relax

Author Topic: Old Electronics - Throw out or recycle?  (Read 4079 times)

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
Old Electronics - Throw out or recycle?
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
I'm not clear on what electronics can or cannot be thrown out. I know TVs, DVD/VCRs and Computers must be brought to electronics retailers, but what do you do about items such as steam irons, coffee makers, vacuum cleaners, and such? Can I throw them out with the trash?

Also, what do you do with old TVs when you just want to throw them out, and the new one you purchased was from online merchant? Local retail stores won't want to take old TVs if you're not buying a new one from them, right?

Offline therebels

• Citizen
Re: Old Electronics - Throw out or recycle?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »
Thanks, I had seen that site. It appears the Queens drop off site for electronics is all the way out in College Point. Since the electronic items I mentioned on not listed, I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing by throwing them out with the trash.

Offline therebels

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »
Thanks, I had seen that site. It appears the Queens drop off site for electronics is all the way out in College Point. Since the electronic items I mentioned on not listed, I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing by throwing them out with the trash.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/zerowaste/residents/electronics.shtml

Read the top portion and then scroll down past the map and read the section on non-listed items.

Other ElectronicsElectronic equipment not specifically covered by local or state regulations (such as loose cables, cameras, GPS devices, and microwaves) can be discarded in regular garbage.  Items made of mostly metal or rigid plastic can be recycled with other metal/glass/plastic items.[/size][/color]

Offline LizDaFizz

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »
I'm not clear on what electronics can or cannot be thrown out. I know TVs, DVD/VCRs and Computers must be brought to electronics retailers, but what do you do about items such as steam irons, coffee makers, vacuum cleaners, and such? Can I throw them out with the trash?

Also, what do you do with old TVs when you just want to throw them out, and the new one you purchased was from online merchant? Local retail stores won't want to take old TVs if you're not buying a new one from them, right?
The items you listed aren't considered electronics, they're small appliances.  If you go to the main page of the DSNY site, on the left hand side is a search box underneath "How to get rid of..." and then you can type in anything you want.  When you type in "iron", for example, you get:
Search Results:ironhousewares (mostly metal or rigid plastic)
Donate or sell if in good condition. Otherwise, recycle any metal with metal, glass, plastic & cartons.
learn moresmall appliance (mostly metal or rigid plastic)
Donate or sell if in working condition. Otherwise, recycle with metal, glass, plastic & cartons.
learn moresmall appliance (not mostly metal or rigid plastic)
Donate or sell if in working condition. Otherwise, discard as bulk or regular garbage on your regular collection day(s).
learn more

Same thing with vacuum cleaners and coffee makers, which also both come up in the search.  They should be recycled as I'm (assuming?) your appliances are probably made out of metal or rigid plastic.

As for old tvs, just last Saturday I went to the College Point special waste drop off center to get rid of a busted 50" tv.  Luckily I have access to a car because without one it would have been out of the question but there was no one else there and it went a LOT faster than at the disposal events they usually have in Astoria Park with cars backed up everywhere.  Contrary to what the DSNY website says: 1) no one asked for license or registration 2) I did not have to do it myself or even get out of the car, two guys came over and asked what I had and offered to take the tv out of the backseat for me.  Schlepping out to the ends of the earth/College Point isn't great but then you have an excuse to make a Target run while you're out there so win-win.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »
This new law really makes it hard for someone who can't lift heavy things and who doesn't have a car to get rid of big things such as tvs and also old computers.  There should be an easier way.  There's no way I could lift my heavy old tv so I just keep it and also my old computer

Offline Cassie

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
Braun

I am with you.I cannot lift any more but have a car. Also it wont fit in trunk.
I know others also with same feelings on this
Cassie

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »
Braun

I am with you.I cannot lift any more but have a car. Also it wont fit in trunk.
I know others also with same feelings on this
Cassie

They should allow people to make arrangements to have it picked up from their home if this is so important.  I'll probably never get rid of my old tv or computer because I can't lift it and definitely can't carry it down the stairs.

Offline Cassie

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
Agree Braun

If and when you get rid of your old computer take out hard drive  and destroy it.

Cassie

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 12:51:14 PM »
Agree Braun

If and when you get rid of your old computer take out hard drive  and destroy it.

Cassie

Thanks Cassie.  I definitely will

Offline LizDaFizz

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »

They should allow people to make arrangements to have it picked up from their home if this is so important.  I'll probably never get rid of my old tv or computer because I can't lift it and definitely can't carry it down the stairs.
While I agree that the conditions for disposing of electronics certainly don't make it easy for a lot of New Yorkers (I've seen other cities let you put hazardous waste outside for collection on certain days to be collected separately from regular trash, which at least would mean not needing a car or having to store things indefinitely in tiny living spaces), but if you can't get your items down the stairs, what exactly do you expect DSNY to do?  Even if there was no electronics ban, they were never going to come into your house/apartment and carry it down the stairs and these products were never going to last a lifetime so it was bound to come up at some point.  I'm small and weak and needed help getting the tv out of my house and into my car, no shame asking for help/bribing the strongest people you know. 

You should have seen what I (and six other people) went through trying to get an ancient fridge UP stairs and out of my basement for collection, that thing was built like a tank.  DSNY had a hell of a time getting it into the truck, even.  They came to pick it up but it was still my responsibility to get the thing onto the sidewalk, not theirs.  If you don't have anyone to help you, maybe you can offer them some money on your next collection day and ask if they'll take it away for you?  Or offer it to someone on Craigslist with the condition being they have to come get it?  Or hire a mover/man with a van/whatever to help?

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
The main reason I started this thread on electronics disposal is that when I previously attempted to throw out small appliances they were not picked up. So I assumed I was doing something wrong. After reading the answers here, I attempted disposal again of the same tiems, and this time they took them.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
Regarding old televisions, it appears electronic stores that sell them don't want to take them. 

PC Richards refuses to take my old TV. I went there with the intention of buying a new television, but they have a policy of not taking the old one. I don't know the law but I thought electronic stores that sell TV's are required to accept the old ones. I left without doing business with them. As a long time customer who has purchased a lot of items from them, I find their refusal to take back the old TV a serious disconnect with the community they want to do business with.

As for Best Buy they are willing to accept your old TV if you pay $25 charge. Both stores appear to not comply with NYC law to take back old TVs without a fee.

Offline therebels

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »

As for Best Buy they are willing to accept your old TV if you pay $25 charge. Both stores appear to not comply with NYC law to take back old TVs without a fee.

Report them via 311.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 01:30:19 PM »

I didn't read every response here but... please, please.... if you have any type of appliance or electronics that you no longer want, and which the city will not accept, or you don't have the ability to drop off somewhere.... please try to recycle the item.  Many people want such items, whether in working condition or not.  (Some people like to tinker with things and try to 'fix them'.  Other people want the items for their parts.)

Our landfills are obviously FULL of 'stuff'.  Please do what you can do add less to our landfills.

Post a note on Craiglist Classifieds in the FREE section offering up the items.  You can also just say CURB ALERT in the header, and indicate that 'the following items will be on the curb in front of address such and such'.  Then it's up to folks to come by for it.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/search/zip

Or post on Freecycle.org.  Freecyle and TrashNothing are somehow related I think, and considered a Yahoo Group.  I DO recall it was a bit confusing first setting up an account, but once I was setup the process was super easy.  Folks OFFER stuff on the site, or indicate stuff they WANT, and people find each other that way.

https://www.freecycle.org/

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life