relax

Author Topic: Hate crimes after Trump election  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
Re: Hate crimes after Trump election
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »
"autocorrect", "sarcasm"...you're full of excuses, aren't you?

Yes, I think that anyone who starts posting their whining, "i'm a victim", racist dog-whistle posts (malt liquor) on a thread about hate crimes post-Trump election, probably deserves every last bit of derision thrown their way.  Not to mention your poor showing here last week with your attempts to shut down dialogue and engaging in name calling.

You reap what you sow.  No sympathy here pal.
I'm not making an excuse. Autocorrect changed what I obviously intended to write epithets. The malt liquor can thing and the woman on the bus both happened and were completely random as in I had ZERO contact with the person before I was called out for being white.

You think its okay for people to be harassed and intimidated that way? I know I don't want to live in that world. Feel free to disagree with me. Feel free to think I am an idiot. But no one has the right to threaten random strangers for any reason.

You are a hypocrite.

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »
You think its okay for people to be harassed and intimidated that way? I know I don't want to live in that world. Feel free to disagree with me. Feel free to think I am an idiot. But no one has the right to threaten random strangers for any reason.

You are a hypocrite.

Again though, the issue here is hate crime in the wake of a presidential candidate that has been flirting with clearly xenophobic sentiments. You can either post your own experiences or choose not to participate in the thread, but I absolutely think it seems odd when people post in this thread only to point out that they're white and are victims of hate crime and on top of that thinks that this thread is unfair or hypocritical etc and shouldn't be here.

Hate crimes went up even before this year, so it's a legitimate concern for a lot of people, again especially considering what Trump said during his campaign.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »
Again though, the issue here is hate crime in the wake of a presidential candidate that has been flirting with clearly xenophobic sentiments. You can either post your own experiences or choose not to participate in the thread, but I absolutely think it seems odd when people post in this thread only to point out that they're white and are victims of hate crime and on top of that thinks that this thread is unfair or hypocritical etc and shouldn't be here.

Hate crimes went up even before this year, so it's a legitimate concern for a lot of people, again especially considering what Trump said during his campaign.
I think its odd you don't think my experiences count. Anyways, feel free to exclude people because you don't get the answers or responses you want.

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »
I think its odd you don't think my experiences count. Anyways, feel free to exclude people because you don't get the answers or responses you want.

I never said I don't think your experiences count, neither did I imply it.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »
You said you find it odd.

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »
I used the word "and" for a reason. Go back and re-read.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »
I read that. Rationalize it any way you want but my comment no only stands but belongs on the thread.

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 11:53:32 AM »
I read that. Rationalize it any way you want but my comment no only stands but belongs on the thread.

Yeah, I know, that still wasn't what I was referring to. I wrote:

"and on top of that thinks that this thread is unfair or hypocritical etc and shouldn't be here."

What don't you get about that?

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »
Everyone knows your type.  You thrive off of making contrarian, white-victim type comments and changing the subject to your (alleged) experiences, while the topic is post Trump-election hate crimes.  Hate crimes have been going up here, and around the country this entire year and there have been 300+ (alleged) instances of racial and religious bigotry since Trump's election, and surprisingly New York is where much of it has been focused.

People need to look out for their neighbors and their fellow citizens and defend the values that we hold dear as Americans.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 11:58:08 AM »
So what is "odd" about my experience?  How is it not relevant to the question posed?

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
Everyone knows your type.  You thrive off of making contrarian, white-victim type comments and changing the subject to your (alleged) experiences, while the topic is post Trump-election hate crimes.  Hate crimes have been going up here, and around the country this entire year and there have been 300+ (alleged) instances of racial and religious bigotry since Trump's election, and surprisingly New York is where much of it has been focused.

People need to look out for their neighbors and their fellow citizens and defend the values that we hold dear as Americans.
My type? You mean someone who has been subjected to bigotry then gets shouted down?

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
So what is "odd" about my experience?  How is it not relevant to the question posed?

Again: "odd" refers to the entire sentence, of which what I quoted was an important key part, not just "your experience".

I'm not really sure things can be explained more clearly.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 12:04:57 PM »
Okay. Agree to disagree

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »
yeah, your type.  You thrive off of making contrarian, white-victim type comments and changing the subject to your (alleged) experiences, while the topic is post Trump-election hate crimes and the terrifying direction this country is headed.

Find the desperate attention you are seeking on another thread - the adults will continue the discussion. 

My type? You mean someone who has been subjected to bigotry then gets shouted down?

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
yeah, your type.  You thrive off of making contrarian, white-victim type comments and changing the subject to your (alleged) experiences, while the topic is post Trump-election hate crimes and the terrifying direction this country is headed.

Find the desperate attention you are seeking on another thread - the adults will continue the discussion.
I get it. You don't agree with me so my opinion doesn't count or shouldn't be heard. Very "adult" of you.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life