relax

Author Topic: Woodside - Big Six Towers  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
Woodside - Big Six Towers
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »
Hey quick question: 

Anyone here heard of anything bad/good about this complex?   :rolleyes:   

c'iao for now ~ 

P.S.   A healthy 2017 to all ~ 

Offline angela1969

• Activist
Re: Woodside - Big Six Towers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
did you put your name on a waiting list because that is the only way you will eventually and I mean eventually get in -- but bottom line it has changed alot and not for the good either

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:19:51 PM »
It's okay. It's historically aligned to one of the labor unions. It's very blue collar but safe enough. 10 minute walk to the 7 train.

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 07:28:21 PM »
I know that my uncle helped build it --

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 07:56:13 PM »
Are you the person who asked the question?

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »
Thanks for response, angela1969 / Eamonn. 

I have been informed for the possibility of a one-bedroom w/balcony.  Will be checking it out. Yes, I even forgot I applied "years" ago.

Soo what is the change that is not good? 

As far as the walk to the train, right now it's takes me about 7minutes to walk to the Ditmars Station.  I see that the #7 goes Express during rush hours from 61st Woodside to QBP, which is good  :smiley: .   Right now it's apprx 12 minutes or so from Ditmars/QBP.[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]C'iao for now ~[/size]

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 03:34:06 PM »
Woodside has changed considerably over the past 30 years. From mainly Irish American, to a massive influx of Irish from Ireland, to a rapid multicultural mix, to what could be a hipster haven. A lot of old timers lament the changes. I agree certain things have changed for the worse but I am optimistic. For examples of bad trends, the areas around Roosevelt to Queens Blvd east of 65th Pl have goten quite rundown. I think it will turnaround soon.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
Greetings of 2017 to All ~

So I went to view the offer .. now, decision has to be made quickly. 

Pro's?  the monthly would be half of rent what I pay now and includes everything; it is affordable for to purchase the aprtment.  Besides the #7 the Q60 is close by as well the M/R, however that's a 15 minute walk.

Con?  LR/BdRm smaller than what i have now and would have to make adjustments.  I would also leave Astoria with a heavy-heart.

:embarrassed:  what to do what to do.  Enlighten me ~     C'iao for now ~

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
This is obviously a very personal decision but if you really like Astoria, I would not consider this move. That part of Woodside is just far enough from the fun stuff of Astoria that it might as well be 10 miles away. The immediate area just doesn't offer a lot for walking around, browsing stores, etc. Savings won't seem that important once you realize you are spending so much more time at home because things are not convenient. I would stay put.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »
Eamonn ~    Correct, a personal decision and just wanted the opinion from here.  Your point is well-taken.

Thank you for the reply.

C'iao for now ~

Offline 60decibels

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »
I would seriously consider how secure you are with your current living situation. Unless you are rent-stabilized, you could lose your place because the owner gets greedy, sells to someone else, etc.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 11:39:21 AM »
60decibels ~ thanks.  Not rent stabilized but I've been there a long time and the thought of the owner selling has crossed my mind. 

I find it ridiculous when I found out what the tenants upstairs were paying, OMG! Then again split between 3 people is probably affordable.

C'iao for now ~

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 04:10:35 PM »
Astoria rents just keep going up and up (and our landlords want those of us who have been here for many years to move on as well).

What did you end up deciding?

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
Greetings mcdirk ~

I decided that I will be accepting the offer.    :grin:

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »
if you decide to move into the Big Six they have a facebook page -

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »
Greetings once again ~

Long story short:  Going soon for the "2nd" viewing.  The 1st one did not agree with me.  Wish me luck  :wink:

Any personal suggestions on reliable movers, handyperson, boxes, etc.,

C'iao for now ~

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 06:48:52 PM »
Boxes - I can recommend Duck brand boxes.  A few years ago my brother shipped some stuff to me from California in Duck brand boxes, stuff I wanted but had no immediate need for so I didn't open them till recently.  Each box was heavy.  In addition to being shipped here the boxes have been stacked, re-stacked, placed on their sides, shoved around, kicked, and they've kept their shape and are so strong I didn't even attempt to take them apart for recycling. 

https://www.duckbrand.com/

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
Re: Woodside - Big Six Towers (Update) **
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 10:53:48 AM »
Greetings to those interested ~

I have been all moved and settled for a few months now  :smiley:  I am quite happy with my place although I am almost adjusted going from the first floor, 3 family home (with backyard and facing), to a building complex with much more tenants.  I do have a terrace which is nice.  Having not to leave the bldg to do laundry is great.

