relax

Author Topic: ABC Store Closing  (Read 7297 times)

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
ABC Store Closing
« on: December 19, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
This weekend I saw signs that ABC Store on 31st bet 21st and Ditmars will be closing. They don't say when it will close.  I'm really not happy about this at all.  This store has everything you could want at great prices.  There aren't any other clothing stores in the area that sell ladies, mens, and childrens wear as well as having things for the house like curtains and bedspreads.  I wonder what will be taking its place.  I hope not an apartment building

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
Re: ABC Store Closing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »
That is a shame. It appears days are numbered for this type of retail. The real estate is just too valuable for this large department store type establishments. I wouldn't be surprised to see the phenomenon move over to Steinway St.

Offline animal

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:18:17 PM »
I think the property was sold a year ago or longer and the lease was finally up.

I hope it becomes a high rise. We need more rentals in the area.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »
I think the property was sold a year ago or longer and the lease was finally up.

I hope it becomes a high rise. We need more rentals in the area.

The last thing I would want is a high rise.  That's something that we don't and it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the buildings in the area.  They should open another store in that space.  That's what we need

Offline animal

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:17:47 PM »
Why would we need another store when there is Amazon?

We need more rentals. The only way to bring rent prices down is to have more units on the market.
I suppose a 500 unit building can go there and some retail or restaurants could go on the first floor.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »
Why would we need another store when there is Amazon?

We need more rentals. The only way to bring rent prices down is to have more units on the market.
I suppose a 500 unit building can go there and some retail or restaurants could go on the first floor.

I am inclined to agree. This is a zone that is desperate for new housing.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 04:27:54 PM »
Greetings ~ hopefully i copied the link correctly about the closing of ABC  :embarrassed:

goldenwood.nyc/our-company/news/articles/featured-closing-21-25-31st-street-astoria-ny-11105-635m

(Braun, I'm with you, although I did not frequent the place, it was perfect for me whenever i had last minute shopping)

C'iao for now ~

Happy Holidays Everyone  :grin:

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »
This came up in another thread. The building where ABC is located was sold almost two years ago for $6.35 million cash and at that time it was reported that ABC had 2 years left on their lease, which is why they are closing now.

It's my understanding that under current zoning regulations, a mixed-use development is allowed, i.e. retail at street level and two floors of housing. So no "high-rise" but it's likely that there will be new residential units built if the new owners decides to develop the property.

Modified to add link:
http://www.goldenwood.nyc/our-company/news/articles/featured-closing-21-25-31st-street-astoria-ny-11105-635m/

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »
I am inclined to agree. This is a zone that is desperate for new housing.

Depopulating the area would be my preferred solution....

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »
Curious. If one doesn't like dense population density, why live in the largest, most populated, most densely populated city in the country?

Offline therebels

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 06:09:16 PM »

Makes 2 of us.

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 07:08:54 PM »
Curious. If one doesn't like dense population density, why live in the largest, most populated, most densely populated city in the country?

"dense population density" sounds like a tautology. But that aside, perhaps there's a level I find tolerable and now it's been passed and things start getting annoying to me?

I can avoid people sufficiently due to my situation, but I can't avoid overpriced hipster nonsense... or post-hipster nonsense.... which is due to a bunch of people moving in here.

So, depopulating Astoria would be a win in my opinion.

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 08:08:47 AM »
abc store will not be opening in Astoria anymore -- they said the rentals are too high --

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »

Living in quiet areas like Astoria is what made living in dense, populous New York City bearable.  You'd go crazy in Manhattan, come home to Astoria to get sane.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life