relax

Author Topic: Reminiscing about the old Astorians web site  (Read 3690 times)

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
Reminiscing about the old Astorians web site
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »
I remember when this site was in its heyday  from 2007 or so until 2012 or so and  I couldn't wait to check it out each night.  I am not surprised that posters move on but I am surprised that they  weren't replaced in large numbers.    So many of the members posted here multiple times a day/week for years and I am sad they all left apparently forever. I am not sure if it is that there are different  means to communicate through social media or  did the site just get tired.  I am surprised that people who posted so frequently totally left the site  never to be heard from again.  I know many people were probably of the age to start families or  have relocated but I am surprised they have totally disappeared.  I moved from Astoria to eastern Queens in 2012 but still visit Astoria about twice a month.

I remember when there were mixers and I think I attended the last one which  was a Czech place on 23rd avenue near Ditmars.  I was happy to meet some of  "neighbors" at that  mixer.  If you haven't checked in for a while please  stop by to say hello.  If there is  a way to get this  site more active again please make suggestions.  As the title said i was just reminiscing  about some good times on this site and was longing for those days.  I know there is an expression that "you can't go back again" and that is probably true but as i said in the title I was just reminiscing.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: Reminiscing about the old Astorians web site
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:04:41 AM »
I remember when this site was in its heyday  from 2007 or so until 2012 or so and  I couldn't wait to check it out each night.  I am not surprised that posters move on but I am surprised that they  weren't replaced in large numbers.    So many of the members posted here multiple times a day/week for years and I am sad they all left apparently forever. I am not sure if it is that there are different  means to communicate through social media or  did the site just get tired.  I am surprised that people who posted so frequently totally left the site  never to be heard from again.  I know many people were probably of the age to start families or  have relocated but I am surprised they have totally disappeared.  I moved from Astoria to eastern Queens in 2012 but still visit Astoria about twice a month.

I remember when there were mixers and I think I attended the last one which  was a Czech place on 23rd avenue near Ditmars.  I was happy to meet some of  "neighbors" at that  mixer.  If you haven't checked in for a while please  stop by to say hello.  If there is  a way to get this  site more active again please make suggestions.  As the title said i was just reminiscing  about some good times on this site and was longing for those days.  I know there is an expression that "you can't go back again" and that is probably true but as i said in the title I was just reminiscing.

I know what you mean.  I used to log on in the morning and see so many new posts.  Now I hardly see anything new.  I think people have moved on to facebook.  I see a lot of posting about Astoria on there.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »

I know what you mean.  I used to log on in the morning and see so many new posts.  Now I hardly see anything new.  I think people have moved on to facebook.  I see a lot of posting about Astoria on there.

If you are members of Facebook, I urge you to seek out and join the AstoriaCentric group.  We have nice discussions and post interesting news and events happening around town.  We also get together for drinks and dinner regularly.  A dinner is coming up this Thursday evening, 2/23 in fact.  The event details are found on FB in the group site.  I think the difference that people enjoy is that on Facebook our identities are revealed.  We come from all walks of life and definitely don't agree with each other about every issue, but we get along nicely and treat each other with respect.  Unfortunately this site provides some anonymity and the discussions are not always civil.  That's life and we're NYers so we're accustomed to things not always being civil, but it's not cool just because people can hide behind a fake identity on a site like this.  I still visit here occasionally and find it worth while.  But I prefer the more honest and open environment like we enjoy with our FB group.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 03:22:03 PM »
A lot of us are still here, just posting less, and doing a lot on Facebook and Twitter.  I think when Facebook took off, and the number of Facebook groups created about Astoria expanded, we got less traffic.  A bunch of us still do dinner every other month as the AstoriaCentric dinner series.  I'll start posting the events here again. 

I hope we can get more folks posting and getting to know each other.