I miss taking the "N/W" train and having a seat all the time in the mornings.  Now it's the "7" - no seat and crowded.  There is several bus lines along my new neighbor for the just in case, so that's not a problem (i.e., Q60,Q32,Q18,Q72 to name a few).  While I do switch at QBP for the N/W, I occasionally do get a seat there due to the closures along that line (for now).

Having A/C at my disposal this past summer was wonderful.  More windows/more light  :cool:  .. very happy with that.  Now to see how the cold-weathered months work out.

I still visit the Ditmars area.  The ambiance/stores/restaurants, etc., different too.  Still adjusting to all that too and getting acquainted.  It's all good ....

C'iao for now ~

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »
Congratulations on the move, Simplymei, I'm glad it worked out well.  I reread the thread - it sounds like you made a well reasoned, well researched decision.

I guess if you figured out how to get around in wet weather it was a preview of how things will be in cold weather.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »
Starwind51 ~  :grin:

Your reply was most welcomed.  Thank you for that!

C'iao for now ~ 

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 10:08:10 PM »
How many years did it take you to get called for an apartment?  Do you hear much noise from the apartments around you or above you?
If the 7 train is too crowded you might want to consider the LIRR if you can walk from Penn Station to your job.  With the  increasing rental prices in Queens you probably made a good decision and you can always UBER to Astoria several times a month.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
Greetings EddieStjohns ~

I cannot complain about the neighbors above or around me.  All quiet.  I don't even hear the tenants above me walking about.

The only thing I've notice is when the weather is bad and it's raining/cloudy the airplanes fly so low you can actually see the wheels out and i could see the windows[size=78%].[/size][/size] It's so close and "loud" you can't hear the television.  I'm getting use to that now and it's not often and/or everyday or all night. [size=78%]

I definitely made the right decision.  My place now is actually larger than what I originally thought. I am reminded of that each time I clean house and takes me longer ....

C'iao for now ~

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »

I read through this whole thread.

So what exactly are the Big Six Towers, and why does it seem so many know about them?  And... I couldn't really gauge from what was said here re: long lists etc. .... are these like Mitchell-Lama or something buildings...where bldgs are nice enough and rents cheap enough, that once people get an apt they don't want to leave? 

And did I also read something in the thread that implied you can rent with option to later purchase the apt (as like a co-op/condo)?

Thanks.

Offline wannabehippie

• Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »
Greetings EddieStjohns ~

I cannot complain about the neighbors above or around me.  All quiet.  I don't even hear the tenants above me walking about.

The only thing I've notice is when the weather is bad and it's raining/cloudy the airplanes fly so low you can actually see the wheels out and i could see the windows[size=78%].[/size] It's so close and "loud" you can't hear the television.  I'm getting use to that now and it's not often and/or everyday or all night. [size=78%]

I definitely made the right decision.  My place now is actually larger than what I originally thought. I am reminded of that each time I clean house and takes me longer ....

C'iao for now ~
[/size]
[size=78%]

How is the parking around there?[/size]

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
Greetings yippee ~  in reply, the Towers are Mitchell-Lama (moderate-middle income).  The waiting list takes a long time to open up depending on the size of apartment you sign up for.

Once you're moved in, I doubt if anyone moves out.  Building/complex is kept clean. If you own a car you sign up and placed on wait list for that.  I understand the monthly fee is very reasonable as well.

I don't know about renting with options to buy.

We are shareholders and pay maintenance, not rent.  It is definitely much more reasonable and affordable.  :tongue: There are rules but that is expected and, do have Board meetings for everyone to attend. Not sure how often.. remember, I'm the new person!

C'iao for now ~

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life