relax

Author Topic: Hate crimes after Trump election  (Read 5981 times)

Offline Pete J

• Tourist
Re: Hate crimes after Trump election
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
It's a shame that in 2016 we, Astorians, who represent one of the most diverse counties in the country, are arguing over someone wanting to keep tabs on bias-based crimes in our neighborhood. Now that Trump has officially hired Bannon as chief strategist, a well documented white nationalist has the ear of the most powerful position in the world. 

Eamonn, Kelly O, just one simple question, are you racist? You know, fine if you are, there are a lot of you out there, but if you are not, why argue about this? There is no middle ground here, you are either for or against a racist America.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »
It's a shame that in 2016 we, Astorians, who represent one of the most diverse counties in the country, are arguing over someone wanting to keep tabs on bias-based crimes in our neighborhood. Now that Trump has officially hired Bannon as chief strategist, a well documented white nationalist has the ear of the most powerful position in the world. 

Eamonn, Kelly O, just one simple question, are you racist? You know, fine if you are, there are a lot of you out there, but if you are not, why argue about this? There is no middle ground here, you are either for or against a racist America.
Glad you asked Pete. I am an immigrant, a public high school graduate, and a newly naturalized US citizen. I am against all forms of discrimination and do NOT consider myself a populist or Trump supporter.

Offline Pete J

• Tourist
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
Glad you asked Pete. I am an immigrant, a public high school graduate, and a newly naturalized US citizen. I am against all forms of discrimination and do NOT consider myself a populist or Trump supporter.

I am actually quite relieved to hear that, why then are you trolling these folks like a right-wing bigot? Certainly if *you* feel victimized because of your race, ethnicity, or religious belief (if any) we want you to report it, and we want to stand up to it. This is a time in history for us to try a little more humanity, a little more humility, and a little more decency towards one and other.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 10:30:28 AM »

I am actually quite relieved to hear that, why then are you trolling these folks like a right-wing bigot? Certainly if *you* feel victimized because of your race, ethnicity, or religious belief (if any) we want you to report it, and we want to stand up to it. This is a time in history for us to try a little more humanity, a little more humility, and a little more decency towards one and other.
I'm not trolling them. Those incidents happened are I believe are directly related to the current climate in the country. The skin tone of a victim is irrelevant. If you have been singled out for religion, race, whatever, that incident is important and no one should be victim blaming. The bottom line is a lot of people on this board have an narrative and an agenda. If I had been a black guy and some woman yelled the N word at me, do you think they would have dismissed my claims over the "alleged" incident. I think we both know the answer to that. People are entitled to the truth. Not "their truth".

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »
If you have been singled out for religion, race, whatever, that incident is important and no one should be victim blaming. The bottom line is a lot of people on this board have an narrative and an agenda.

The only "agenda" I see is intolerance of hate crimes. Is that unreasonable to you?

If I had been a black guy and some woman yelled the N word at me, do you think they would have dismissed my claims over the "alleged" incident.

Nobody dismissed your claim. Learn how to read.

People are entitled to the truth. Not "their truth".

Then start with acknowledging what people are saying and what they are not saying right here in this thread. If we can't get beyond the truth of what's being said in this tiny forum then your call to acknowledge the "truth" is completely doomed.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »
The only "agenda" I see is intolerance of hate crimes. Is that unreasonable to you?

Nobody dismissed your claim. Learn how to read.

Then start with acknowledging what people are saying and what they are not saying right here in this thread. If we can't get beyond the truth of what's being said in this tiny forum then your call to acknowledge the "truth" is completely doomed.
I stand by everything. People are free to read through your responses and come to their own conclusions.

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »
I stand by everything. People are free to read through your responses and come to their own conclusions.

Do you see the difference between:

"Right now it's dark outside."
"Right now it's dark outside AND it's raining."

I don't think you do.

Offline Pete J

• Tourist
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
Sure. I had a black woman on the Q18 call me a cracker.Also a couple months ago some rifled a tall boy of malt liquor at me from the roof of the Woodside PJs.