I know one of the biggest losses for Astoria was when Momma Mac passed on - she was so good at keeping us all tied together.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
If you are members of Facebook, I urge you to seek out and join the AstoriaCentric group.  We have nice discussions and post interesting news and events happening around town.  We also get together for drinks and dinner regularly.  A dinner is coming up this Thursday evening, 2/23 in fact.  The event details are found on FB in the group site.  I think the difference that people enjoy is that on Facebook our identities are revealed.  We come from all walks of life and definitely don't agree with each other about every issue, but we get along nicely and treat each other with respect.  Unfortunately this site provides some anonymity and the discussions are not always civil.  That's life and we're NYers so we're accustomed to things not always being civil, but it's not cool just because people can hide behind a fake identity on a site like this.  I still visit here occasionally and find it worth while.  But I prefer the more honest and open environment like we enjoy with our FB group.

We think alike! :)

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »
Thanks everybody for the responses.  I figured social media was part of the reason but I didn't realize  how much was going on in Facebook since i got tired of it and deactivated my account several years ago.  I will check out the AstoriaCentric group and others on Facebook and maybe reactivate my account. 

I know sometimes the  civility can be less than desired on the anonymous sites  but I never thought  Astorians was too bad.  Jackson Heights Life is still very active but there are many obnoxious/uncivil posters on that site and most of the good posters have left because of a few who dominate that Board

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:59:35 AM »
I log on here every morning.  I used to see lot so new posts but now I hardly see any.  I'm on facebook and see all the posting on there, but I miss people posting on here.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »
I agree. I'm not on Facebook and won't ever be. I also don't do Twitter, Instagram, etc. - that' just my personal choice. Those platforms just take up too much precious time for me. This site used to be interesting and even if I only have a couple of minutes, it was interesting to read people's various posts. But I'll probably visit less often if people are opting for FB instead of Astorians.com. Too bad.

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
  • 11106 - Kaufman Arts District, Dutch Kills, LIC
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm with you ladydi.  No time for facebook/twitter/instagram and I prefer to keep my anonymity where I can.

Nice range of views on this site and people generally get along but if people are moving to other platforms I'll come by this site every once in a while and be happy with astoriapost.com and licpost.com.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »
You can still be anonymous on Facebook and Twitter - happens all the time, but most have their identities revealed and are less combative than they can be here.  Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
If you aren't logged into facebook it puts up an annoying bar across the screen which makes it difficult to read.
Also I don't believe you can comment anonymously.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »
If you aren't logged into facebook it puts up an annoying bar across the screen which makes it difficult to read.
Also I don't believe you can comment anonymously.

A lot of people dont' have a profile picture with their actual face and they make up a name so you could post anonymously if you want to

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
I still stand by my original comment. Email takes up enough of my time and I have less than zero interest in being on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other platform. Every time my partner tells me "I'm just going to check my FB for a
minute" he's on there at least 30 minutes before I say something.

I also just don't feel the need to share my life so publicly online. It's not for me - and from what I see, not for a lot of
other people either.

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:39:20 AM »
Also, don't forget about facebook's privacy issues.

Remember that on facebook YOU are the product and are constantly being tracked not only from facebook.com but your web browsing history is being shared with facebook by any site that has one of those share on facebook links.

I'm not paranoid, just a software developer for a couple of decades.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
I still stand by my original comment. Email takes up enough of my time and I have less than zero interest in being on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other platform. Every time my partner tells me "I'm just going to check my FB for a
minute" he's on there at least 30 minutes before I say something.

I also just don't feel the need to share my life so publicly online. It's not for me - and from what I see, not for a lot of
other people either.

You only have to tell people what you want to tell.  Personally I dont' share that much information, telling people where I'm going and what I'm doing

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
Braun, it's not always what you choose to give "people".  Facebook will take whatever info they can derive from your associations and your general browsing history by reading tracking cookies set by their associate websites.  Kind of like how uber tracks you for 5-10 minutes after you get out of the cab (not to mention how they keep a database of everybody's trips), but that's another story altogether.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
I dont' really care about that.  I like facebook a lot and enjoy keeping in touch with family and friends, some of whom live in other states.  I have privacy settings so they could track me all they want.  I dont' care.

