relax

Author Topic: Jose Peralta/No IDC  (Read 1606 times)

Offline inconnu65

• Tourist
Jose Peralta/No IDC
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
Jose Peralta: Stop Empowering Republicans![/size]demonstrationThursday, February 16 at 6:30 PM - 8 PMNext Week · 27–36° Mostly CloudyUnited States Post Office (Jackson Heights, Queens)78-02 37th Ave, New York, New York 11372State Senator Jose Peralta defected from the Senate Democratic Caucus to the IDC (Independent Democratic Conference) to caucus with Senate Republicans. This is indefensible when Senate Republicans seek to push the Trump agenda in New York. Here in the most diverse neighborhood in New York City, we say no to xenophobia, no to Islamaphobia, and no to the Trump agenda!

Offline litza

• Activist
Re: Jose Peralta/No IDC
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:50:51 AM »
For more context about the IDC, see http://www.noidcny.org. There's also a Facebook group with regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/NoIDCNY

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
Can we agree to keep the political posts out of the Local Chat and Issues section and put it in Random Gabble where others in the past have been moved?

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
Thanks for posting.

Jose Peralta: Stop Empowering Republicans!demonstrationThursday, February 16 at 6:30 PM - 8 PMNext Week · 27–36° Mostly CloudyUnited States Post Office (Jackson Heights, Queens)78-02 37th Ave, New York, New York 11372State Senator Jose Peralta defected from the Senate Democratic Caucus to the IDC (Independent Democratic Conference) to caucus with Senate Republicans. This is indefensible when Senate Republicans seek to push the Trump agenda in New York. Here in the most diverse neighborhood in New York City, we say no to xenophobia, no to Islamaphobia, and no to the Trump agenda!

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »
Can we agree to keep the political posts out of the Local Chat and Issues section…
Maybe that section should be titled “Local Chat and Non-Issues” to avoid confusion.

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »
Maybe Astorians can create a new section entitled "Safe Space" for those who can't handle community activism in their neighborhood forums?  Just a thought. 

Maybe that section should be titled “Local Chat and Non-Issues” to avoid confusion.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »
Maybe Astorians can create a new section entitled "Safe Space" for those who can't handle community activism in their neighborhood forums?  Just a thought.
There are plenty of forums to make incendiary political commentary. Apparently, Astorians.com agrees and has moved this type of posturing out of the Local Issues area. Makes sense.

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 02:47:55 PM »
"Incendiary", "posturing"...that is your opinion and you are entitled to that opinion, but once again, you don't make the rules as to what people can post about in this forum, nor where they post it.  Why do you think you are the arbiter of Astorians?  This is a community forum, and the original post was directly related to an issue in our community

I see zero difference between Local Chat & Issues and Random Gabble - but if moving the conversation helps you, then by all means, go for it.  I think my suggestion of a "Safe Space" is perfect for you though. 

There are plenty of forums to make incendiary political commentary. Apparently, Astorians.com agrees and has moved this type of posturing out of the Local Issues area. Makes sense.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »
"Incendiary", "posturing"...that is your opinion and you are entitled to that opinion, but once again, you don't make the rules as to what people can post about in this forum, nor where they post it.  Why do you think you are the arbiter of Astorians?  This is a community forum, and the original post was directly related to an issue in our community

I see zero difference between Local Chat & Issues and Random Gabble - but if moving the conversation helps you, then by all means, go for it.  I think my suggestion of a "Safe Space" is perfect for you though.
I'm not the arbitrator. The person who is, pushed it this topic to where it belongs. Political opinion has already been moved out of local topics that had nothing to do with me. If you disagree, please feel free to delete your account.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »

" Jose Peralta: Stop Empowering Republicans!" [/size]That is a direct quote. If you don't see how that is political posturing, then there is no reasoning with you.

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »
What, exactly, is your problem?

" Jose Peralta: Stop Empowering Republicans!" That is a direct quote. If you don't see how that is political posturing, then there is no reasoning with you.

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »
I don't particularly have a dog in this fight, but I somehow suspect this argument is a rehashing of some previous fight and not actually about the post at hand. This is not about national politics, but about a LOCAL Astoria senator who started caucusing with a party other than the party whose ticket he ran on. It seems to me that a disinterested third party would classify that as a "local issue" rather than "random gabble."

(Also, you could make a pretty strong case that for a Democrat to caucus with the Republicans is "empowering Republicans," without resorting to hyperbole.)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life