relax

Author Topic: Astor Bake Shop: CLOSED!! ;-(  (Read 1575 times)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
Astor Bake Shop: CLOSED!! ;-(
« on: January 13, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »

I wonder what happened?  I was never a fan of their very lackluster waitstaff/table service, but otherwise I really liked the ambiance here, and much of the food (their pancakes were THE best!).  I sure hope (for the sake of the people who live in that part of Astoria) that another café goes in, since there's nothing else around there.

Offline TJT

• Senator
Re: Astor Bake Shop: CLOSED!! ;-(
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
I wonder what happened?  I was never a fan of their very lackluster waitstaff/table service, but otherwise I really liked the ambiance here, and much of the food (their pancakes were THE best!).  I sure hope (for the sake of the people who live in that part of Astoria) that another café goes in, since there's nothing else around there.
I live in that area.  I also really liked Astor Bake Shop but the service (counter and table) was awful for sure, but the place was charming in so many other ways.  I'm not sure what the story is but Pop Bar next door (nice space and beautiful yard) is also vacant.  Maybe a plan for both?  Astoria Craft (nearby) is doing phenomenal.  Busy every night and the food/drink/service is all very good IMO.  So to your point, there is definitely demand in that area for more places to eat/drink.  Personally I'd like to see Astor Bake Shop become something more like 60 Beans.  The coffee house thing by day and beer/wine/music at night.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
Re: Astor Bake Shop: CLOSED!! ;-(
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »

Pop Bar..I assume that's same space right next door that's changed a few times over the years?  That spot doesn't seem to have much sticking power.

Astoria Craft...not sure I know that.  I recall there was a Mexican(?) restaurant bar on a corner heading towards 21st St., and think I remember seeing something else there now.  Is that Astoria Craft?  ..and assume by the name that it's a beer place?

As for 60 Beans, I feel like many folks just aren't sure 'what' to make of them now or what their future holds.  I was so thrilled when they began offering dinner there, as the chef was phenomenally good imho, but for whatever reason they stopped the dinner thing a few months ago.  Since they clearly have a kitchen, I figured they might try again to offer dinner (maybe with a new chef) or else try offering brunch.  Last I'd heard was that they were staying open 'somewhat late' (til 700p or so) and continuing to offer beer/wine, but ....it seems to me that if you are going to do that, then why not stay open later?  Offering beer/wine til just 700p seems half-hearted to me.  Unless...they are staying open later than I realize?...and are they regularly also including live music? 

I would love a place in the nabe that's not a bar per se, but just a place to nurse a nice glass of wine and chill with music.  I will say that last summer, Mussels and Sausages was good for that... they had some very nice live music...and at just my speed...nice and chill.  ;-)

I

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life