Taco Crawl 2006 was my first excursion, and everyone was so awesome. I still have the pins that were made... :cool: :kiss:
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life