relax

Author Topic: ABC Store Closing  (Read 7296 times)

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: ABC Store Closing
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 08:05:04 AM »

Living in quiet areas like Astoria is what made living in dense, populous New York City bearable.  You'd go crazy in Manhattan, come home to Astoria to get sane.

Starwind I agree with you.  In the summer I love coming home to Astoria after working in the city.  I look forward to going down to the park and just relaxing

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 09:13:29 AM »

Living in quiet areas like Astoria is what made living in dense, populous New York City bearable.  You'd go crazy in Manhattan, come home to Astoria to get sane.
Its not that I disagree with you its I don't think it is responsible or realistic to expect an area so close to Manhattan to remain the way it is. I love the area which is why I live here. I do however understand that we are smack dab in the middle of the most populous and desirable place in the country and world. I can guarantee you there were people complaining about when the building/house you live in was built. We need to be smart about growth and that means more housing and dense growth. The alternative is to continue to the 1950s model of sprawl gobbling up green space at the edges of our cities.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 05:37:42 PM »
On 31st Street, between Broadway and 31st Avenue, didn't they construct an apartment building with the Deals store on street level?  Deals may be schlocky, but the point is you can have large-space retail operations with low price points and new housing above.  Even by the el. 

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »
Greetings ~ so I stopped by ABC last night and they now have signs posted all over that they are closing soon.  I asked the guy by the entrance ... when?   After thinking about what I asked him, he replied, March.  We'll see.  Merchandise has been marked down and  expect it to go even lower when it gets closer to March.

Now Mandee has signs that read "Construction Sale .."  what does that mean?  Have they been brought out too?  I think they will not close but will re-open after whatever construction is done w/ABC?  Maybe? Just a guess.

C'iao for now ~

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 08:18:45 AM »
I walked into Mandee's last night and it was a mess.  Shoes thrown around all over the floor.  Originally they said the rumor was that the stores from the library to 21st Avenue would close, but Mandees is before the library so I don't know what to think about this.

Offline Pawgny

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 06:51:10 AM »
Local rumor is that all the shops between the 24 hr corner store to the Library - are coming down. In its place will be three 10 story buildings.  No Bueno

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »
I've asked at Verdi Fresh and there's no news from them about their lease ending as of a few weeks ago. El Olivo just renovated and a friend of the owner told me that they have no plans to close. So the stores north of ABC might be sticking around.

As for Mandee, I wondered the same thing, but I also saw them repairing the sign last week. I don't think they'd repair the sign right before they closed for good...but who knows.

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
I don't think anything can be constructed over six stories given the new zoning regulations which went into effect several years ago.  Even at six stories it would be the same height as the complex across 31st Street.

One wrinkle I heard is that the church on 21st Ave is refusing to sell their air rights which could also impact how tall this building can be.

In other news, Soho underneath the gym is closing on February 10th.  :(

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
I got married in that church and I am so happy they are not selling the air rights -- good for them --

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
Well.... A friend who's an active member of the church and who's been close to the negotiations has told me that they are in fact transferring some of the air rights (they need the money to stay solvent and do necessary improvements). It sounds like it won't actually allow them to go much over the height permitted by the zoning laws (75 feet with the transfer, I think?). I believe that this sort of transfer is also "as of right," which means that it does not require approval of the Community Board (based on a conversation I had with a CB member).

(I'm personally very much in favor of development on that site, but glad that it won't be out of scale with other buildings in the vicinity.)

So far as I know the buildings north of ABC are not losing their leases, though I guess that could change any day. And I heard yesterday that the laundromat is closing, so perhaps it already has changed?

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »
Well.... A friend who's an active member of the church and who's been close to the negotiations has told me that they are in fact transferring some of the air rights (they need the money to stay solvent and do necessary improvements). It sounds like it won't actually allow them to go much over the height permitted by the zoning laws (75 feet with the transfer, I think?). I believe that this sort of transfer is also "as of right," which means that it does not require approval of the Community Board (based on a conversation I had with a CB member).

(I'm personally very much in favor of development on that site, but glad that it won't be out of scale with other buildings in the vicinity.)

So far as I know the buildings north of ABC are not losing their leases, though I guess that could change any day. And I heard yesterday that the laundromat is closing, so perhaps it already has changed?

That would be a bummer if the laundry place closes as I love those people!

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »
Somebody told me that little store that sells suitcases and toys and other things is closing also

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »
Yup, the toy/luggage store is definitely closing. Everything is 20% off right now.

An update from my friend at Grace Lutheran - the Attorney General's office has stalled the air rights transfer, but it sounds like that's just a technicality and it's going to go through. It sounds like this is a big, long project - they have a 15-year timeframe for the entire thing. So it may be that the ABC-to-library project will be the first phase and the buildings north of ABC will be a second phase, since they still have several years left on their leases.

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 08:58:08 AM »
Owner of the laundromat told me on Saturday she lost her lease (it was a four year battle) and they will be closing in the next 2-3 weeks. 

:(

Offline therebels

• Citizen
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 05:15:31 PM »
So the library is being torn down as well?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life