relax

Author Topic: ABC Store Closing  (Read 7059 times)

Offline C-J

• Senator
Re: ABC Store Closing
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 05:37:34 PM »
I believe it's everything north of the library over time.  Unless they bought that and Mandee as well.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 08:12:10 AM »
They better not close the library.  I will really miss that

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
They better not close the library.  I will really miss that
I have no real information on this but my gut instinct is that if that space were rebuilt, the proposal would include a new library space as part of the new construction.  If it were a closure, it would be temporary, and then a nicer library afterwards.  That would certainly be my hope and expectation.

Offline therebels

• Citizen
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
I have no real information on this but my gut instinct is that if that space were rebuilt, the proposal would include a new library space as part of the new construction.  If it were a closure, it would be temporary, and then a nicer library afterwards.  That would certainly be my hope and expectation.

Agree with you 100%. I would like to see either the library stay as is or have a new library put up.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »
I doubt very much that they would knock down the library. 

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 03:20:37 PM »
I doubt very much that they would knock down the library.
I wouldn't say that at all. It's an old and uninspired structure.  What I think is that the branch at that general location will stay, but it could find a new home on the ground level of new construction.

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
I don't think the library is going anywhere. And I don't think that Mandee's getting demolished, either - saw workers bringing fresh drywall into the building a couple of days ago, so I think they're renovating. From what I glimpsed, I think I saw some new interior walls, so maybe they're subdividing the space?

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »
I don't think the library is going anywhere. And I don't think that Mandee's getting demolished, either - saw workers bringing fresh drywall into the building a couple of days ago, so I think they're renovating. From what I glimpsed, I think I saw some new interior walls, so maybe they're subdividing the space?

That's what I thought because it was called a construction sale

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »
Was shocked and saddened to discover that Wave Thai lost their lease and have closed. They don't have plans to reopen, at least not any time soon. That's a major loss, to me.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 08:08:42 AM »
The rumor was that all of those stores from the library down would be closing so I'm not surprised, but I'm not happy about it

Offline replan

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
Here's a story about what's planned. A mixed use condo, 43 apartments with stores.

https://therealdeal.com/2017/03/01/rockfarmer-plans-nearly-100k-sf-condo-in-astoria/

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
Thank you! That's the most concrete information I've seen about the project. I'm pleased to see that these guys seem slightly less shady than some local developers - they did the Astoria Lights project, about which I've heard nothing but glowing reviews.

I am sad to see that the footprint includes Verdi Fresh. Though the highlighted properties on the map are also inaccurate, since they don't include Wave Thai/defunct Cuban coffee shop/toy store.

Offline replan

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
Thank you! That's the most concrete information I've seen about the project. I'm pleased to see that these guys seem slightly less shady than some local developers - they did the Astoria Lights project, about which I've heard nothing but glowing reviews.

I am sad to see that the footprint includes Verdi Fresh. Though the highlighted properties on the map are also inaccurate, since they don't include Wave Thai/defunct Cuban coffee shop/toy store.

Yeah, most developers aren't going to publicly disclose what their plans are until they're reasonably confident it can happen. I'm in the real estate industry so I don't trust the rumor mill about things like this until I see/hear something from a reputable source.

The diagram in the article was probably done by the reporter or someone on their staff rather than the developer so I wouldn't 100% trust its accuracy. I just did a bit of research on city websites, all the buildings north of the library look like they're owned by related companies even though they're under different LLCs, so I have to believe they're all part of the development. It also looks like they were working on putting together this assemblage for some time.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »
In case any one missed it, ABC Store has been resurrected as "ABC Deals" in the old Mandee's space (I think), closer to Ditmars.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »
In case any one missed it, ABC Store has been resurrected as "ABC Deals" in the old Mandee's space (I think), closer to Ditmars.

ABC Deals is a completely new store that has nothing whatsoever to do with ABC Stores.  I really don't like this store too much and miss ABC Stores.  They had lots of good deals on clothing.  I bought most of my bathing suits there.  This new ABC Deals isn't so great. They don't have much clothing and the prices aren't so great. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life