Offline itskara

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
I miss this site too, it was my go-to place to find out about new/closing retailers, construction, etc.  I'm going to start a new thread today, in fact.  :-)

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
For those of you interested, we're having one of our monthly dinners this Friday evening at Chela & Garnacha.  All are welcome.  Go to Facebook and look for AstoriaCentric for details.  We always have a great time, not to mention delicious foods and cocktails.  While we have a core group, there are always new and familiar people who filter in and out each month based on location, cuisine preferences, or availability.  Terrific friendships have formed by way of these outings.

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
Chela & Garnacha - great place.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
Chela & Garnacha - great place.
We've heard!  Outstanding reviews on Yelp.  It's small so we practically reserved the whole space for our group.  Very much looking forward to it.  Word is they have some awesome Margaritas too.

Offline astoristani

• Council Member
  • we own all your base
    • NYCee
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 10:58:22 PM »

I feel the same way about this site. I used to post regularly but not so much anymore. I still try to check out the new posts about once a week. Unfortunately, there usually isn't much of interest on here anymore since most of the original denizens and characters no longer contribute.
I think this site has gone through several iterations over the years.
1. Originally, this was a vibrant online community of locals that wanted to reach out and communicate with their neighbors about their experiences here, We didn't always agree and at times the discussions could become pretty heated. Honestly. I believe that Astoria then had so much more character and has since become a pretty generic "any town" USA neighborhood. I don't state this to reopen the old v. new Astoria debate which rages here from time to time. It's simply the truth that the new Astorians refuse to accept. I am a transplant from the Midweat that has lived in the same apartment for about 20 years. I've seen the working class families in my building that were driven away by the absurd rents that recent Midwestern transplants are willing to pay. Of course, many of them live 4 or 5 to a 1br so the rent increases don't really effect them. This was the period when this board really flourished.
2. Enter the new PC moderation team that believed their job was to make sure that everyone towed the party line and got along. Once a thread got heated and emotional/interesting, it was locked down. This drove away a lot of members or, at least, discouraged any kind of exchange of opinions. To a degree, this site was subjected to censorship and several members were taken to task/suspended/banned because the moderators disagreed with their posts. E.g. I was taken to task for simply stating the historical truth that Ditmars was a neighborhood built to house the overflow of Steinway, Queens and not technically part of Astoria, Cf. The Steinway Branch of the QPL in Ditmars v. Astoria Branch in Astoria.
3. Then came the rage of old Astorians v. new Astorians as the neighborhood was being genericized (Astoria is not in any way gentrified) unlike Manhattan or Brooklyn. You had long time residents like myself trying to explain to someone that had just moved here that the quality of life in the neighborhood was declining as the "New York City" was being sucked out of Astoria. Thankfully, Astoria hasn't been so raped as Greenpoint, BK. Originally, people came to Astoria for its "quaintness/Queensness". Instead of embracing the neighborhood, the new residents tried to transform Astoria into the college town that they came from. Starbucks, Dominos, Papa Johns and subways prolifigated. Really, who can stomach that dreck but Midwestern transplants--$6 foot long v. Sal, Kris and Charlie's. SMH
4. Then came the hostility against any new posters. The old guard piled on the the ad hominem attacks until the PC moderators locked the threads. Again, stifling any debate. More and more people left the site in utter frustation.
5. So here we are... No traffic and no discourse

I find it so very funny that people here think that they are interacting with my avatar. Do they also believe that they are interacting with pieces of fruit, cats and cartoon characters? Enquiring minds want to know...

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
Hi! I used to post a lot in 2007ish maybe? This is where I made a lot of friends. I no longer live in Astoria, but I miss it -- both this board and Astoria. I would love to move back, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen  :sad:

I do still keep up with the Astoria happenings via Facebook and stuff (mostly because it's easy) but I totally get your feeling of missing coming home and having a few pages of stuff on here to read. I log in here every now and then and am genuinely shocked that the front page will span 1-3 months!

Taco Crawl 2006 was my first excursion, and everyone was so awesome. I still have the pins that were made... :cool: :kiss:
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life