relax

Author Topic: New Himalayan Restaurant  (Read 1923 times)

Offline TJT

• Senator
New Himalayan Restaurant
« on: November 15, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »
Just a word about this new Himalayan restaurant in town.  Definitely one of the better new dining options to come to the neighborhood, IMO.  Very kind and welcoming staff.   Clean and comfortable place, though a little more art and d├ęcor wouldn't hurt.  Music was very nice and perfect volume.  Liquor license coming soon.  Food was delicious.  The momos were a little disappointing.  I'm more accustomed to the round, heartier version.  These are crescent shaped and lighter - similar to Japanese fare.  The rest of the food was unique and very delicious.  Interesting spice combinations and the dishes are very colorful.  The Indian style cream of spinach soup is really something else.  This place should do well.  On Steinway right off 28th.  Next to where Cold Stone moved.

http://himalayanrestaurantandgrill.com/

Offline mm

• Council Member
Re: New Himalayan Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »
Interesting! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll definitely check this one out!

Offline LaoWombat

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:39:48 PM »
Agreed, so far so good.  The chicken is tender without being stew, and the sauces are distinct.  They serve bread with the rice dishes which is nice but a bit too carby for my taste.  The range of cuisines (Nepalese, Indian Chinese and Indian and Chinese (each distinct) is nice.  I have not been disappointed yet.

The wait staff also listens if you have any intolerances or preferences. 
Zen signature below

Offline hikaruhana

• Campaigning for Council
    • electric ladyland
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »
Another recommendation for Himalayan Restaurant and Grill here. I ordered delivery from them a few weeks back on GrubHub and it was delicious. Probably because I was wiped out after a long week, I accidentally clicked around too many times and ended up ordering 3 momo appetizers in addition to their mango lassi (which isn't overly sweet, in fact it's somewhat on the savory side of the spectrum which is nice). Pretty sure they threw in an extra mango lassi for free since I only saw one on the receipt and yet I got two. The delivery was prompt and everything was terrific.

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »
I went here yesterday and I liked it. Good food, good service. It was the early-dinner special, so the bill came out to about $17-18 and included appetizer, main course with rice and naan, and coffee (I think there was dessert as well that I didn't bother with).

Portion size was good.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
I went here yesterday and I liked it.

Did they get their liquor (or beer/wine) license yet?  They said it was coming "soon" a while back.

Offline LaoWombat

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 01:21:49 AM »
Went there to have lunch yesterday.  Closed.  Big sign saying "under new management" and several work permits on the windows.  <sigh>

I hope for the best, but the last time a nearby place changed hands, (Flames) it was NOT for the better.
Zen signature below

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
That was fast.  I don't think they've been open that long.

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
I had one meal there, which I enjoyed, but I suspected they wouldn't make a go of it. They didn't have the staples of most Tibetan/Nepalese places on their menu, leaning more heavily on what appeared to be standard (Northern?) Indian food. Always seemed pretty empty in that strip in "Little Egypt."

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »
That was fast.  I don't think they've been open that long.
I'm not sure what went on here but the website is still active and they're answering their phone.  I do think the location is a tough one and they needed to pump up business one way or another but I enjoyed my meal there and thought they had the potential to succeed with a little effort - and a liquor license.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life