I stand by you on this, biased crimes are not only those who start with white's as the perpetrators. And you are right, this may be in response to the current political climate, historically disenfranchised populations are pissed that as a nation we look like we are stepping back to the 1930s version of white america.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »
Where did I say I have been attacked twice since last Tuesday? Your slip is slowing my friend.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 11:22:07 AM »

I stand by you on this, biased crimes are not only those who start with white's as the perpetrators. And you are right, this may be in response to the current political climate, historically disenfranchised populations are pissed that as a nation we look like we are stepping back to the 1930s version of white america.
Thanks Pete J. At least some people are able to look at this objectively.

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
I re-read where you said "a couple of months ago" and deleted my post.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
I re-read where you said "a couple of months ago" and deleted my post.
Thank you

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
I stand by you on this, biased crimes are not only those who start with white's as the perpetrators.

Nobody is disputing that. The fact that you're talking about that illustrates exactly what people were actually talking about.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »

Hard to say whether Hate Crimes have in fact 'increased' since election, or whether this is hysteria/exaggeration perpetuated by liberal social media.  But let's say for sake of argument that Hate Crimes have increased.  I'd like to think/hope that this is a short-lived thing stemming from an adrenaline rush by certain eggheads who also happened to vote from Trump, and who feel emboldened and who may also be responding to the backlash and protests by Hillary supporters.  Let's face it...it was a very emotional election, and as Trump continues to flesh out his team and we are learning who is being appointed, there continues to be strong emotion, mainly from the Hillary supporters who are very unhappy. 

I was a Hillary supporter, as are most of my friends, and yet I actually had to sign-off of Facebook this past week, as the comments and behaviors of my friends on FB were truly making me insane.  I saw many posts on FB by Clinton supporters, announcing that any of their friends who supported Trump should 'Unfriend' them right now.  I saw a comment that with Trump supporters feeling so emboldened, that they'd 'not be surprised if some of the Trump supporters began 'raping and murdering Clinton supporters', and that 'Trump himself basically supports this thinking'.  Are you kidding me??!  Talk like this is pure insanity. 

Sadly, I think many HC and many Trump supporters are two sides of the same coin, with neither group allowing for critical thinking, or considering all viewpoints.  It seems many people simply ingest and then 'regurgitate' that which is fed to them by their own camp.  There is no middle ground anymore.  No conversations.  Just a lot of thinking that 'I and my tribe are always right' and 'you and your camp are always wrong'. 

Social media has only added to this problem.  Stories and opinions are thrown out there on social media, people latch on to them, reactions are swift and knee-jerk, people add their own Comments, Share/Retweet, and it takes on a life of its own.  Things spiral, and 'movements' are created within mere minutes.  Individuals' lives and careers have been shattered within minutes, not necessarily due to the gravity of what any one person may have done or said, but moreso simply due to the inordinate power that we've given social media.  It's insane.

I'm not sure I got why so many were protesting after Trump won.  What was the point...to say that you're not happy he won?  Duh.  It happens every election.  Someone must win.  And someone must lose.  I could have understood if folks had protested as soon as Trump became the Republican nominee.  Perhaps folks should have protested then, that such a person should not even be allowed to be a candidate.  But to protest after the election was all said and done?  Pointless. 

I'd also heard it said that people were actually protesting the fact that Trump didn't win the popular vote.  But again, if that were the true reason, then why haven't people been protesting prior to this, to get rid of the electoral college entirely?  No, I think people were protesting simply because they were upset that Trump won.  That, and the power of social media creating an emotional storm that they decided to become a part of.

I plan to sit back and see how this unfolds, and then as Trump puts forth legislation, or turns back legislation, only then will I respond in kind and decide whether I am motivated to protest.  But I'm not going to protest simply because I don't like the candidate that won the election.

Offline Egglantine

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »
This happened on Crescent Street (warning: language).

https://www.facebook.com/KarimFanPage/videos/10153933226601135/

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life